This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Esinem, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esinem

Esinem Registered Member

I know this issue has come up before but the thread is too old and would allow me to ressurect it. I have also tried the advice on that thread.

Anyhow, I keep getting this message, not only with Spyblaster but also with Choicemail Free. The problem coincided with installing CA Anti-Spyware 2007 (I believe Pest Control and 2007 have issues causing this error msg) and also with getting a bunch of viruses.

CA Anti-spyware shows the following in the Choicemail directory, is it stuff connected to the Choicemail free version or should I kill it? ISTbar.XXXToolbar, Puper DB, System Doctor 2006, MySearch, Puper.

So far I have run Stinger (nothing came up), CWshredder (nothing came up) and a few other cleaning progs, CA Anti-virus, made the suggested regedit (renaming \windows to \windows2 etc) and I STILL get the error.o_O

I'm not 100% clear if the error message means the software needs re-installing or something is just stopping it from working. Re-installing doesn't seem to help much, although I did get Choicemail running for a bit till I re-started the PC.

Any help gratefully appreciated as my sanity is being severly tested. Cyber-beers for all helpers!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

as u know, this error is usually a result of some kind of malware so i would suggest u register at this forum,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517

follow the instructions carefully at the link then post a Hijackthis log there for analysis by the experts, and they will give u recommendations on removal of any possible infections.

snowbound

3. Esinem

Esinem Registered Member

Re: This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a vi

Many thanks, will check it out now

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.