threatFire 4.0.0.6 just released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hany3, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

on contrary to the expectations , after it bought pc tools , symantic continues threatFire update
    symantic has just released the new updated version of threatfire , so that now we can say that symantic kept its promises in continuing pc tools product line updating independently and away from the main symantic product lines

ThreatFire™ protects when your antivirus can't.
    ThreatFire is an application designed to protect your computer against malware such as trojans, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers, and buffer overflows by intelligently detecting and blocking behavior consistent with that of malware. It uses advanced patent-pending technology to detect signs of malicious behavior commonly used by malware threats. ThreatFire is unlike traditional antivirus products that rely on old fashioned "signature" technology and require updating every time a new threat occurs. By constantly monitoring the activity on your PC ThreatFire’s ActiveDefense technology is able to hunt down and paralyze threats that are too new or too clever to be recognized by traditional security software. ThreatFire employs an intelligent behavioral engine to only alert you on truly malicious behavior, because sometimes even legitimate software may look malicious. This means you are only alerted when you really need to be.

PCs are under constant attack from viruses, spyware and identity theft. Every day you hear about a new threat to your PC. They're coming faster than ever before, they're getting harder to stop and traditional antivirus products are not able to keep up. Will your antivirus software catch the latest malware that just came out today? In most cases, no, because it simply does not know how to detect it yet. But ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology does, and has proven to provide up to 243% more protection when combined with traditional AntiVirus products.

ThreatFire is dramatically different to traditional antivirus software. Normal antivirus products usually need to have first identified and seen a threat before they can provide adequate protection against it. The protection is then provided via a signature or fingerprint update, which must first be written by an antivirus researcher. This creates a large window of time where threats are undetected and can therefore infect your PC even when you have antivirus software installed.

ThreatFire continually protects your PC against attacks by detecting malicious behavior, such as capturing your keystrokes or stealing your data, instead of only looking for known threats like normal antivirus software. By implementing sophisticated real-time behavioral analysis ThreatFire is able to stop never- before-seen "zero-day" threats solely by detecting their malicious activity.

ThreatFire's patent-pending ActiveDefense technology offers protection against all types of internet threats - both known and unknown — spyware, adware, keyloggers, viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkits, buffer overflows, and other malware. ThreatFire uses its unparalleled protection to hunt down and paralyze those threats that are either too new or too clever to be recognized by traditional "signature-based" antivirus software.

ThreatFire Highlights:
    • Persistent zero-day threat protection made easy for everyone — even novice users!
    • Perpetually ready for the next malware outbreak, with no signature updates required.
    • Runs in background without impacting system performance.
    • NEW! ThreatFire now includes advanced protection features including malware quarantine and removal, rootkit scanner and custom rules settings in both the Free and Pro versions.
    • Patent-pending ActiveDefense technology intelligently scans and analyzes computer processes to detect and block any malicious activity — without false positives!
    • Highest level of out-of-the-box accuracy. No need to configure baffling, technical security settings: just turn ThreatFire on and start blocking malware.
    • Protects against both known and zero-day viruses, worms, trojans, buffer overflows, rootkits and even some spyware.
    • Works alongside your current security programs — there is no need to uninstall your antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall or other security program before installing ThreatFire.
    • NEW! ThreatFire Pro includes PC Tools AntiVirus’s on-demand AV scanner, giving you added peace of mind so you can quickly and easily scan your PC for known threats.

screenshot from my pc

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/3886/threatfire4006ns8.jpg

homepage
    http://www.threatfire.com

download
    http://www.threatfire.com/files/tfinstall.exe

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Main changes, additions, bug fixes, etc . . .

UI
    Custom Scan Wizard
    Configure and run custom scans including selected files/folders with exclusions.

Context Menu Scan

System Status
    System Status tab on main menu. Includes relevant version/registration/status information.

Smart Update Options
    Configure update behavior via Settings->Check for Updates.

Alert Dialog
    Sensitivity Level information is included on the yellow alert dialog.

