[Thread split]MRG Flash Tests 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LoneWolf, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I bought two lifetime licenses when they were first offered. I agree that it does not offer so much now. MBAM has far surpassed it in my view.

Jerry

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

1. Sandboxie is worth paying for ;) I prefer most free software to paid solutions, but not always.

2. If I've had to clean an infected machine, they've generally been running Avast, AVG, MSE, Norton or McAfee.

3. You don't remember familes of soldiers in Iraq sending their sons combat armour because the army wouldn't? The choices for weapons are usually what is the cheapest to manufacture in bulk, e.g. M16 in Vietnam war, which lead to death of troops due to misfiring/jamming.

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

My experience is similar, however the last few dozen infected machines I have cleaned were all running either Norton (80%), McAfee (15%), and MSE (5%).

And, no, I am not trying to "start anything" :p just stating a fact.

4. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Sure.. not starting anything. Why make a comment like that if its not meant to insinuate something. By the way, even if you were trying to insinuate something, your observation and implication are totally explainable. Its because those guys have the highest market share. Thats like the valet guy saying "The last few cars I parked were mostly black, white or silver". Hell ya.. thats because those are the most popular car colors.

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

That's fine with me ;) We can only say what we experience, and look for explanations as best we can.

6. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

RJK3 and qakbot,

You are both correct in your last posts. :thumb: What I didn't say what that I have not had to disinfect any computers running AVG or Avast in the last year or so, only the other three listed vendors.

This has been my recent experience; your highway mileage may vary.

7. malexous

malexous Registered Member

8. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

There is a good reason for your findings. 95% of the average pc user only knows about Norton for security. Norton also comes pre-installed on most pc's now a days along with McAfee. People allow there Norton subscription to expire then they ignore the pop up warning. After that they are vulnerable to malware cause they no longer get definition updates. I have seen a lot of infected pc's running Norton. But yet when I open up Norton there subscription is months expired. I have also seen it where 3 years later they are still running the same version of Norton. Once again ignoring the upgrade pop ups.

Same goes for Windows updates. I have seen at least 1,000 pc's with updates ready to install but customers just ignore that cause they cannot be bothered. So most of the time its not Norton to blame but the user sitting in front of that pc.

9. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey Aventador,

Sadly you are "spot on" with your findings that many systems are, indeed, running with expired security software. :eek: I am not going to speculate on the percentage of these systems but simply say that it speaks volumes about an awful lot of folks with no clue what computer security is all about.:'(

10. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

congrats Eset:thumb:

12. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Finally. It's about time.

13. vojta

vojta Registered Member

"Congratulations" McAfee.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Again, what's SAS doing in that test? SAS is pure crap.:thumbd:

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

As usual the awesome EAM rocks.:):thumb:

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think they are showing what they are capable of :) As all the other vendors ;)

17. gugarci

I'm happy my current AV's, Emsisoft and Avast, did well. But I was eagerly waiting for this test mainly to see how the new Emsisoft with the new BitDefender engine would perform.

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah they are showing what they are capable of alright - failing. I was a huge fanboy of SAS. Now It's just a huge disappointment. :(

19. gugarci

At one time I used to use SAS on all my PC's. But about 1 year ago I stopped using it and uninstalled from all my PC's. Malwarebytes and HMP are much better compared to SAS.

20. carat

carat Guest

+1 :thumb:

21. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

"Congratulations"? you mean in the sense of most rapidly improving detections in 12 hours - from "Worst" at 0-hour to "Much better" 12 hours later ?!

I'm giving "Total Protection" a drive at the moment. It is solid once up and running form a couple of install problems. I think it's AV sigs are only updated once a day as far as i can see. Also doesn't look like and cloud action happening? I might run it with MBAM pro to cover some more bases. My wife likes McAfee purely as it's one of the only AV's she has heard of and it doesn't 'speak' much.

I installed BitDefender and the wife said that the desktop icon thingy looked like a weapon that batman would throw at the bad guys. Looked a bit dark and grey fro her liking. Is there such a thing as a 'girly' AV?!

22. gugarci

A lot of AV signatures are updates more than once a day. For example Emsisoft updates it's signatures every 1 to 2 hours per day.

23. Esse

Esse Registered Member

You mean like a pink one ;)
    First of the vendor who comes up with a pink inteface and icon, no matter how crappy in detection, will very soon be a hit due to this fact alone. :D

(Sorry girls, could not resist)

/E

24. gugarci

Maybe you can find one that uses skins.

25. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

Think I found one. AV & Firewall in one. Pink. Specially for girls. The missus would love this.

hello-kitty-virus-protection.jpg

AAAADD4omHwAAAAAAAQWMQ.png

hello-kitty-virus-protection-1.jpg

Need to check if there are localised versions, my Chinese is a bit rusty.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.