This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Esinem, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esinem

Esinem Registered Member

I know this issue has come up before but the thread is too old and would allow me to ressurect it. I have also tried the advice on that thread.

Anyhow, I keep getting this message, not only with Spyblaster but also with Choicemail Free. The problem coincided with installing CA Anti-Spyware 2007 (I believe Pest Control and 2007 have issues causing this error msg) and also with getting a bunch of viruses.

CA Anti-spyware shows the following in the Choicemail directory, is it stuff connected to the Choicemail free version or should I kill it? ISTbar.XXXToolbar, Puper DB, System Doctor 2006, MySearch, Puper.

So far I have run Stinger (nothing came up), CWshredder (nothing came up) and a few other cleaning progs, CA Anti-virus, made the suggested regedit (renaming \windows to \windows2 etc) and I STILL get the error.o_O

I'm not 100% clear if the error message means the software needs re-installing or something is just stopping it from working. Re-installing doesn't seem to help much, although I did get Choicemail running for a bit till I re-started the PC.

Any help gratefully appreciated as my sanity is being severly tested. Cyber-beers for all helpers!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

as u know, this error is usually a result of some kind of malware so i would suggest u register at this forum,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517

follow the instructions carefully at the link then post a Hijackthis log there for analysis by the experts, and they will give u recommendations on removal of any possible infections.

snowbound

3. Esinem

Esinem Registered Member

Re: This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a vi

Many thanks, will check it out now

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.