Things you hate about Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cozumel, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

For myself, hardware acceleration in FF has been a huge boon - especially for my AMD fusion netbook (has a decent GPU) - made FF about as fast as Opera before Opera got HW acceleration. Through this and newer graphics drivers, my PCs have become much faster now than they were new :)

I waited awhile before updating to FF4 and let everyone else deal with the initial problems. Despite that, I do remember having some kind of font problem related to the hardware acceleration, but it was quickly fixed. Otherwise no issues on many machines (including 6 year old laptops).

Saying that, for people who do have issues with hardware acceleration - it can be a big obstacle and a huge pain.

Edit: Agreed on HTML5 though - Adobe Flash is significantly faster on the netbook. I can't play HTML5 with 720p fullscreen without it being jerky and unwatchable.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Strange. HTML5 is significantly faster for me on my Chromebook.

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Not so strange: HTML5 is fastest on Chrome.

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I agree there have been tremendous strides since Windows 98 and for that I'm grateful.

But I also agree with noone that they simply ignore known bugs and move on the next flavor of the week. I wouldn't mind upgrading more often if it meant the old bugs were actually fixed.

I wish there was more flexibility over Superfetch that would allow a person to fine tune what they wanted preloaded. There's a registry hack that allows three options, but basically it's still an all or nothing proposition. I'd prefer it if the options for this were in the Control Panel or something. I know how to do it now but I had to spend a whole morning figuring it out.

A more thorough Help & Support would be good too. I hate, hate, hate that they take you right up to the point of getting to what you really need to know then stop. :)

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I agree. Complaining about bugs in XP is nearly as bad as complaining about bugs some 10 year old distro. The fact that it's supported at all is a miracle.

As for Superfetch, it would be nice to have certain things prioritized but it does a decent job.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The price, resource usage, bloat, bugs, and vulnerability.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That you can't do a repair install by booting from your Windows DVD in Vista and Windows 7. This is a major problem when faced with a Windows which won't boot, particularly for people like me who try to never ever do a clean reinstall of Windows.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

9. roger_m

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You should be able to boot after using System Recovery Options. Of course, disk imaging is the best solution.

11. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Good point, OTOH using SFC from boot disc is useful when fixing a variety of problems which one couldn't do in XP.

12. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

At this precise moment in time, I can honestly say I really do hate Windows :mad:

How can they actually make something that doesn't work?

13. roger_m

Why do you say that Windows doesn't work? Sure, it does have some problems, but even so I still really like it, whereas for a comparison I really hate the OS on Macs, and would never own one.

14. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I have like three licenses for True Image but thought I'd give Win 7 Backup/restore a spin 3 days ago. Now I want to restore an image and have found a known bug (previously unknown to me) and it's costing me valuable time. Have to convert to Acronis format to access the image. Glad I backed up my important files separately.

It can't detect my USB external drive from Win7 rescue disk!!! lol Makes the rescue disk kind of useless too haha

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have used the Win 7 rescue disk successfully with an external USB drive many times. Must just be something with your particular drive?

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Security
    Bloat
    Drivers
    Updates

I guess that's it in a nutshell.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

dw426,
    I wanted to reply to a few of these.
    What other software is doing doesn't matter. Getting rid or refusing to use an app when you don't agree with its behavior is one thing. It's a completely different matter when it's the OS. Just because other vendors are doing it doesn't make it right or any more acceptable.
    Has anyone managed to close all of the open ports on Win 7 without causing operational problems? I don't mean block access to them with a firewall, but actually close them.
    "Business as usual" isn't a justification for removing user choices and coercing hardware/software vendors. The only reason they haven't been broken up under anti-trust laws is that they have the government in their pocket. They force hardware vendors and PC distributors to remove the drivers for the older operating systems in order to increase sales of the new ones. The incompatibilities between the older operating systems and a lot of newer hardware and software is purely artificial. The installers contain lines of instructions that prevent them from working on an unsupported system, even when the app or hardware is completely compatible. This has been going on for a long time, since at least 98FE. Microsoft is the reason drivers are such a problem for Linux.
    When an application does this, it's spyware, but it's OK and acceptable from Microsoft? It might not be changing any time soon, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable or right.

AFAIC, unless these things change, I will not buy a newer version of Windows than XP, and I may even get rid of it too as a physical system and keep a virtual copy of it around for testing.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

things i hate about windows?

Aero and Windows Explorer.

thankfully, both can replaced. ;)

21. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i hate windows becauzzzz

you keep duck taping those windows and putting Looks on them to find that
    you don't have a wall :)

anyway the really really painful thing is to use multi security software + hardening then you still not really secured

other than that every thing is awesssssome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.