Thunderbird problems. Could NOD32 be anything to do with it.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Palombaro, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

I have just installed Thunderbird, importing settings from OE. Connection to my ISP's pop server works fine but cannot connect to the smtp server . The settings in both OE and TH are exactly the same. I have checked , rechecked , got friends to check, even got the wife, the mistress and the her husband to check to check and believe me they are identical. It is a known issue with Thunderbird . Having visited their support forum and their help pages I am left with only one very faint , very faint possibility that is is something to do with NOD32. For the life of me I cannot imagine what it might be but thought I'd give it a shot here to see if anybody has any thoughts on the matter.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Wow...that is a lot of checking ;)

I use NOD32 and Thunderbird hand-in-hand and have not had any problems. I don't believe I tweaked anything in NOD to get it to behave.

One thing to try is to disable IMON within NOD and see if it will connect. If it does, then you know that is the problem. If not, then NOD is probably not the culprit.

Thunderbird can be a little tricky to configure, I had some issues getting my smtp server to work too.

Who is your ISP and what smtp server are you trying to connect to?

3. blazr63

blazr63 Registered Member

I use both without a problem, no special config. Maybe shutdown NOD32 completely (kill both processes) and try T-Bird. If still not working then problem is elsewhere.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No problems using NOD and Thunderbird here. In fact, no problems using NOD with any of the four mail programs on my computer. :D

5. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I use Nod32 and Thunderbird and have absolutely no problems. Are you sure you have the smtp sever configured correctly? If you check tools-accounts-outgoing server, it should have the outgoing server name, port 25, use name (and password) should be checked (and user name filled in) password should be remembered by Thunderbird after first time. Under secure connections, check NO.
    Works for me. ;-)

6. Carver

Carver Guest

I have no problems at all with thunderbird and NOD32, just be sure to have the smtp sever configured correctly. When I was with the ISP "Earthlink" they used "smtp@ " in the address for the smtp server, now that I belong to the ISP RoadRunner they want "smtp-server. " . So double check you have it the way the ISP wants it.

7. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Who is your ISP, by the way? There may be some nonstandard setting for the ISP. For example, some Earthlink SMTP servers use port 587 instead of the standard port 25.

8. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

SMTP settings are correct.
    It does appear to be a problem that T-Bird has with some iSPs.
    Mine is tiscali.it

9. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Can you telnet to Tiscali's SMTP server? Open up a Command Prompt window and type the following:

telnet smtp.tiscali.it smtp
    or
    telnet smtp.tiscali.it 25

You should get some sort of welcome screen that looks something like this:

220 smtp.tiscali.it SMTP Service (name/version of e-mail server software) ready

To get out of this, type quit and hit Enter. Some e-mail servers will not let you see what you are typing, so it may not look like you are typing anything, when you really are.

This will at least let you check whether the problem is with Thunderbird, or if there is some other network-related error, like a firewall setting.

10. wattsvilleblues

wattsvilleblues Registered Member

Are you sure you're connecting to the Internet with the proper account? What I mean is, I used to have dial-up connection and an email address attached to it. When I moved onto broadband with a seperate company, I could still receive mail from that dial-up email address, but not send from any email program.

Clear as mud I know but does it make any sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.