ThreatFire 3.0.13.11 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tsilo, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Early on when it was still CYBERHAWK one of the main reasons it grabbed my attention was that it "DID" also "TERMINATE" malware after you denied it. That was many moons ago and i'm not sure at which version that option was either removed or weakened, but it is sure a welcome compliment for any Behavioral Blocker that can also double as Terminator on programs that otherwise might punch on thru like was expressed above.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why do u think so.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1147501&postcount=37

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U should say that DENY option is replaced by Quarantine!

5. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Has anyone else noticed TF slowing their internet browsing? I never noticed it when I had Cyberhawk but I do notice a small slowdown with TF.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I did not noticed any internet slowdown at all.

Have you recently added a new firewall w/ HIPS ? or a new HIPS ? or a AV w/ web scanner ?

I have prevx2 and PRSC and Comodo firewall w/defense+ off.

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Tests with Super Pi, a popular CPU benchmark, show a 4% slow down after installing Threatfire. Its repeatable and happens with several different AV's installed. Try it yourself.

8. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I haven't changed anything on the machine other than uninstalling Cyberhawk and installing Threatfire.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

One thing I'd wonder about this is, what sort of tests is Super Pi doing? In my experience here so far in Win2k, TF is more or less transparent, no observed slowdowns or effects whatsoever. In Xp however, I did notice a little sluggishness in certain routine functions.

I guess the question is, if you're running TF, does it negatively affect performance on whatever routine tasks you do. In other words, does it matter in practice. Are the Super Pi results something to even consider or worry about? And even if they are relevant, is 4% noticeable?

10. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I noticed slower internet browsing also. The only other security software I had running was Dr. Web and Sygate Firewall. The slow down was enough to turn me off and I unistalled ThreatFire. Browsing speed went back to normal. If it wasn't for the slow down I'd still be using it.:(

Installed Norton Antibot and no slow down at all.

I hope the slow down can be fixed. ThreatFire is a nice program.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can't say that I notice any slowdown in browsing here on Win2k, but.... I may have seen a little on XP. As usual, gotta see what happens on each PC and then proceed accordingly....

12. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

The Threatfire free version includes many additional features previously found only in the Cyberhawk Pro version: rootkit scanner, malware quarantine and removal, custom rules, etc.

This may explain the speed difference.Its a different app. to some extent.

13. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Ahh-ha!!

So, I'm not imagining the niggles in the browser. Dang. Can't drop ThreatFire yet. I'm still on treatment. After overdosing on traditional HIPS I'm using Threatfire to 'come down'. I've just switched from level 4 down to level 3 and I'm coping with the solitude of 'free-time' quite well. Another week & I'll be 'pop-up' free, God willing.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I may have to revisit TF and see if I notice any browser slowdowns. I don't remember having any though, when I used it with Avast which has a Web Shield and ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware which has the Triple Defense Firewall.

15. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

IE still has a noticeable drop while using TF on my computer. I like the newest kid on the block (Opera) and it flies through w/ no problems. It would be nice if you could see the programs TF is monitoring like Norton Anti-bot does. I'm not much in blind faith while surfing the dangerous net out there!

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree Sportscubs1272. That's why I liked ZAAS. It has great logging and the pop ups are very informative. I'm not sure it's protective capabilities are as good as TF, but they're not shabby from what I have read.

17. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

It has been commented early on in this thread that ThreatFire is a waste with Norton AntiBot (& its alter-ego PRSC) as they are both doing the same job. And so one is enough?

My exerience with Norton AntiBot is that its official smilie = :isay: - Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Are they both only covering the "same bases only" rather than enhancing the 'behaviour blocker' defenses by having two (2) 'behaviour blocker'-HiPS?

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I really don't even know what each one does, so I can't say for sure, but my guess is that running both would tend to enhance the chances of a conflict of some sort arising since they appear to be similar in function... I guess try it and see?

19. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Just an update. I uninstalled Sygate and the slow down with ThreatFire disappeared. Browsing speed was normal. I reinstalled Sygate and browsing speed was still fast. Must have been a conflict of some kind between ThreatFire and Sygate. But I'm running ThreatFire without any problems now.

20. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

How well does TF protect the web surfer compared to a firewall with hips? I heard it didn't do too hot with the Anti-Keylogger Test (AKLT) or maybe the ring3 test?

I use Zonealarm Anti-spyware firewall with TF and Avira Premium. Online Armor free doesn't play nice with TF on my computer. OA has a similar traffic icon like ZA and a better looking interface too. I was wondering if the free version of Online Armor can pick up rogue keylogger type trojans or malware?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.