ThreatFire new version 3.0.14 available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I knew, or hoped, my memory wasnt failing me yet.

here and here. Not a big deal and a great program, but yes, there are still issues from the past that never got resolved fully.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not yet but it,s in future plan I think.

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Ok well I am thinking of trying this out. How do you think it will run along side Zone Alarm Anti Spyware? I uninstalled Comodo for now.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Dieselman. I have used TF with ZAAS without incident, and very little if any browser or PC slowdowns. I think they actually compliment each other pretty well because of what each does to protect ones PC. I am currently running Spy Sweeper with TF, but I may go back to using ZAAS again myself, as I think TF protects against most of what SS does, and does it better.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

TF usually runs just fine alongside other security apps. As to its excellent capabilities, you can see a comparison of behaviorists/HIPS over YONDER.

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Well I just install TF and I came a conclusion which is the same about a year ago. No need for it. I ran some HIPS test and other tests. All test were stopped by my firewall and my virus scan. Zone Alarm blocked everything I needed it to so did NOD32. I am sure Threatfire serves a purpose but not for me. Comodo will do it all. By adding TF you add 2 more proceese and other security app to keep tabs on. Zone Alarm, NOD32, and now Threatfire. Too much I say. I am uninstalling it and keeping ZAAS and NOD32. I may go back to Comodo but the D+ is a killer nag.

7. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i experienced some incompatibility with OA Betas, but the deal breaker for me was when i read on Threatfires forum a comment from Djames (forum moderator/developer{?}) that solcroft regularly sent them malware samples that bypassed their rules...i was more than a little stunned by that admission.

while i am sure that there was a context for that comment, no end-user wants to hear other end-users are 'regularly' circumventing the protection.

Mike

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Well if your ever attacked by some tests then your covered. :D
    Just kidding Dieselman. :)
    TF running for a whole day here and behaving very nicely.
    If it continues to behave it may stay this time (yeah like I can keep the an app for any lenth of time)

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I here different reports on TF's effectiveness, but since it doesn't slow down my PC at all and runs so well with AVG, I figure why not keep it. Also I believe PC Tools is adding as much new malware to TF as it can and focuses on the more important ones to detect against. Not just that, but i believe TF knows the difference between some of these tests and real malware. I'll ask in the forum. James is always very helpful there. I was in the Comodo forums today and saw once again a lot of posts with some problem or another. I';; keep TF and maybe add Online Armor Free when the new release is out. LoneWolf, I already asked you if TF is running ok with OA in another thread, but is it?

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

So far it is.

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank you LW.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

IMO TF is much better than ZAAS with minimal popups. Infact it might never give a popup unless u get a real malware. Install and forget.

I have seens it acting very nicely while throwing actual malware ( not the HIPS tests)over it.

13. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I might give TF another try.
    I tried it with OA2 a while ago and ran into a couple of problems.
    On the OA forum there are also issues of running the two programs together, just do a search of TF.
    Mike Nash also mentions something in one of the threads about trying TF and seeing if the problem could be solved.

14. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

No thread here but posted the problem in the TF forums but received no answers for it.
    Nice to see you have no problems with it.
    I'll have to give it another go.
    Thanks, :)

15. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Installed TF and so far so good running along with OA 2.

16. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks aigle for the update and letting me know about it's compatibility with EAZ-FIX.
    Downloaded TF and working great. No problems anymore.
    Dan :cool:

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Where can I get the updated version? The only one I see on the Threat Fire site is the release from last December.

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

yes but it downloads the new one

19. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

There are two types of computer security people: the kind who get to deal with and get their hands dirty with malware on a daily basis, and those who don't and thus have no sense of scale and get panicky when they hear that their precious protections aren't *gasp* impregnable.

You might want to consider the reason why I send them samples, and continue to do so: because I believe in them. For all its flaws ThreatFire is a very powerful product that misses only the barest fraction of the very worst I have to throw at it, while doing so without requiring various inconveniences and user intervention demanded by other security products of this magnitude of protection ability, AND it is a freeware product. If you have no sense of realism and refuse to accept that ThreatFire isn't a 100% foolproof solution, then that's perfectly fine by me, but I'll appreciate it very much if you refrain from using the fact that I do send them malware as propaganda material for your personal paranoid biases.

20. cheater87

Is it ok to run Spyware Terminator's HIPS with Threat Fire or should I just have the RTS on and no HIPSo_O

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey cheater87. I ran ST with its HIPS enabled along with TF and had no problems. TF is a Behavior Blocker type of HIPS, while ST's HIPS are a little different and so they shouldn't clash.

22. cheater87

Thanks.

23. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Is'nt using TF an over kill when you have OA installed.
    Badcompany.

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I would appreciate knowing what level you have TF's slide set at?

25. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Level 3.

Any more, and TF begins producing more FPs than I find acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.