Thunderbird Stable Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WildByDesign, Jun 10, 2015.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Version 52.8.0, first offered to channel users on May 18, 2018

2. guest

guest Guest

3. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I have a renewed suspicion that we might finally see 64-bit TB stable branch build for version 60 (ESR, though they don't call it that anymore). 60 Beta 7 is the first release build compiled for 64-bit that I have ever seen aside from daily test builds.

This could turn out to be good news.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Version 52.9.0, first offered to channel users on July 3, 2018

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Note the optional part of the EFAIL fix:
    Complete fix of the EFAIL vulnerability: 1) Removing some HTML crafted to carry out an attack. 2) Optionally: Not decrypting subordinate message parts that otherwise might reveal decryted content to the attacker. Preference mailnews.p7m_subparts_external needs to be set to true for added security.

6. guest

guest Guest

7. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Thunderbird 52.9.0 rescinded!
    Note that downgrading to 52.8. might cause Lightning to be disabled.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. guest

guest Guest

Version 60.0, first offered to channel users on August 6, 2018

11. WildByDesign

@mood Thank you for the heads up. I've been using these throughout the 60.x beta and RC stages and it's a fantastic release. It has been rock solid throughout my testing.

There is finally official 64-bit support. Anyone familiar with Firefox Quantum, there is the Dark and Light themes as well. Many. many great updates to the Lightning calendar functionality as well which is now built-in and distributed with TB. :thumb:

EDIT: One problem that I notice with this final 60.0 stable release build which was NOT present in the beta or RC stages is that, after installing 60.0 stable cleanly, it continuously tries to download an update (which makes no sense) and keeps failing. This happens everytime I launch TB. So there must be something server-side that the TB devs have triggered by accident and need to fix. I don't know if this affects 32-bit users or not though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  12. WildByDesign

OK this is interesting. I've taken apart the .MAR update file that TB 60.0 stable is pushing and it is labelled as 60.1.1. That version does not even exist so this is a problematic start to TB devs 60 stable release.

Can any 32-bit users confirm if this is happening as well? I'm wondering if it may only be affecting 64-bit users since 64-bit is new (at least officially). I will dig in some more and post as I find out more.

EDIT: I have had to disable TB updates for now. This is bananas.
    EDIT2: TB devs have now fixed the update issue server-side. All is well now. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  13. guest

guest Guest

14. WildByDesign

How to migrate 32-bit Thunderbird to 64-bit on Windows
    Link: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/07/how-to-migrate-32-bit-thunderbird-to-64-bit-on-windows/

15. summerheat

Not directly related to new releases but nevertheless noteworthy: Thunderbird has hired three new developers. The increased team will ensure that the big changes in Thunderbird will be brought forward.

Definitely good news :thumb:

FWIW, I'm running TB 60 without big problems. Most of my add-ons have been updated, some of them have not but I don't really miss them. With one notable exception: Unfortunately uBlock Origin doesn't work anymore - neither the legacy version nor the webextension (the latter as expected). Perhaps one of the new developers can help @gorhill to make the necessary changes.

16. Adric

Adric Registered Member

firefox-legacy-1.16.4.4
    o Trivial fixes for Thunderbird compatibility.

17. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

You can always set: javascript.enabled to false. For browser this would break most webpages, that need at least some ammount of Javascript. It's shouldn't break most emails, though. These are very, very rare scenarios.

18. summerheat

Yes, I know. But I couldn't even install it because TB says that the package "seems to be damaged" regardless if extensions.strictCompatibility is true or false.

19. summerheat

As a matter of fact javascript for emails has been disabled for security reasons in TB for a long time (since v. 3 if I remember correctly). It's even impossible to enable it manually. That setting you mentioned only applies to RSS feeds. That's why the TB security advisories usually contain the remark:

I have or actually: had been using uBlock Origin with all network requests blocked by default (regardless of any filters in the filterlists) in the global column (all cells set to red) of Dynamic Filtering. This is useful if you have to allow remote content (which is blocked by default in TB) in specific HTML mails as you can now create noop rules in the local column (so that static filtering is still done) for only those requests which are absolutely necessary to make the mail readable - thus easily defeating, e.g., any 3rd-party (email) trackers. Save those rules with the padlock - and they apply to any mails from the same sender. Needless to say that the same logic applies to your RSS feeds where you can similarly create individual rules for each feed.

This is really a great feature, and it would be a tragedy if uB0 were no longer be compatible. So I hope that the necessary adjustments will be made. Future versions if TB will fully support webextensions. I don't know, though, if the FF version will be supported without any adjustments.

EDIT: For anyone who's interested - here are the two relevant add-ons guides for Thunderbird:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_57
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_62

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  20. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Installed fine for me on TB ESR 52.9.1 [cf73ac06a3aceb2cc07ca6dc8e27d227 *uBlock0.firefox-legacy1_16_4_4.xpi]

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

22. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Over the top here also. No problems at all.

23. summerheat

Yes, no problem with that version. I was talking about TB 60, though.

24. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

What do you guys mean by "over the top"? When I installed the x64 installer I put it in the Program Files directory exactly where the installer wanted to put it, so when I was done Program files showed two installations, the previous 32 bit being of course in the Program Files (x86) directory. I simply uninstalled that one and all is fine.

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

"Over the top" just means installing the new version without uninstalling the old version first. That's my preference with something like Thunderbird to make sure that all the settings get carried over. Ideally a new version replaces the old version, but you're correct that in this case the previous 32 bit version is left in C:\program files (x86) and an entry remains in Control Panel/Programs and Features to uninstall it; thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to go back and remove the old version :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.