Thoughts about Spycatcher Express?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nomarjr3, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I found some other threads related to this program, but it seems they've been abandoned.

Anyway, about Spycatcher Express, is it a good program?

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

At least it's not listed in malwarebytes.org or in spywarewarrior.com as a rogue, which is good.
    My advise: Stay with SAS or MBAM, it doesn't get any better and they are free.

3. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

I agree with Hurst, I have MBAM - and Hazard Shield:thumb: : www.orbitech.org/

It is light : 928 KB ... on demand scanner ... QUICKLY and free...

Look to thread : " Your NEW BEST Free Softwares Anti-Malware and Windows cleaners..." - August 10th, 2008 , in Forum : Software & services ...

4. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yep. SAS & MBAM Would kill Spycatcher :)

5. nomarjr3

What the?
    You almost infected my computer with that rogue software!!! :mad:

It's SHIELD.EXE, a malware program.
    ThreatFire has saved me yet again.

Don't suggest any crap that could destroy others' computers!!
    I've got dozens of new data I haven't backed-up yet!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. PROROOTECT

# nomarjr3 : Hazard Shield have hazardshield.exe ... CLEAN.
    hazardshield.exe is CLEAN .
    Hazard Shield is CLEAN .

Thanks , PROROOTECT

7. nomarjr3

Well, Threatfire says otherwise.

Threatfire was able to identify it as SHIELD.EXE.
    Don't tell me that's a FP, 'cause TF rarely gets FPs.

Maybe you provided me a wrong link or something??

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I can confirm that PROROOTECT's url downloads shield.exe

Hazard Shield is NOT listed in rogue lists (but a lot of other "shields" are -spyshield, adwareshield, webshield, etc-)
    VirusTotal scan of shield.exe shows 7/36 detectios, most of them flagged as AdWare.

Stay away from this crap.

10. PROROOTECT

Hi,

# Hazard Shield :

Comments of HURST and nomarjr3 seem to be NOT professional ...

Address URL on the page of site Orbitech : http://www.orbitech.org/files/shield.exe . This ( THIS ) shield.exe - it is Hazard Shield Instal Program - it is OK , I verified , CLEAN .

I look to my file : C / Program Files / Hazard Shield , inside :

HazardShield.exe ( Hazard Shield Orbitech , Assembly Version 1.9.0.0 , Copyright Orbitech 2008 ) ;
    icon.ico ( Icon ) ;
    Icons.dll ( Hazard Shield icon library ) ;
    Ignore.dat ( file DAT ) ;
    instsrv.exe ( application ) ;
    regjump.exe ( Jumps in Regedit Sysinternals , www.sysinternals.com , Copyright 2004 Mark Russinovich ) ;
    Process.exe ( Kill Process Microsoft Corporation , Copyright Microsoft Corporation ) ;
    uninstal.exe .

That's all. All : CLEAN ( Avira AntiVir ... )

User comments on the page : CNET/Download.com ( safe, trusted, and spyware-free ) :
    Hazard Shield 1.6.0.2 :
    " VERY GOOD MALWARE DETECTOR : Easy to install & operate. Fast scans. Doesn't hog all the resources when scanning so you can do other things ..."
    " FOUND MORE GREAT 2nd OPINION : Love extra tools that show alot more installed items. Did scan fast and found files not found by 3 other major spyware programs I run. NO problems with running with other AV and a-squared ..."

Thanks, PROROOTECT

PS : GO !:thumb:

11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Impressive. I looked @ the filename and identified the same... :p Seriously, the above info is plain useless. Also, can't see any malicious stuff catched by anything else, ~Virus Total link removed per Policy~ just adware.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

That's the point.
    Why bother with something flagged as adware, if you have good, reliable, and proven options?
    Not to mention that developers of those options are active members here.

If someone wants to use Shield, and doesn't have any problems with it, that's fine by me. I'll stick with what works for me.

EDIT:
    OK, I found some time and looked a bit more on Hazard Shield. I started a search here at Wilders and found this thread. Ok, it seems legit, so I regret my harsh comments (Shield being crap). But I still think that there are better options. SAS and MBAM, while VERY effective, are extremely light. Not to mention MBAM's SUPERFAST quickscan.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  13. nomarjr3

If you read the posts in that thread, most people are having doubts about this product.

If you ask me, I'd rather have Spycatcher Express than Hazard Shield.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i wanted to try Hazard Shield but it didnt work for me so after like 2 minutes it was gone from my laptop:D

15. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I've read them. It seems to me that they don't like it because of it's small database and poor performance, but not because of it being a rogue or a trojan or something.

That said, I don't plan using that app anywhere near in the future.

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Ahh Wilders, the place to try out software when you don't need to. ;) :cool:

I gave the Hazard Shield a spin, and if it is legitimate, and a one-man band, then it's got some potential as it's easy to use.

Update went through right away. A full scan, goes through the running processes, all files and all registry items. About 15 minutes for a full scan.

Has a 'file removal tool', a system explorer/task/process list, cookie manager (which works as it reveals all the unsandboxed browser's cookies), and a temp cleaner which lists all the files in your temporary folder appdata/local/temp folder.

Anything deleted can be restored under the backups (it found a few random browser helper objects from an unsandboxed IE). Seems ok for a small application.

Also has an alternate data stream scanner, a service manager to start/stop any services, and apparently has real-time basic protection if it is enabled.

Note - looking at the file contents, one file is called instsrv.exe and a search on the net reveals this link here. Like others recommend, until a program is proven, SAS and MBAM are the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  17. PROROOTECT

Hi, Saraceno , hi, everybody,

You has well advances knowledge on the work of Hazard Shield !
    Thank you !

But if I seek instsrv.exe on Google, it finds me easily, that instsrv.exe - it is a fitter of service - a program develops by Microsoft, which is in ResourceKit from Microsoft - which helps has to transform a service not Windows into a Windows service.
    It is a useful program only at the time of the installation and the desinstallation. CLEAN.

I use Hazard Shield : it is FAST , EASY , GREAT ! ...& CLEAN.

I am dependent neither professionally nor personally with ANY the softwares that I present to you. I am honest and I have GOOD intentions.CLEAN...

Thanks, PROROOTECT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.