The User Profile Service failed the logon

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by login123, Oct 21, 2019.

1. login123

login123 Registered Member

A few days ago I started getting that message. Was doing nothing unusual, AFAIK.

This computer runs Win 7 64 bit, UEFI & GPT hdd, avast free, Shadow Defender, Macrium paid with the boot option enabled.
    The computer will boot into safe mode.
    System restore doesn't work, shows that there are no restore points. But there were some before this started.

There are many mentions of this issue on the net, including some on this forum. I found instructions for going in to safe mode & using regedit to rename the user profiles by changing the .bak extensions. That seems easiest if it actually works. Has anybody done it? Is there an easier way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. login123

Yes, that seems the most complete tutorial.
    I have two S-1-5 (SID) keys so had planned to try option 1, just renaming them without creating a new account.
    If I understand it, that doesn't vreate a new account, it just re-prioritizes the two that are there.

Unless there is some reason not to do it that way. ??

4. login123

Well, I renamed the .bak files, then, with great fear & trepidation, restarted the computer.
    It worked!! Started normally.
    Thank you.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Good to hear you are sorted now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.