The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

What error message are you seeing? Task Scheduler can break in several different ways.

2. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Has anyone who is experiencing a task scheduler problem reported the symptoms to Tony? :doubt:

3. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I sent a PM to Aladdin asking for details so we can sent a report to Tony.

4. Scoobs72

Yes, I did, a couple of months ago. Tony said he would 'look into it'.

5. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Well, whenever I opened the Task Scheduler I got an error message about SvcRestartTask,also in the Event Viewer I got error message about this every few minutes so I basically replaced this file with the original one from my Windows disk and the error Messages are gone now. However in the Task Scheduler I never see anything in the overview. The summary in the Status window just says 0 for everything. I have 44 active Tasks however and they seem to be just fine. I just can't look back which Tasks have been done succesfully because the summary window doesn't Show anything. Maybe it doesn't tell you about any Windows related Tasks. I don't know.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't have this problem with Windows 8 (re Task Scheduler) although with Vista, SD used to break Windows Updates for a couple of years. I found a fix for it but I couldn't find out why it was happening. Then all of a sudden it stopped happening. Nowadays OSs are interacting with a lot of applications and behaviour becomes unpredictable due to conflicts.

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I had the Task Scheduler problem several weeks ago. I didn´t get any "symptom". When I read about the problem here, I looked at the Task Scheduler and found it totally corrupted. The "Task status" and "Active tasks" (names translated) panels didn´t show any information, only error messages.

I solved the problem by restoring an image of the system partition and uninstalled SD. I have been checking Task Scheduler regularly since then, with SD uninstalled (I reinstalled Returnil), and I haven´t found further problems.

I use Windows 7 x64.

Edit: I corrected names.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Are you referring to Task Scheduler or Task manager? What do you mean by WD?

9. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for everybody for their concerns and trying to help me resolve the issues I have with Task Scheduler.

Here is the message I am getting:

Attached Files:

10. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I posted this previously but withdrew it as others would probably have firsthand knowledge
    but maybe it's worth a try if all else has failed
    Good luck :)

11. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

maybe try running this in a dos box with admin rights:

-sfc /scannow
    -DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    -DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

12. Scoobs72

The way I fixed mine was to open an admin command prompt and enter:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

then reboot. This assumes that your windows installation is on C:

13. aladdin

Hi Scoobs72,

I first tried the above command in evaluated command prompt and rebooted, but still no joy.

Best regards,

Mohamed

14. aladdin

Hi Acranez,

Tried the above commands in evaluated command prompt. The first command worked with successes. The second and third above commands, both gave error: 87.

Still no joy!

Best regards,

Mohamed

15. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

We have to draw Tony's attention again to the scheduler problems. All affected users should e-mail Tony again, I will e-mail him too.

In the meantime, this is what I want Drop Rights to look like: Shadow Defender v2.0 with RogueGuardian™ technology.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  16. aladdin

Hi SDMod,

Tried the above last, as it required registering at the site. Did the registry thingy but still it didn't work.

I had the same problem on my four computers earlier. I wasn't aware of it for a very long time. Then I purchased family license (four) of Total Uninstall PRO. It didn't work on any of the computers and it kept on giving an error. This I discussed in the Total Uninstall thread by Berryracer. The license was for one year, and at the end of the license I contacted the developer of Total Uninstall PRO. Eventually, he figured out that my Task Scheduler was messed up. He asked me to delete some entries in the registry in regards to Task Scheduler. Total Uninstall PRO then worked, but the Task Scheduler was still messed up. The developer of Total Uninstall PRO was nice and gave me further one year updates for FREE.

At that time I blamed this on Rollback Rx. I had to reinstall Windows 7 on all my four computers, which is not an easy task as reinstalling Windows XP.

However, I didn't realize until recently the culprit of messing up the Task Scheduler is Shadow Defender and not Rollback Rx. I am really ticked off. To me SD as become one of the most crappiest program has Rollback Rx. Both SD and Rollback Rx are supposed to get one out from such kind of mess, not to put one in this kind of mess.

Tony of SD, should realize this and should do something soon about this, about this nasty bug instead of wasting his valuable time on new features. I am not sure if this guy who claims be to Tony is Tony. If he is Tony then his first priority should be taking care of this nasty bug which is known for a very long time.

Best regards,

Mohamed

17. aladdin

Dearest CyberMan969,

I still have to answer your kind PM. Right now I have to run, but I will answer you with more details. Thank you for always being so kind.

Best regards,

Mohamed

18. Scoobs72

That's exactly how my task scheduler got ruined. Total Uninstall Pro uses the Task Scheduler on reboot and if you are exiting Shadow Mode at the same time it can result in corruption.

19. aladdin

Thank you Scoobs for the above information. However on this Sony Laptop, there is no Total Uninstall PRO installed.

I don't know very much about computers, but I presume that lots of programs use Task Scheduler on reboot, thus Tony (SD) should do something about it soon.

Best regards,

20. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Three questions. If I am not getting any errors like the one pictured by Aladdin in post#2384, nor any error show up in Windows Event log, Does that mean that my Task scheduler is working properly?. Are this kind of errors the only tell tale signs that something is not working properly with Task scheduler?

My Task scheduler is working as described by Arcanez in post#2380, Is that the proper way how it should work in W7 SP1 32Bits?
    Bo

21. aladdin

Hi Bo,

I am not sure if it is only x64 thingy or not. Can you please under Shadow Mode, do a search for Schedule Task and then open Task Scheduler. See what you find there?

Best regards,

Mohamed

22. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Aha, maybe that's why my Task scheduler is not messed up (if its not messed up). I only use SD on demand for trying programs and have never opened Task scheduler while in Shadow mode. Perhaps, opening Task scheduler under Shadow mode messes things up. I like to try what you are asking but probably the wisest thing to do on my part is not to open the scheduler while in Shadow mode.

Bo

23. aladdin

Hi Bo,

I fully agree with you.

Best regards,

24. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

CM, I really like your artistic rendition (post #2390)! :thumb:

25. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I don't want to sound rogue or nothing. But, what's the point on having SD to do all this Drop Rights stuff if you can easily get rid of everything you don't want/need by simply rebooting. There's software already written that does all other kind of stuff, such as Sandboxie, DefenseWall, AppGuard, VoodooShield, etc...
    Shadow Defender is the best at what it does (reboot-restore), imho.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.