Localized quickstart guide is included in the release
    Online Help

Languages
    Simplified Chinese
    German
    Polish
    Portuagese (Brazilian)

Rules
    Device Driver Modified
    Catch malware that temporarily replace/modify system drivers and load them before SFP can restore them.

Program deleted itself
    Catch suspicious self deletion.

System service modified
    Catch malware that inserts itself into a previously defined service host startup list.

Malicious behavior sequence detected
    Generic rule for behavior profile detection.

Some other under the lid rules etc...

A couple of user requested (Thanks Kees1958!) custom rules added for user preference.

3. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

TF is one of the apps that really goes frequently on & off my system. I really like this application and its features, but dislikes the fact that it causes slow-downs at some occasions and also causes conflicts with some other tools, especially with Sandboxie when detecting a malicious activity inside the sandbox (TF deletes the parent process as well). Hopefully these side-effects have been adjusted with this new release.

/C.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is it free or paid now?

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Both. Eether/eyether. Whichevah.

See HERE young man! ;)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Mr Bellgamin.... ;)

7. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Not sure why but...the website states that the file size is 22.4 MB but upon download it shows to be 21.5 MB.

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Still no option to deny the action, only to kill/quarantine the process. It doesn't slow dwn the system like the previous version, however.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

bellgamin, have you gone back to TF with this new release? I recall reading that you dropped it when Symantec bought it. Interested in your thoughts. :thumb: or :thumbd:

10. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

i feel it's lighter than the previous versions with some interface and functionality improvement

11. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

hi cerxes
    after trying the new version of threatfire 4.0.0.6 , i can tell u that conflicts between threatfire and sandboxie no longer exists in the new version , threatfire no longer prompt the user about malacious activities when lanching sandboxie or any other sandboxied application eg. sandboxied browser

12. guest

guest Guest

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i am suing SB, didnt notice nothing abnormal .
    can u plz do report if its conflict by anyway with SB o_O?

cheers :thumb:

14. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Seems like they fixed the Firefox bug when updating extensions. I tested it on my Vista laptop with success!

15. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

It seems to be nice and light on my machine. And still for free.

16. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

As I gave it a quick run last night it seems pretty light.Note in the custom rules I checked the default boxes there is more of them then the previous version and afterwords it became like a hips, it questions my every move.what I found rather strange TF question some of its own counter parts such as TFtray, can Any one confirm this.Here is one of its own GUI.

Attached Files:

17. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I got the same.

I like where TF monitors outgoing network connections (even tells you which application is making the connections). It really fills the void if just using Windows Firewall while in XP.

As far as resources, both TF processes in Task Manager use about 7k total. Seems to me other processes are running a little higher than normal, as well.

18. Espresso

TF could monitor network access in v3 if you made the rule. Unfortunately, in v4 that rule stops working after a while and anything can get through. The only recourse seems to be a reboot.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Almost 2 years since Vista 64bit release and still no support for it.:rolleyes:

20. Trespasser

I was aware of and used the network access rule in version 3 thanks to Kees. I really hadn't noticed if applications are getting by my rule or not. Guess I'll have to check. What makes you think they are?

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I thought I was crazy but this happened to you also. It seems all the rules stopped working. :mad: I uninstalled and went back to CIS.

Ice

22. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Regarding Threatfire;

Who's virus definitions does Threatfire use now ? I've been told Trend Micro, but someone posted on another website that the definitions were totally proprietary to this particular application starting with the development of Cyberhawk. Are either of these statements true ?

Thanks.

23. Trespasser

Rules are working here.

24. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

hi Espresso , hi IceCube1010
    please refere to this thread in pc tools forum

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54333,

threatfire team couldn't reproduce the probelm of sopoing the network custom rules after reboot , u can explain there in details how to recreat the problem , so that threatfire team can fix the problem

25. Espresso

Apps that weren't in the Allowed list are able to access the net. It wouldn't stop anything.

The HOSTS file rule also stopped working, but there was a slight freezing before HOSTSMan was able to save the HOSTS file so it seems to be trying.

Mind now, this is after a few hours of usage, not immediate. No matter if I de-activate TF or the custom rules, it won't work again til I reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.