Thunderbird Stable Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WildByDesign, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks very much, Victek.
    You say, "That's my preference with something like Thunderbird to make sure that all the settings get carried over."
    What about a Thunderbird "Profiles" that is moved to and stored in another location?
    Is a moved Thunderbird Profiles location correctly recognized when 64 bit Thunderbird is installed over the top of a 32 bit Thunderbird installation?

For Windows, by default, Thunderbird "Profiles" is in AppData
    C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxx.default
    For the sake of imaging and backup, it is a good idea to move the Thunderbird Profiles location to another location, for instance to
    D:\Users\Username\Thunderbird
    N.B. For that to work, Thunderbird profiles.ini needs a couple of adjustments, reflecting the new situation.
    For details, see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data

The question is, is a moved Thunderbird Profiles location correctly recognized when 64 bit Thunderbird is installed over the top of a 32 bit Thunderbird installation?

2. guest

guest Guest

The path of a profile is saved into the file: "...\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\profiles.ini"
    After launching of the 32bit version of Thunderbird it is reading this file and now knows where your profile is (emails, settings,etc.).
    This will be the same for the 64bit version of Thunderbird.

= The profile (...\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default) can be moved to a different place but the location of the file profiles.ini is still the same.
    Both versions (32bit + 64bit) should have no problems in loading of your profile:

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Great!
    Thank you very much, mood. :thumb:

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Oh yeah I realize the meaning, it's just that I took the statements quite literally as though you guys had installed over top in same directory as the 32 bit installation. I should have known better, LOL :D

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I see what you mean. Because of the different bit versions I wouldn't have tried that. At a minimum it would break the convention of keeping 32 bit and 64 bit programs in separate Program Files folders, and worse it could corrupt the program. It would be interesting if someone tried it in a VM and got back to us ;)

6. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I have an rss feed in Thunderbird ESR 52.9.1 for Windows Club and recently noticed I can no longer view any of the windows Club content if I try to view the subject from within Thunderbird. If I do this, I am getting Secure Connection Failed. I usually use the link to view the article which lauches Firefox and that doesn't have a problem with the content. Anyone else have this or know how to fix it?

I'm not sure when this ended up being broken, because I used to be able to view the content directly in Thunderbird.

TBContent.png

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Delete your old feed and make a new one to the site.

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I was hoping that would fix it, but sadly it did not. The feed is working because I got some updates, but still can't see the content. Is it working for you?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I created a feed and it worked. I'll try it again.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Adric

Adric Registered Member

12. guest

guest Guest

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes.

14. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I tried both. The feed is working in that I get new entries and I can read the summaries with F8, but not when I open the message.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. Adric

Adric Registered Member

17. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Okay, I did a test and created a test profile to try the feed with the new profile. That works fine, so now I need to find what in my current profile is causing this problem. Sigh ....

Edit: Seems to be related to the prefs.js

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It may be corrupted for whatever reason profiles get corrupted.
    Are you using extensions that might affect the program?

19. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Already tested the extensions with safe mode, but I did find the problem. security.tls.version.max was set to 2 instead of the default which ended up being 3 after resetting that preference. Not sure why it was set to 2 though. Thanks for verifying that it was a problem on my side.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All is well. Good deal.

22. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

FWIW, the Monterail theme that I mentioned a while back has gone stable release now and is available on Thunderbird Add Ons site.
    Link: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/monterail/?src=search

I prefer Monterail over the default Dark or Light themes.

Also as far as full themes go, my understanding is that the next major release version of TB will no longer allow full theme support, only the Persona styles.

23. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

24. guest

guest Guest

25. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks.
    This one of the Release Notes is interesting:
    Interesting, as I'm still on 52.9.1 (32 bit). I guess that that automatic update to 60.2.1 will be the 32-bit; am I right? TIA

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.