Threads with new replies not bolded!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

UGH! I came here today and all threads that I read before retiring last night that have replies since I read them are not bolded! To make it worse, these threads have a blue envelope by them meaning no new posts when there are new posts! How in the world do I tell what threads have new messages o_O

Something is not working right. In the NOD32 forum, I see three threads bolded. These are new threads that I have never seen before. I see a bunch of other threads, many of which are ALSO BRAND NEW TODAY, not only NOT bolded but the envelope beside them is BLUE meaning no new posts. These are new threads that were not there last night so how can they have no new posts since I last visited?

It's like this in all my browsers. Awful. :( I now have to recall the exact time I last read a thread and then look to see if there is a reply later than that time! That is not going to work. The old way of putting the word "new" by the title of each thread that had been read and now had a new post since my last visit or a thread bolded that I have not read at all worked well.

I looked in my control panel and read all the F&Q here and see nothing about this. If I am supposed to put all threads that I follow in some kind of favorites thing there is no instructions about that and I HATE that sort of thing and have been fighting with Justin about that for a long time over at dslr. I just want to be able to come here and have the threads that I have not yet read, but that may have been started several days ago, as well as those that are brand new since I was here last to show bolded. Plus, the threads that I have read in the last visit which now have new posts should show bolded. Plus, the envelopes on all these threads should be white not blue as I am seeing.

(Further, there is that dang smilie again and I do NOT have three question marks in a row. Looks like he has adoopted me and is going to follow me about everywhere...well I can get used to him :D...but not the way the threads are displaying).

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm... Well, I haven't seen this yet myself but we'll have to look into it. One thing that might be a good idea is to "catch up" in the sub-forums you are interested in the next time you are here, and then go to the main index page and use the button that says: "Mark Forums Read", which literally sets all posts everywhere as read by you in the database...

The reason for this suggestion is that there may be inconsistencies in the posts database because of how exactly the historical posts were all added. The "fresh start" on new posts might just correct the problem for the future.

It'd be good if everyone does the above procedure to catch themselves up, as well, and then keep an eye out for this behavior and if it occurs, make note of what the forum says in the upper right corner: "You last visited: Day/Date/Time" and report that along with any other details.

Now, all of the above said... Unfortunately there are no options in the software for us to change that can make a difference to this behavior. That's simply not a configuration option we set here. If anything, it is a bug and we'll have to gather details about it and see if the vBulletin folks are aware of such a problem and see if they can develop a solution.

Side detail... Actually yes there are three question marks in a row at the end of your first paragraph. Just hit the quote button on your post and look at the details in the standard post editor.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Duh...
    :oops: You are right! I could have sworn I hit that question mark key only once. I'm going to have to watch that...habit I guess and at other forums there isn't this smilie so I haven't realized that I do that.

I'll take your advice about the threads and then watch carefully to see if it happens again and if so I'll document it. Let's hope "fresh start" fixes it for future new posts...this sure doesn't sound like a headache you guys/vBulletin need! Maybe this was also just some one time fluke as the site shakes down to normalcy.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

There is something wrong with the NOD32 version 2 Forum on this software. The other forums that I have visited (which is by no means all) seem ok. I came here today and see a bolded thread there. It states on the thread page that the last post in this thread was "today at 9:17AM" by The Quest but the time on the post itself is "11:21PM yesterday".

Further problem is that after I read the new post and I click on "Nod32 version 2 forum" the thread remains bolded. I think click "refresh" and the thread remains bolded. I read the thread again. Repeat the above. The thread remains bolded.

Yesterday, long after I had done the reset to show all forums read, I found several threads in the NOD32 version 2 forum with new posts since I had last visited and they were NOT bolded. Now I find a bolded one that refuses to unbold after reading several times. I also noticed yesterday that the times were messed up on the posts in that forum like the example I have provided today.

I also am having a problem with this software not showing the correct visit time. I had saved the tab last night so when I opened that tab today it should be showing the current visit, but it shows last night's time. In fact, it showed 11:10PM and I refreshed but nothing happened. I refreshed again and nothing. I refreshed a third time and finally the screen flickered many times and bounced up and down repeatedly and then it showed last visit as 3:12AM. Why isn't it showing the time I visited now which is around 3PM? Not 3AM as that was my last visit last night.

