This is what the new Chromium-based Edge looks like

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Mar 5, 2019.

1. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, telemetry is gonna determine whether some of these new features like tab snoozing are a pass or fail. Personally, I could care less. Currently, after this latest update, Edge is still very jittery in Task Manager--CPU is jumping and spiking up to 9% and never settling to 0 while I'm observing.

Can't complain about the speed though. Nearly instant to open and load webpages. :cool:

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. guest

guest Guest

Want to know what is coming up for Microsoft Edge? A roadmap has you covered
    January 30, 2021
    https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/30/w...for-microsoft-edge-a-roadmap-has-you-covered/

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I'm glad they killed it, it's not a bad browser, but once again it refuses to close correctly, it stays in memory. I'm still not sure if I will install Edge Chromium, I suppose you can still uninstall it right?

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. Rasheed187

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

You're welcome! Take care.

10. plat

plat Registered Member

The legacy Edge is already gone in Insider build 19042.782, which is barely one step ahead of the Release build. So, I can't uninstall chromium Edge from Control Panel or Settings, but it does offer the option to "change" or "modify" in Programs and Features and Apps and Features respectively.

I tried these options by clicking on them; all it seemed to do was to make my desktop shortcuts refresh. If anyone knows what this option is supposed to do, I'd like to hear about it. :)

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

just taking a wild guess here but, to repair a corrupt and/or modified edge profile maybe? i don't have a dt sc and when i hit modify it recreates a sc on the dt.

12. plat

plat Registered Member

Oh, OK, thanks for that observation. There used to be a "reset Edge" option somewhere but all I can locate right now is to reset all settings back to defaults.

Hopefully, this repair won't ever be needed--not sure I completely trust it to do the job. Would rather have the option to reinstall it, maybe, but that's not going to be happening on here. :cautious:

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hitting modify did not reset any modifed settings back to default in my profile, mind. all it did was recreate a sc on the dt.

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

legacy edge had an advanced settings option under apps & feats and that's where it was. (the new) edge don't have it.

15. imdb

imdb Registered Member

see here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...dify-for/244ac9cc-5327-4608-8fc3-3a0df63a5889

16. plat

plat Registered Member

Perfect! I wondered about that setting, right? OK, no need to use anything else except that "reset Edge" setting. Very cool revelation, thanks! :cool: Hopefully that Change/Modify tag will be removed in the upcoming new Windows build.

17. imdb

imdb Registered Member

you got it.

18. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

gotta love how telemetry works.

1 - add feature thats hard to discover and not well documented.
    2 - after seeing not many use it must mean no one likes.
    3 - remove feature.

or

1 - add feature on by default.
    2 - must mean everyone likes it.

:)

Edge has done some good things for chrome, it added the feature that stops caching streams to disk, no idea why that is in browsers in the first place but given how big content is now days, writing out all media to disk is crazy, google copied it for chome but bizarrely left off by default.

I use edge as my multimedia browser as it has playready and is very performant. However it is only for that, as productivity wise its UI is poor.

19. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft Edge (Stable) Version 88.0.705.62
    Release date: February 4, 2021

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Stable Channel: is not yet available.

-----------
    Download and deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

20. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft Edge (Stable) Version 88.0.705.63
    Release date: February 5, 2021

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Stable Channel:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/de...te-stable-channel#version-88070563-february-5

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Security Updates:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-relnotes-security#february-5-2021
    Security Update Guide
    https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide
    -----------
    Download and deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

21. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I still find Chrome Edge (with AdGuard and Violentmonkey add-ons) to be as fast and resource-light as Slimjet, usually using only 250-300 MB of RAM even with 4 or 5 tabs open. However, Chrome Edge (along with the various ungoogled Chromium builds I have tried) doesn't work for me with any of the Chromium-only speech-to-text websites, while Slimjet Portable does.

22. anon

anon Registered Member

23. Rasheed187

I decided to install Edge Chromium on Win 10, but the weirdest thing happened. So I copied one of the first Edge Chromium versions namely v75 to my external drive, then I copied it to my laptop SSD, but without me clicking on the installer, it apparently auto-installed and even disabled the old Edge. Has anyone ever seen something this weird? BTW, on this old Edge 75, uBlock Origin doesn't work correctly so I installed Adblock Plus instead.

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@Rasheed187
    Why are you staying on an old version of Edge Chromium?
    Click on 3 dots top right of screen (unsandboxied)
    Select Help and Feedback and then About Microsoft Edge.
    It will then update live on the page.

25. Rasheed187

To clarify, the plan was to install the newest Edge 88 version. But I would use Edge 75 only because it's the last version that can be installed via Sandboxie. But I really don't know how on earth Edge 75 managed to auto-install, seems like Win 10 is designed to watch for Edge installers, I'm not too happy about this. However, I noticed that it didn't uninstall the old Edge, so now I can use both until I upgrade to Edge 88 of course.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.