ThreatAttack VIPRE Advance Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spartan, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Just bought a 4 year license of ThreatAttack Vipre Advanced Security through a special offer of 30% they are running after having had tested it on my laptop, it's super light and had no false positives in my case

Love the UI it's very clean and easy to navigate through and add exceptions

So far very pleased with it especially after seeing how well it performs on both AV-TEST and AV-Comparatives in real world tests, FPSs, and Performance

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

When I tried Vipre, early last year, exclusions had to be added manually. There was no way to whitelist files from the scan results screen, or when restoring them from quarantine. This was a deal breaker for me. I have not tried v10, but I presume that it hasn't changed. The changelog for v10 says nothing about it.

3. Spartan

1.jpg

2.jpg

4. roger_m

@Phoenix I know you can do that, but it's not what I was talking about. I want to be able to exclude threats from the scan results screen. One of the actions for detected files (along with quarantine and delete, for example), would be to whitelist them. The last time I tried Vipre, there was an ignore option for detected files, but it would not add them to its whitelist. It just meant that when you got Vipre to process the detected files, any files set to be ignored would be left alone. But, they would detected again in subsequent scans.

5. Spartan

ohhhh gotcha, I can test that for you if you tell me where can I download some malware sample

6. roger_m

Here's something that is detected by Vipre. It's not actual malware, but a harmless PUP.
    download.uniblue.com/cm/ub14/driverscanner/ds-downloads/setup/driverscanner.exe

7. Spartan

Nothing detected even when I tried to execute the file:

2018-08-27_151911.jpg

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

While VIPRE is a decent program, my impression of it is that given it's results and general efficacy, one may be better off just using one of the better known BD engine products with established track record in protection as well as support (e.g. BullGuard).

9. Spartan

Does VIPRE use the Bitdefender Engine as well?

I did try BullGuard and its interface is horrid. I had the AV only and I had all these buttons in the UI to upgrade to diff. features like Firewall, file shredder, etc.

also, you cannot de-activate your machine yourself from the portal for reinstallation, you have to contact BullGuard to delete it, defeats the whole idea of having a web portal to manage your devices.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, VIPRE uses BitDefender engine. Last I checked (2017), it was using BitDefender's cloud and Active Virus Control/Advanced Threat Control too (not just the signature/heuristic engine).

BullGuard does not use BD cloud or AVC, but still manages equivalent or better results compared to VIPRE.

While this is slightly off-topic, for BullGuard you can in fact just turn off the license on a machine through the button switch when you login to the web portal. That immediately deregisters the device, though it does not remove it from the list.

AVG has the same problem, you cannot remove a registered device from their list - AVG justifies it by saying that their Internet Security/Complete product gives access to unlimited computers within the household, so it doesn't matter.

11. roger_m

I though it would be, as it is was detected by Vipre when I scanned it at VirusTotal. I'll install Vipre again and try it for myself, as it's been a while since I used it.

12. m0unds

m0unds Registered Member

yeah, has for a while now (since they started performing well in testing again) - the last time I tested it, they were actually using the full BD SDK including local engine, cloud stuff including website blocking and behavioral analysis.

The !BT part of the VT detection indicates a bitdefender sig, but VIPRE's PC client uses cloud stuff more, and I doubt the VT VIPRE engine does, so it's possible it's just a different static detection than you'd see on a deployed client.

13. PEllis

PEllis Guest

Same thing with adaware. You have to contact support for them to deactivate a license from a computer, despite having an account to manage your license keys.

14. faircot

faircot Registered Member

Interesting little test that.
    Both EAM and Webroot ignored this file after downloading it but Cylance immediately quarantined it and removed it from my downloads folder. Don't know what that proves though!

15. Spartan

how come no one talks about VIPRE here? I am using VIPRE Antivirus Plus as I find it very light and have the least trouble with it. I switched from ESET to VIPRE because their HTTP Scanner causes a lot of trouble for my VPN and me and my clients have issues with slow loading Outlook Emails which seems to be an on-going issue on their forums.

Now back to VIPRE, it's super light and gets great scores from AV-Comparatives just wondering why no one talks about it, not only here but in many other forums.

16. gery

gery Registered Member

does viper use bitdefender engine?

17. bigwrench9

bigwrench9 Registered Member

Yes.

18. Spartan

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks

19. Spartan

VIPRE Rescue September 21, 2020

https://www.vipre.com/support/rescue/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hola Roger -- did you yet have the time to give Vipre another try? If so, I would be interested to know whether or not Vipre has improved its exclusion process.

21. roger_m

No, I haven't used it for some time. I don't think there have been any significant changes made in the past few years.

22. Spartan

I've never had any issues with exclusions

ex.png

23. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

The PCMAG Oct 2019 Review of Vipre Advanced Security was good but not great like some others.

24. Spartan

It's one of the lightest AVs I've used. I prefer this to NOD32 (I have a subscription for both)

25. Spartan

Just renewed my subscription for 3 years/3 PCs now it doesn't show the expiry date but says life time...weird...

2020-09-25_151131.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.