Why am I having so much trouble getting the page to refresh here? It's not my cache which was set to zero until yesterday when I learned that was the reason I couldn't download extensions. So I set it to 5000kb. But Firefox was not refreshing properly here before I set this small cache. To make sure, I just cleared the Firefox cache and went back to NOD32 ver.2 forum and that thread is still bolded, the time of the last post in the thread is different still than the time for that post shown on the main page of threads and I still see the wrong time for my current visit.

OK. I just opened Mozilla for the first time since I arose today. Mozilla had one tab saved and it was a tab for the NOD32 forum. When it displayed the page, it first showed 2:01AM as time of last visit and then immediately changed to 3:12AM which is what Firefox is showing. Neither is correct. Mozilla shows that thread as bolded.

I just opened IE and came here. It also shows the 3:12AM time for visit. It showed that thread as bolded. I've read that thread a dozen times now so it shouldn't do that. I read it again in IE. Ahhh! IE then unbolded it. So, this is a problem with Firefox and Mozilla? I don't think so because Firefox unbolded threads in this forum today after I read the posts so it is just something with NOD32 forum. Plus, that thread should not have been bolded when I viewed the the thread list in IE anyhow. I had already read it many times in my other browsers.

I just looked at this forum on IE and all the threads I read a few minutes ago on Firefox are bolded on IE. Why? It appears this software doesn't properly notice what I am reading or not reading. It doesn't bold unread threads, but continues to bold read threads.

I never had problems on the old software of this nature. I could be logged in here on all my browsers at the same time. Or be on here on one browser and minimize that and then open another browser and come here and no problems. Now it looks like I can only use one browser at a time here and I cannot save this site as a saved tab but must come here from the address bar as a "fresh" start, so to speak, each time.

5. LowWaterMark

Okay, lots of information in that post... So let's start in one place. What NOD32 thread specifically is the one with the last post differing? That problem could well be a corrupt thread/post count issue and have nothing to do with what browser you are using. I'll start there for now while I consider all the other issues.

6. LowWaterMark

Last visit as defined by the software is the previous visit, not the current visit. It will not change until you logoff from the current session and that session times out. So, it may well be that truly that was your previous visit since you maintained your session and no amount of refreshing will make that time "now".

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Sorry. I meant to link to that thread.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27814
    I have to rush now to go running before dark. I'll post more when I get back. I just went to that thread and it has the 9:21 AM post plus one just above ...neither of which I had seen until just now. So there is a time problem.. it is either this Firefox or something to do with tabbed browsing and saving the tabs and coming back and the dang site won't refresh. If this the case, this a BIG problem for me. But then IE on a fresh start today (no tabs there to save) showed me the old posts too. So this must have to do with not logging out on Firefox/mozilla and having that affect IE too in that the old stale stuff from the last visit doesn't ever refresh unless I do what?

The reason I finally saw those posts is because the time of last visit now shows at 3:59PM which is when I was last here. I dont understand. Why did the time finally update? I didn't close the tab. In fact, I have tabs on both mOzilla and Firefox for here that I have been using off and on all day. The time currently is 5:45PM.

This problem is similar to what Firefox was doing on the old software but not the same and Mozilla was NOT affected at all on the old software. Ie was ok on the old software but I hated using it as the text was real tiny and it wouldn't enlarge. Now IE acts crazy also.

Gotta get out of here...I wrote this really fast...I hope I made some sense..:)

8. LowWaterMark

Hmm, unfortunately I can't recreate a problem with that thread here. In the sub-forum index it shows the last post was (relative to my time zone EDT): "Yesterday (April 14) at 3:17pm". Inside the thread itself, the last post is also by "The Quest" posted "Yesterday at 3:17pm". The reply count is 10 on the index. The total posts within thread are 11 (1 main post and 10 replies).

So, there is not a specific post count error on that thread in the forum database. What exactly you are seeing, I don't understand, but the post database itself is correct, so it must be browser and cache related again, as it appears most of your problems are.

Somehow the viewing of old cached images of threads are what seems to be happening across all your problems here. But until we get a lot more data, especially from other users who are seeing the same thing as you, we can't say anything for sure.

There are no settings in the forum software for enabling or disabling caching for those viewing this forum. Nor are there settings available for different client browsers. We don't have any options to change or tune any of these things in the software.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One minor correction if I may, Mike -- if you hit Mark Forums Read, the "last visited" display will change to the current time, same as if you'd left and immediately came back in.

10. LowWaterMark

Ah, I never noticed that Mike, thanks. I just tried it and it did indeed update my last visit to the moment that I pressed the button.

