The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

New version released!

4. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Does it still mess with the Windows 8 taks Scheduler? I had to repair my Task Scheduler just yesterday:thumbd:

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I'm on Windows 7 so I can't verify, sorry.

6. CyberMan969

I deserved that :D :D :thumb:

It's just amazing that by using SD's RAM cache all the time I don't have to worry about TRIM being junked by RX!

7. Netva

Netva Registered Member

I work in a school and use the Shadow Defender 323 and 325 versions for years but I suffer a big problem: over the weeks windows time and date become outdated and I can not use the task scheduler to turn off the PC at the appointed time. Then, I have to turn off one by one, and there are plenty of computers. Has anyone had this problem? Any solutions?

Thank you very much, and sorry for my poor expression (not speak English too well)

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi,
    I've tried to register with the new Shadow Defender forum but I'm afraid I don't understand some parts of the "Verification" section: "Knock on the?:" Look through the?:" What am I supposed to do with those questions?

9. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Osaban, read a few posts above ;)

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've installed version .376 after testing version .370 on Windows 8 (64bit). Unfortunately it is always the same problem: my machine normally boots in exactly 12 seconds, when I reboot exiting shadow mode it takes forever, 2-3 minutes and sometimes it hangs there requiring a hard restart. I've tried with and without "write cache" always with the same results.
    My system:
    Laptop Intel Core i7-3635QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz 2.40 GHz 8GB RAM Windows 8 (64bit)

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Hi, Osaban. Have you sent a bug report to Tony?

12. The Shadow

My laptop has the same CPU and RAM as Osaban's, but with W7 x64 and I'm not experiencing that issue. So the problem looks like it's W8-related. :doubt:

TS

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    Is there another channel other than the forums? I was under the impression that this forum and the newly opened one were the venues to report bugs. This problem was happening even with my Vista machine which works perfectly with version .325.

All the versions with RAM write cache seem to have this problem. At the moment I'm testing Deep Freeze which delays my booting from 12 seconds to 20 seconds, very acceptable although I still haven't decided if I want to subscribe to their yearly plan (35 $ a year).

Has anyone tried version .325 with Windows 8?

14. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Software conflict? I have W8 x64 no problems

15. The Shadow

To report bugs, please send email to: bugs@shadowdefender.com

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Since moving to Windows 8 I haven't looked into using Shadow Defender but I see there is a compatible version out. So can someone give me a quick insight and repeat if already posted what happened to the developer and why did he disappear after the last official release version .326? Is he back? Thanks

dja2k

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've re-installed version .376 on Windows 8, and I'm pleased to say that the reason for the long reboots was probably due to Avira interacting negatively with SD. I've set Avira on demand only, and reboot time is now about 1 minute which is very reasonable. I'm sorry to have given the impression that there was a bug with SD.

18. CyberMan969

Yes, Tony is back. Nobody knows why he was gone for so long. Tony himself is reluctant to talk about the reasons for abandoning the project for almost three years. It could have been personal reasons, we simply don't know what happened to him in real life during that period. I suspect that he must have been ill, away or indisposed in some way, and that his family may have ran the site while he was away. Or maybe he was just depressed and wanted a long break from it all. Some people think he may even have been in jail! Of course it's all speculation, we'll never know unless he decides to tell us.

The fact of the matter is that the break is now over and that the new SD is all I could have hoped for. Certain aspects still need fixing (e.g. the loss of settings problem that some of us have been facing), but overall SD has evolved. And at last a RAM cache feature has been added, which is something I've been wanting to see in an LV app for ages now. The only LV program that featured a proper RAM buffer was Wondershare Time Freeze (WTF) but on my computers it has been buggy and I never got it to work properly. Also WTF is not as sturdy as SD when it comes to sophisticated rootkits and hasn't been updated for years.

When I e-mailed such ideas to Tony he was very positive. He has also managed to implement my suggestions (RAM buffer, encryption) within just two months and he is still working on some other ideas suggested by users. If he manages to implement Shadow's Drop Rights/Block Drivers suggestions then SD would become more like Sandboxie, proactively blocking malware installs and thus protecting from sophisticated malware taking hold in the first place.

