thelivetech.com Fake Antivirus Software?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nickp, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickp

nickp Registered Member

I was doing some research the other day and came across thelivetech.com This website claims that they offer a service which costs $120 and with this service you get a representatives help in which they log into your machine and clean your computer for you. The program installation procedure goes on to say that to begin you must turn off your computer and start up in safe mode. Once the computer has started up open a run window and download a total of three installation files from the livetech.com. The three files are registry modifying files. They are convincing people to infect their own computers.

I know this practice is not new but has any one heard of anything on this paticular website?

2. Re: thelivetech.com

Well not knowing who runs this site, I for one would not allow just anyone to be able to get into my machine. best to find a local tech in your area where you can verify their certifications upon you requesting that information from them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  3. nickp

nickp Registered Member

Re: thelivetech.com

Sorry I should of clarified. This is not something I am looking to have done I just wanted to see if this is malicious website is one that anyone has heard of before.

The worst part about this website is it had multiple (five that I found) websites with names like cleanpcguide.com uninstallvirus.com howto.killallvirus.com and easyfixvirus.com that were completely dedicated to selling people on thelivetech.com service. All of the websites I listed were extremely detailed but very similar they used some really clever ways to convince people this would be a quick fix to all there problems. All of the websites gave the same instructions to startup in safe mode, open the run window and download the registry file from thelivetech.com/download

Update: This is strange all associated websites look to be taken down. When you try to navigate to them I keep seeing a 403 forbidden. I wonder who would take that down? Whoever did it took down all of the websites except the most important one. They took all the sites which pointed people to thelivetech.com/download but not the culprit itself.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ nickp

Thanks the alert :thumb: Even though not many on here would fall for it, at least non members can benefit from your post, & we can inform friends etc who can also pass it on :thumb:

Here's what i discovered.

Definately DODGY :thumbd:

Whois

-http://www.thelivetech.com/fixexe Redirects to - -http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/FixNCR.reg gets you the Att. Reg file which i've renamed to FixNCR.txt View attachment FixNCR.txt So they use BC's Reg file as part/all of "Their" fix for $120.00 :thumbd:

Not sure what it's supposed to do, but i guess at least someone here should be able to tell us ?

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A reply linking to and listing all related sites has been removed. Let's be cautious with these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.