Thinking about True Image 10 but the more I read!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobmitch, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

The more I read this forum, the more I am shying away. First off...I have used Norton Ghost 9 for the past two and a half years with NO problems. Never a corrupted image...nothing of the sort. Have restored flawlessly quite a few times. However, with Vista coming out...and my continued disenchantment with Symantec...I want to move to another software that I can rely on. I backup to external Seagate 200 GB Hard drive in an Acomdata enclosure via Firewire.

I downloaded the trial version of 10 and installed. Nice! Created the recovery CD and booted to it...Nice! Then I start reading how TI is "file size limited" where corruption can occur if the backup image is too big. That doesn't make my day. My external drive is formatted NTFS, so my image files are ONE...not many. I backed up and verified...all passed. I then booted into the CD and selectively restored a dozen or so files that might be difficult...and it worked fine.

So I guess my quandry is...why are so many people experiencing corruption? Seems to me that TI is very "sensitive" and fails ad the drop of a hat. I need to be able to rely on my backup software. Not sure TI is going to afford me that! Thoughts?

BTW...

P4-3.2 GHZ on Asus P4C800E-Deluxe
    1 GB PC800 SDRAM
    Two WD 74 GB 10,000 Raptors in Raid 0 on Intel 82801ER Raid Controller
    ATI AIW X800XT

I have read many great things about TI. Seen a lot of success stories...and many failure stories. I am preparing to migrate to Win Vista in the near future as many of you are...and TI looks like a good investment....but so many questions about reliability...

Thanks

Bob

2. hobbit666

hobbit666 Registered Member

Can't say about TI 10 but i have created images of both our servers with TI 9.1 and restored them. Both images are around the 20GB each size.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The forums are basically, folks that are looking for help and those that help them. So when you come here, you're essentially looking at athe complaint department. Don't expect to mind muchmore than problems (along with help for the problems) here. But don't mistake that fact about the forums as being a general assesment of ATI.

sh

4. AlaninKY

AlaninKY Registered Member

My view is many people that have problems don't know what they are doing.
    Still others have corrupted the computer they are using due to virus and or spyware issues. Still other people get on the cutting edge of technology and run into new issues that have to be corrected with a new updated version of True Image. Also, others burn to DVD disk and have maybe 5 to 10 or so disks burned to backup their systems and poof one of the DVD disks have gone bad, so they are hosed with a serious problem.

I come here to learn what issues people have so I can try to avoid having the same problems.;)

5. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

Interesting point! In the past...I always used Powerquest Drive Image...right up to v7. I could always rely on that piece of software to give me good results. Then...someone gave me Norton Ghost 9 as a gift. Funny...it is DI with a different face on it...but still the reliablilty is there. Never a corrupt image of any kind. Ghost 10 is garbage! Norton always takes something good, that they purchase, and manages to totally kill it. So that is where my interest in TI 10 is coming from. I am watching the board with interest...because I like the fact that Acronis has made v10 Vista ready...

Bob

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

(1) My believe is that the majority of people who buy ATI, don't ever visit this site. The product works and they have no reason to post. Some users have problems which they have basically caused themselves. I was such a user last week when I installed a program and was too lazy to read the instructions. when I finally read the instructions and followed them guess what ? yes the program worked. Finally there are those with a software conflict, a hardware conflict or other genuine problem.

So why are so many experiencing corruption ? my answer is that they are not - it is just that the vast majority don't come here to say that for them the product is working.

Finally at less than $50 ATI has got to be worth a small gamble. There may be others just as good or even better - I wouldn't know - ATI works for me every day without fail.

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One software plug removed from this thread. Let's avoid that in the Acronis support forum please.

8. RTShaw

RTShaw Registered Member

ATI = gfx video card mfg

TI = Acronis True Image..

Many people have legitimate gripes. i hold back too thats because we expected more from Acronis between v8 - v10 looks like they maybe getting there groove back (thats what us old longtime acronis buyers are looking 4) Acronis builds some great software not just TI (trueimage) but they should get back on the stick and looks like they are ,hope,hope).

9. Long View

The title of this thread could have been "Thinking about TI10) but the more I read about how bad it is......"

Some people have legitimate gripes as I pointed out. The percentage is unknown. Those like myself who have had very few problems (only since version 6 so not really a long time user) probably tend to think that some others are complaining unnecessarily. Some of those with gripes, legitimate or otherwise, complain and make TI sound like its the worst product ever created.

I just think it would be a pity if even one potential user were put off trying TI.

10. RTShaw

RTShaw Registered Member

lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.

Some of us run rather exotic os's with various raids, etc terrabytes drive space and partitions from 60 - 500+ gigs. with backup drives, etc.
    like 4 - 500 gigg drives in raid1
    2 - 250 giggers Raid0
    2 - raptors raid0
    Esata drives - Dual 500 giggers raid0
    4 dvd burners
    etc..
    -- thats only one machine - i alone have 5 running at any given time (don't know about my techs)

Especially 4 video or audio work. many of us are professional engineers or Maintain huge Data backups 4 ourselves and customers..
    We see (and posted) suggestions, recommendations and the such. Yes Acronis Ti & the other products by Acronis are good, i said as much. They could have been The best ever (TI). Being a businessman & Engineer/Hdware & Soft. owning and running servicecenters i saw a huge drop in ordering (from me and others) for Acronis TI during Acronises slack time last year. if the msg base hasnt been purged u could follow many of em yourself. Acronis knows that as many of us do. When u see a dynamire piece of software that could Blow everything else out of the water - then it slacks up we moan cause a nice piece of software (that could be great) we watch dissapate or allow other companies to catch up. A great piece of software is like a piece of Art its not easy to write either (then the debugging begins).

11. RTShaw

RTShaw Registered Member

its is, but what about overclockers? even intel is allowing it now.. u can not backup using TI current version) without the backup being corrupt. so why would an overclocker (and theres very many including myself) purchase a program that they have to clock back to back up? Supposedbly this will be fixed in an up coming version so why wouldnt overclockers wait until then (some are waiting - i started to but what the hell, i luckily had the buxs) but on my other machines i use ti 8 last bld (paid 4 of course).

Reason 2 oclock
    one quick example if not allowed erase..

E6600 duo approx $324.00 2.4 ghz
    E6800 duo approx $999.00 2.9ghz

overclocking the E6600 to 3.6 ghz ..u save approx $500.00 of the cost of the E6800

12. Long View

Thanks Interesting - I hadn't realized that there was an issue re-overclocking.

Personally I don't overclock and never have done. My hang ups are related to seeing how cool and quite I can make my systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.