ThreatFire and CFP 3.0 w/Defense + enabled

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr45, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

^ Good idea or bad idea? One's a HIPS and one's behavior based so what could cause problems? Also if there aren't any problems wouldn't I become more protected?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Just because they are two differant types of protection does not mean that there will not be conflicts. There may or may not be, everyone's setup will vary. What works for me may not work for you. Other programs may conflict with security software that are not related to security. I've found that there's only one way to find out. But make sure you have a back up/snapshot/recovery/image of some sort, just in case something goes very bad. Believe me it can happen. You have the correct concept, that is the layered security setup is your best defense. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  3. gismo999

gismo999 Registered Member

I use both ThreatFire and CFP 3.0 w/Defense + enabled, and I have boclean and Spyware Blaster and Avira on startup and have no conflicts

On Demand I use SAS, A Squared, AVG Antispyware, Spyware Terminator.

Like Lone Wolf said "layered security setup is your best defense"

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Have you upgraded TF yet ?

I have problems between CFP 3 w/ defense+ off and TF.

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Now some of you are just getting a little too crazy. TF and Comodo together? Come on, even I won't try that. Of course since I can't install TF it helps. LOL.

6. gismo999

gismo999 Registered Member

Hi Perman,

Yes I have upgraded TF I have Version 3.0.13.9 and I left the protection level at default to 3.

I have CPF 3.0.14.276

I am running XP Home SP2 and I haven't had any conflicts yet , but if I do TF will be gone!

7. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Same here (without D+) on Vista HP. Alsongside NOD 2.7

No problems so far!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  8. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

It seems that many people really just lump security software together without understanding what they do or why you need them. What's even more amusing is that they come and post these random setups and ask if it's a good or bad idea.

Instead of such inane questions, I really do suggest that people take the time to learn the basics.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

TF's team has informed us (on other thread) that 3.0.13.9 does have a bit of flaw--causing system freezing during scanning ( I would assume during booting up)--the kind of problem I have encountered. Perhaps it is not compatibility issue. Lucky you.

P.S. a newer version is due to be out today.

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

CPF 3 and Threatfire? Simply overkill and likely to cause problems. Just choose:
    - Lock-down your machine (process allowed to execute, modules allowed to load, interprocess comunication, hooks, network access control, etc) with CPF 3 or
    - Rely on smart rules and a community database both looking for malicious behaviours on loaded processes with TF.

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

If I choose CFP 3 w/ Defense+ disabled AND TF, will this be still an overkill ?

12. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Obviously not. Comodo with D+ castrated from it is just a firewall, that's it.

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Having D+ disabled means that no additional hooks/drivers are placed (haven't looked that much at CPF3)?

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

15. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

How can CPF 3.0 & Threatfire be overkill?
    TF is basiclly a behavior blocker and CFP is a classical HIPS. I am running this combination without an antivirus and without any apparent problem.

16. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Diprivan:

The answers to the "how" question are in the thread link I provided.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1137326&postcount=7

When you have time, please read that whole thread and then I hope you will have an answer.

It's sort of like high blood pressure you have no symptoms but it there anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.