I guess that makes sense, too, because vBulletin tracks read messages as a relationship between last session and the time the posts were made, so I guess the "Mark Forums Read" button accomplishes its task by updating your last visit time.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The crux of the problem may be here, I think, in my habits which I think maybe don't get along with the software. I never log off a site I visit daily and I usually only close my browsers before retiring for the night. I also usually save Wilders tab as part of all the open tabs I save when closing Firefox and Mozilla for the night. As you know, I spend the majority of my time at dslr and with how login and cookies etc are used there I have no problems like this there nor do I at Computer Cops where I spend some time also.

Since I don't ever log off in the sense of logging out...how and when does the software decide I have been away long enough that the software ends the session? Let's say it is an hour. Then why if the tab is saved overnight and it loads when I load Firefox the next day...that's been about 9 hours since I've been here so shouldn't the session have been ended a long time ago and why does the old session page load the next day anyway?

This is really screwy because this General Topics forum didn't have the stale page problem today only the NOD forum. At least that is what I recall and a bolded thread in General Topics unbolded after I read it.

I suppose I need to keep a notebook and pen handy and take a lot of notes as this is very confusing. Logging in and out everytime would probably fix this, but UGH! I do not want to do that. I don't mind though not saving a tab for here overnight. Maybe if I don't do that I would at least get the fresh page the first time I come that day. !

Explain to me why when I clicked preview just now, the time of last visit changed to 8:26PM which is correct (it's now 9:01 and I've spent the time reading your response and writing this). So, the session times out after 25 minutes and so that is why it changed? But then it hasn't been changing other times when I have been "idle" here or gone from here for much longer.

You know, none of this makes slightest bit of sense to me. When I came back here from running, I clicked refresh and I saw a new post from you and a new one from MikeBCda yet I was still in the old session so I shouldn't have seen them right? Unless this forum works right and the NOD one doesn't ....or unless the gremlins are wrecking havoc here on my computer and roaring with laughter at my puzzlement and frustration. :D

12. LowWaterMark

Well, session timeout is 15 minutes. It's the same amount of time used to show the list of active members on the bottom of the main index page here. So, I imagine the 15 minutes expired while you were typing out the above post, so your last visit updated accordingly.

As for the rest, I'm unsure. There's a lot going on there. I don't understand the problem you had in the NOD32 forum at all as that sounds very different then all the rest - like a stuck page or a bad thread, except as I mentioned above, the thread was fine here and in the database. It's just you were seeing it differently for some reason.

Unfortunately, all we can really do here is try to figure out how it works. We can't actually make any changes to anything because these are not "settings" that can be adjusted. At best, we may uncover a true bug and see if there is a report of it at vBulletin. Otherwise, it's more that we're learning how it really works.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I give up. The gremlins are having so much fun.:D The internet hiccuped while I was asleep and now the NOD32 forum works. I was convinced you had found the problem and fixed it because I hadn't yet read this reply of yours.

I dunno. I came here today via a saved tab in Firefox and the time of last visit showed 1:20AM. I clicked refresh and the time changed to 3:31AM which was when I got off the computer to retire for the night and saved the tab and closed the browser. The refresh gave me 4 bolded threads. Refresh before, in the NOD forum was not refreshing. Now it is. Go figure.
    I read a thread and saw all the replies...not like yesterday and before when I would see the latest replies listed on the forum page listing the threads but then wouldn't see the posts when I would click on the thread. Also, today when I finished each thread and clicked on NOD32 at the top to take me to the thread list, it refreshed! The thread was unbolded as it should be. Then I came to this forum and it is displaying the threads properly bolded, etc.

So things are working almost as they should. Not quite though. I clicked on my Mozilla tab while typing this and it opened to the NOD32 forum and had all those threads I had just read on Firefox bolded. Ugh. One of them had a new post since I read the thread a few minutes before on Firefox. So that one being bolded makes sense. The others though had no new posts since I read them in Firefox and shouldn't be bolded on Mozilla.

It is like refresh is working half way. :) Mozilla still shows last visit as 3:31AM like Firefox shows. I then left this page on Firefox and went back to the NOD32 forum and it shows that one thread that had the new post when I was on Mozilla a few minutes ago as bolded and the new post is listed. So that isn't working right. I already read the thread on Mozilla.

This still doesn't make a lot of sense. But it is much better than it was. So, I am grateful for that! Maybe the gremlins will fix it even better tomorrow! Plus, as I have said before, I really like the display with the new software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.