Bottom line for me: With a large SD RAM buffer the virtual system runs straight from RAM. This makes the whole system more responsive, there are no recoverable traces of deleted files left behind, and my SSDs don't take any write hits when in Shadow Mode. I'm really happy about all that. :D

I remember talking with a friend recently about future systems where the whole OS would be able to run directly from RAM. Well, SD's current approach is the closest we can get to that with current tech.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  19. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

You are absolutely right in that it is personal, and therefore none of our business in pursuing it. People should just get over it and be glad that Tony is back. :)

Imho The Shadow's recommendation for a drop rights option (including driver execution prevention) is the most important enhancement Tony could bring to SD, as it's the only sure method to cope with present and future rootkit infections! :thumb:

20. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Cruise & Cyberman969

I am very sorry, but, I do not agree with both your assertions that in your view

"it is personal, and therefore none of our business in pursuing it. People should just get over it and be glad that Tony is back."

Tony was running a business in which he sought to make a profit, and on which many people depended upon him for support.

I am prepared to concede the worst circumstances in terms of what might have happened to him in his homeland. Although this is a fairly hefty jump in faith. All that said, Tony simply has to say to the community - " I am sorry for my absence I realise that some of you feel let down...."

None of this nonesense that he is Chinese, oppressed and cannot articulate himself. When it suits him he is quite articulate. Don't forget he is operating in the western world that pays his fees for his software.

I despair at the simpering do gooders who attempt to protect Tony. Tony is a seller operating in a world market. He has to conform to world market norms.

I will not buy Tonys software on principal, even though it is good. Others are now beginning to emerge, however. Let them progress.

My thoughts are with Patrick, let down badly by Tony, long suffering.

Just my 10 pence.

Terry

21. CyberMan969

I understand your point of view Terry. For a long while I was like you, feeling frustrated at Tony for letting his customers down. Then I realized that anger and frustration won't solve anything. By the time Tony came back, I was just glad for the fresh SD start.

I do get what you say, but I also think that you shouldn't so readily bash the ones who "forgave" Tonys prolongued absence. Calling us "simpering do gooders" is offensive and should be left out of this forum. Judging from your comment history, comments like these just do not befit you Terry.

We should both respect each others' opinions even when we disagree mate.

I agree 100% about Patrick. Despite receiving nothing from Tony he is still around serving SD, which says a lot about the integrity of the man and his love and dedication to the software.

22. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Netva,

SD has a nasty bug which screws up the Task Scheduler and renders it useless. However, neither the so called Tony acknowledges this bug so to fix it. Nor most of the users of SD want to hear about it. They just want to sweep it under the carpet as it doesn't exist.

To me SD is a useless program because it messes the Task Scheduler which is very nasty as most things in the computer rely on Task Scheduler.

Best regards,

23. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Cyberman969

You expressed you views thus.

"People should just get over it and be glad that Tony is back..."

There are people who would think that this comment is patronising. There are those who would not necessarily agree that that Tony should be back at any cost. Just to suit your needs for ongoing development of the product - at any cost. Principles perhaps?

As you suggest I do respect your opinion. It is just that I don't like being told to "get over it" as though I am a recalcitrant child.

Terry

24. CyberMan969

Terry, I don't recall saying to anyone to get over anything. I have never prompted people to be glad that Tony is back either. My initial comments were actually adressed to dja2k. All I did was to provide a general overview of the situation for dja2k.

On that message ( #2368 ) I have also expressed the specific reasons why I am happy with the usage I get out of SD. I don't see how or why that message would offend you in any shape or form. Please read it again and you'll see that I am right about this. I think that you have confused Cruise's subsequent post with my own.

I do object to being called a "simpering do gooder" though. I don't think that my initial reply to dja2k called for such a remark.

25. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Arcanez,

Shadow Defender messed up my Task Scheduler too on a brand new Windows 7 x64 laptop. My Task Scheduler is still not fixed yet.

How did you repair your Task Scheduler? Can you please post the details for fixing?

Best regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.