Those Hidden User Accounts.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JustFixIt, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustFixIt

JustFixIt Registered Member

Can you delete the XP hidden user groups/accounts? ('Everyone', 'Power Users' etc. for good or is just disabling them good enough?

The reason I ask is in certain file properties for software there is 'Everyone' or 'Power User' or 'System' are these necessary and can they be deleted? Especially the 'System' account. Is it necessary?

Thanks

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Well ...

First of all, these are hardly "hidden", unless you consider in plain sight to be hidden.

It really would be in your best interest to read about these attributes and understand them before considering deletion.

Generally, there is only one user of most PCs, so disabling the Guest account is most often sufficient.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

The folders you mean? Then no. That will leave corrput/invalid registry entries.

4. JustFixIt

JustFixIt Registered Member

@ AKAJohn - I know technically they are not hidden, but they are not in full use also as a regular login user. I guess my main question is can these groups be exploited esp. System user and if changing settings in the policies is enough. If not, can they/should they be deleted.

@ Tech - Yes I also meant the folders - like in folder properties I know 'Everyone' is not a good idea but what about 'System' & 'Power User'?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.