[Thread split]MRG Flash Tests 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LoneWolf, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Mayday Mayday Mayday Webroot is down:'(

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

And for that matter, where is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware o_O

3. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Kaspersky & Emsisoft perform exceptionally in test after test. I have neither, but will consider both on my new computer based on their consistent high performance.

DefenseWall continues to score very well. Just the well-known 64-bit limitation..

Zemana also tests very well over and over. I tried that one -- but to me, it still seems like a product that is young and somewhat problematic. But this could be a great product in time.

I don't like complaining about testing... but it does seem that Sandboxie possibly didn't get a fair shot.

I keep thinking that MSE will eventually come around. With the resources of Microsoft... But it continues to under-perform.

Is getting a "D" better than getting a "P" on this test?

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Good question...a lot of noise and too much talk...if they weren't ready to test some apps they shouldn't declare such plans :cautious:
    :thumbd: for MRG

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Response from Sveta over at MRG website:

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

One is Protected and the other one is Detected . . . I was wondering the same. :D

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Not necessarily. P means they didn't detect the simulator as malicious but prevented it from capturing data, so it will protect against every malware that uses this method even if the product does not detect it. D means they detected it and it wasn't able to execute but that doesn't mean that they will be able to detect other variants as well, however we do not know if the product would earn a P as well if execution would be allowed.

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Sorry, but I rather will not change my mind that was simply unprofessional. First notice was hanged ca one month ago...they did know that Hitman is beta version and not necessarily it will have stable version in few days?...there was no agreement between Datpol and MRG about testing with new simulator when SS was listed in announcement?
    It could been happen with amateur who tells "I will do bla-bla-bla etc...in few weeks...I didn't do it?...ups it was so a little joke" but not with organisation that will be fair, honest and responsible.
    The list of tested apps was removed...why?...maybe because it was not "the list of fame" but "the list of shame"?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  9. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Isn't every program tested with default settings?

If so then Sandboxie's score is fair. Most users don't tinker with settings, though there are probably not too many average users using Sandboxie.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't think so. There are 17 "End Point Financial Fraud Prevention and Anti-Keylogging Applications", 14 of which are pure 'detectors' and are designed to protect financial transactions.

Sandboxie, Bufferzone, and Defense Wall are designed as sandboxes, they don't detect anything. Why are they listed with those applications in the first place? Now the test has the only purpose to check which applications block malware from copying and sending data back to MRG.

Sandboxie can be configured to block any unauthorized program to run within the sandbox, and to stop any unauthorized program from connecting to the Internet, and sending data back to MRG. That's why it is not fair to test it under these circumstances with default settings.

I'm not even sure whether it would have worked anyway, as their 'Simulator' was downloaded outside the Sandbox in one instance and through USB drives for other tests. Still nobody has explained how Defense Wall managed to function with a 64 bit system.

Who is going to buy Sandboxie without a bit of interest in computer security?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  11. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Ilyia responded this:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2145481&postcount=445

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

A clone of the image which contains a fully updated Win7 SP1 Ultimate 64bit.

13. siketa

siketa Registered Member

DW is not designed as sandbox.
    :rolleyes:

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

From the Defenswall home page:http://www.softsphere.com/
    "DefenseWall Personal Firewall - the world's first sandboxing-style personal firewall solution"
    "DefenseWall Personal Firewall is based on a sandboxing approach that uses rights restrictions and partial virtualization. It now comes with an integrated firewall. "

15. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is not classical sandbox like Sandboxie or BufferZone.
    AFAIK, it doesn't create any kind of virtual environment.
    It runs untrusted files with very limited rights and traces the changes they make.
    Later, you can revert them with Rollback feature.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

16. LoneWolf

DefenseWall in a nutshell is a Host Based Intrusion Prevention system that uses policy restriction, sandboxing and partial virtualization.
    For a much more detailed understanding on what DefenseWall is or is not just click on "online help" between the buy and prolongate options.
    It is pretty much the help file that is contained within the program itself which is quite detailed and a must read for anyone interested in applying this type of approach, which is a very strong one at that.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I really don't care what DefenseWall is after all, except that it doesn't run on 64 bit environments, and in this test apparently it did. No matter what Ilya replied, I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation about what happened.

18. LoneWolf

That's your prerogative, but my post was not just for your benefit, I was trying to clear the air on exactly what DW is for those interested.

I'm good with what Ilya stated but perhaps Sveta will pop in here to explain it in more detail for you and others.

19. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You might be good with what Ilya responded but his answer doesn't make any sense. IMO.

Bo

20. SLE

SLE Registered Member

dispite that DW-issue, there is much more to explain about this test...too many strange things all over, so that I don't believe anything of it.

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You are right. To me, publishing results 15 days after they were supposed to be released reminds me of prize fights in which adding the cards to get the winner takes an hour or two.

Bo

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If i remember correctly the MRG financial simulator was able to bypass comodo quite easily.
    I do recall comodo was even uninstalled by an MRG test bat file.
    I certainly hope comodo has addressed these issues.:ninja:

23. Sevens

Sevens Guest

To my knowledge nobody has proved there tests wrong. Defensewall just don't get beat anywhere. The programs that prove exceptional most people agree are. The programs that are letdowns and don't live up to hype have a few people crying foul. (usually the same programs and the same people.) If a program is disappointing on there tests, I reevaluate the program before I doubt MRG's tests. Besides that who else has tested Comodo Internet Security head to head against some of the bid guns. Thanks MRG for some tests that mean something to real users. Rocky

24. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Still wondering how they could test it on a x64 system.

25. IBK

IBK AV Expert

See footnote on last page of the report. DW was tested under 32-Bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.