This is what the new Chromium-based Edge looks like

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Mar 5, 2019.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

A few days ago, I found I cant use Firefox anymore to watch Sports (Baseball) in the computer (a few weeks ago, it was Slack that didnt work in Firefox), so, I am in a way being forced into using Edge to do it (Mozilla's fault). Right now is really the first time than I am finding myself using Edge for more than just a few minutes in a browsing session.

As a result of Firefox's diminishing usefulness, this past few days I have been browsing and downloading with Edge, to check how it feels and works, and found something that's not a problem but I would like to know the "Why it happens".

The question: I dont use an antivirus, and disable Smart screen. As far as I know, that's all that's needed to disable scans for viruses when you download something with Edge. Thats what I thought but I found that despite that, some downloads generate an scan. Like for example, The Eicar test. See picture below, left corner. Can someone explain why the scan takes place despite not using an AV, and disabling Smart screen?

Sin título.jpg

Thanks

Bo

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@bo elam
    How are you disabling Smart Screen? From within the browser? (unsandboxed of course!!)
    Or Start..Settings.. Update and Security..Windows Security..App and browser control..Reputation Based Protection?

4. bo elam

I disable Smart screen, here (within the browser):

2.jpg

And here (App and browser control):

1.jpg

I am not sure if either of those two settings also disable what you call" Reputation Based Protection". If not, then, please tell me where is the exact location of that setting.

Thanks

Bo

5. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft introduces with the Windows 10 May 2020 a new reputation-based protection feature in the Windows Security app.
    https://windowsreport.com/reputation-based-protection-windows-10/

6. bo elam

Thanks, I was searching just now and found the link you posted. I dont see this Reputation setting anywhere. If I use search, it brings me to it (supposedly), but everything is identical to the picture I posted.

I think I am not getting that setting because I disable/Turn off Windows defender, and haven't updated it for about a year. So, probably I need to update WD. I might do it tomorrow during the day.

I used to turn On WD once in a while, to update it, and then turn it off again. But about a year ago, WD was creating problems for people who use W10, so to avoid this problems I stopped doing the updates.

Bo

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have Smart Screen turned on BO.
    I don't have the PUA setting that anon points to turned on.

8. bo elam

Perhaps after updating WD, I ll get the new setting and after turning it off, I wont get scans anymore.

This is not a problem or a big deal, but was wondering why the scans are taking place. I ll come over during the day (my time) and tell you guys what I find after updating WD.

Bo

9. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I update manually (Settings>About) after these notifications ... for some reason it always takes two attempts (on both my laptops, first attempt fails).

10. anon

anon Registered Member

No problems here with auto or manual update (2 desktop & 1 laptop).

11. bo elam

Hi Stapp, I updated WD, just in case it was needed to disable al that's needed to be disabled, and after doing so, I still get the Scanning for viruses message (as it can be seen in the picture in post 427).

So, I have Smart screen in Edge disabled (within the browser), and in W10 Settings. The Reputation is Off by default, and found it in Off after updating WD.

Are you seeing the Scanning for viruses thingy when you download something? Example, with The Eicar test, I saw the scanning message only when I downloaded the file (circled in picture below). Do you see same thing? If not, is there anything else that you are disabling?

Sin título.jpg

Bo

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Bo I don't disable Smart Screen as I just view it as an additional piece of protection.
    I don't have the Reputation PUA turned on
    When new Edge is Sandboxied, and I download that file, I see the scanning.

13. bo elam

Ok, thanks. What I am trying to find out is how to set it up so I don't get any scanning when I download something using Edge. If someone knows, perhaps can tell me here what it is that has to be done.

Bo

14. guest

guest Guest

Having address bar search issues with Google set as your default search engine in the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge?
    Here's a quick fix.
    July 30, 2020

https://www.windowscentral.com/edge-chromium-google-search

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Um, you see scanning by new Edge SmartScreen?
    Do you run Microsoft Defender Antivirus?
    I've not been able to get new Edge SmartScreen to work in my Edge sandbox.
    I do not run Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
    png_7147.png

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  16. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft Edge (Stable) Version 84.0.522.49
    Release date: July 29, 2020

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Stable Channel:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-stable-channel

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Security Updates:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnotes-security

ADV200002 | Chromium Security Updates for Microsoft Edge (Chromium-Based)
    Security Advisory
    https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/ADV200002
    -----------
    Download and deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

The machine I was talking about above was with Defender set as av on Win 10 2004. I keep this machine like this so I can test Edge and Defender and Sandboxie 5.33.6. Smart Screen turned on.

On the machine I am writing this on now (also Win 10 2004), I use EAM as my AV. Even though I have Smart Screen turned on it doesn't show scanning as it blocks it straight away :D

18. anon

anon Registered Member

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Seems like it's game over for Edge on my system. For some reason uBlock stopped working, and Edge won't let me install extensions at all, probably because I'm using an old version. I was running this version of Edge "sandboxed" with the help of Sandboxie, and those M$ morons don't release full .exe installers any longer, so I can't install the newest version sandboxed. I'm not sure I want to install Edge on my real system, what a bummer.

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

here it is:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks, but it's a .msi file. At the moment, Sandboxie doesn't support .msi file installation and it also doesn't support web-installers. I used Edge as my testing browser. I don't know why those M$ ****** refuse to release a full .exe installer like they did with the first Edge Chromium versions.

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

EAM blocks it straight away or new Edge SmartScreen blocks it straight away.
    With 1909 + 5.33.6. I see new Edge SmartScreen work outside my new Edge sandbox. Phishing site blocked by new Edge SmartScreen outside sandbox is not blocked by new Edge SmartScreen inside sandbox.
    I removed my Norton 360 and Norton Safe Web extension, as test.
    Even with MIcrosoft Defender AV running.
    Phishing site blocked by new Edge SmartScreen outside my new Edge sandbox is not blocked by new Edge SmartScreen inside my new Edge sandbox.
    Been head scratch, for me.
    I don't know what - if - direct access is needed with my new Edge sandbox.
    -
    With my Norton 360 and Norton Safe Web extension turned off, just now.
    Eicar outside my new Edge sandbox.
    png_7165.png
    Eicar inside my new Edge sandbox.
    png_7164.png
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

No issues here with Edge and uBO.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I've been playing with Edge and Adguard Version 3.4.31. It's winning me over. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.