Threatfire Incremental Detection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diver, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have a little question,

i wonder why people moan about ram usage/cpu usage and processes in use, yet still add threatfire to there antivirus, and still complain (mention) about those issues. :rolleyes:

lol o_O

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Obviously you have a low-risk environment, because you apparently haven't seen how embarrasingly and disastrously AV software fail against new malware on an hourly basis, and your opinion on how well AV software seems to come from third-party tests.

Since that's the case, I'd say no, you probably don't need TF.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

ThreatFire adds very little to ram usage (about 7mb total here) and even less to cpu usage (0%) here... So I don't see any problem adding it as a supplement to any existing AV solution...

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hope im not hijacking the thread ,but ive just installed it after reading some posts here and find that 3 proccesses seem to require internet.(using sygate pro)
    1.TF service.exe
    2.TFUD.exe
    3.TFtray.exe
    I can possibly understand the first two requiring access but why would the third?
    tia
    ellison

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

ThreatFire compares applications installed with a community database of trusted apps. and will also investigate what you have allowed as trusted whenever it flags something for suspicious activity. (as well as checking for updates.)

6. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

Are you saying that if others using Threatfire allow bad things, that those things could become part of the 'trusted' list?

7. 19monty64

No, they are investigated before releasing it to the community. It is similar to the method used by PrevX. The trusted list cuts down on a lot of the false-positives. As with PrevX, no personal identifiers are submitted.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

After considering a variety of other enhancements to the standard security precautions of a signature based AV plus two way firewall, what makes Threatfire unusual is that it requires very little, if any, user intervention.

9. 19monty64

Definitely a set-it-and-forget-it app. "Smart-HIPS" is the label I've heard it given.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

For me, that is one major selling point...

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have been suing Threatfire on one of my two remaining Windows boxes and it has worked flawlessly with Avast!, this is an old clunker we keep around for emails etc., I have to say with only 384mb of Ram and a Athlon 1100 it brings no noticeable impact to the machine and serves its purpose well(quietly). Great addition to any Windows computer. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.