ThreatFire problem - main page won't respond

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DickC, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickC

DickC Registered Member

I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. I have tried reinstalling ThreatFire several times thinking I had an installation glitsch because whenever I brought up the main page it would not respond. None of the buttons seemed to work though the button image responded with a "depressed" shading. The minimize and exit buttons at the upper right of the window did not work either. The only thing I could do to clear my screen was to use the "show desktop" button on my quicklaunch bar. While ThreatFire then indicates it's window is minimized, the only thing you can do (right or left click) brings it back up.
    I'm using XP SP2 and have Sygate and AVG active.
    I'm thinking it might be a driver problem. I've been using ASC and Glary Malwarebytes, and a-squared to thoroughly clean my HD of guck that became overpowering (the usual slowdowns and occasional BSODs). Maybe something got whacked that shouldn't have. Anyone know where I can download some software that will test whether XP has lost a driver? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i had this problem like a year ago and nothing i did fixed it. even help from their own forums culdnt get it resolved...

3. DickC

DickC Registered Member

That's really depressing. ThreatFire seems to be well spoken otherwise. If I find a solution I'll come back to post it.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

good luck with it. i gave up trying to find a solution after a while.

5. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have never had this sort of problem with TF before and have used many different iterations. It sounds like a conflict with one of the other security apps your using. I would try to disable AVG and/or sygate and reinstall TF. You might have tried this already but its worth a shot. Another solution would be is to uninstall AVG and/or Sygate, install TF, install Sygate and then AVG. It sounds like a hassle but it could work.

Ice

6. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Try these two reputable tools to analyze Windows

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.1 (for Windows XP download file name = MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi) download information and download at bottom of Web Page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AF-9DBE-4DCE-889E-ECF997EB18E9&displaylang=en

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit:
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

IceCube1010 suggestion in Post #5 along with an fresh downloaded copy of ThreatFire using no download accelerators is also advisable:

HKEY1952

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  7. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

To terminate an Windows Application or Process:

Hold down the Ctrl + Alt keys together on the Keyboard and then press the Delete Key.
    In the resulting popup dialog titled the Windows Task Manager, choose one of the Tabs: Applications or Processes, in your case Applications.
    Highlight the Application in question, in your case ThreatFire, and then click the End Task button at the bottom of the Windows Task Manager Dialog.
    This action will terminate the application and all of its processes from memory.
    Close the Windows Task Manager.

HKEY1952

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  8. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I had the same problem with a previous version, and several complete uninstalls/reinstalls still didn't cure it. It was fine at first, then one day problemmo.

I wondered if it was something to do with one of the regular updates ?

The latest version seemed to work ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.