The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I'm not sure, it's been ages since I tried Returnil products. Apparently their site has been suspended briefly because of a problem with their hosting service.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Returnil System Safe 2012, currently undergoing beta testing, has these features.

3. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

I want to put this in my exclusion list, can this be considered "safe" enough to go ahead?

Code:
    C:\Users\t3ster\Desktop
    C:\Users\t3ster\Documents
    C:\Users\t3ster\Saved Games
    C:\Program Files\Sandboxie
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Security Client
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I would not exclude your desktop or SBIE? Why do you want to exclude your desktop. SBIE works just fine with Shadow Defender. I have my sandox on another drive, and they work just fine together.

5. tonycn

tonycn Registered Member

Hi everybody,

I am the developer of Shadow Defender.
    Thanks for all your interests with Shadow Defender and always supports.
    A new version compatible with SSD is under development. and will be released in a month if all goes well.
    If you have any suggestions or feedbacks, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Tony

6. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Welcome back Tony, it's great to see you here on the forum again. :)

best wishes

Patrick

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

o_O
    Hi Tony...
    you know that your incoming after that long time and after not knowing anything about your history from your disappearance is just a little bit strange and make me...and maybe some of us...a big doubt. Anyway - welcome back.

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Hi Tony, thank you for your correspondence and asking Avangate to process my refund. I appreciate you keeping me in the loop. Good luck with your software.

Darryl C.

9. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

@ichito
    I agree
    @tonucn
    Can the explanation Mr.tonycn YesShiled vs shadowdefender!? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2149689&postcount=1522

but Anyway - welcome back.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  10. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Both Patrick (SDMod) and myself have been in frequent communication with Tony during the last few weeks, prompting him to come in here and address the SD faithfuls. In the past I have also had my doubts about the legitimacy of SD development. The lack of support for the last two years had made me (and many others) think that SD may have been hijacked.

I know now that this is not true. I recently suggested to Tony the inclusion of a RAM buffer and for the buffer to be switching automatically to disk when the user-defined RAM allowance is full. This was in the beginning of October and Tony has managed to code these options in less than two months! Only the program's original author would have enough affinity with the code in order to program such changes so quickly. To me this is an obvious indication that Tony is back (for good I hope this time).

The reasons for his lengthy absence? The issue of the YesShield program? Has Tony sold part of the code to someone else and the result is YesShild? Obviously YesShield is not exactly the same as SD, taleblou has tested it against an older TDSS rootkit and it failed. Maybe Tony has sold part of the code, keeping some integral part out of the deal. These are speculative questions that Tony will hopefully be able to answer in the future. I for one am delighted that the lines of communication with SD have been re-opened, and look forward towards the forthcoming TRIM-compatible version!

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Tony, welcome back! I'm sure everybody is happy to see you posting on this forum. Please let me tell you about your new version... V. 346. I've had it for a couple of weeks on my Vista Ultimate 32 bit, and everything was fine except that every 3-4 reboots, exiting shadow mode, my computer would take forever to shut down, actually I would have to hit the main start button to effectively reboot my computer.

I'm back to version .325 for the time being, hopefully you might be able to do something about this problem.

sdmod you are right:
    Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 @2.16 GHz 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM - Assigned buffer RAM: 1GB. My hard drive is a standard Hitachi ATA device. I have also excluded as much as possible SD with my antivirus (Avira 2013), and I have no other security except for Sandboxie.

As I mentioned it happens every 2-3 reboots, and I suspect when the RAM buffer is totally used...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  12. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Osaban
    Just thought it might be a good idea to say how much ram buffer you were using and how much ram you have, drive details etc, all our systems are unique to us. I don't mean to get in the way of your question, just a thought :)
    Patrick (sdmod)

13. javahole

javahole Registered Member

Hello, i remember seing one IT guy (A moderator on cleaning software forum) saying that wiping (shredding) files on your hard drive should be limited as it ages your HD.

How exactly does Shadow Defender ''wipe files'' when you reboot ?

14. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info!
    I save a lot to my desktop for later reference. So everytime I reboot my desktop files are there in the state I left it in.
    Maybe I should move the desktop folder to a separate partition/drive.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hello Tony,
    I am glad to see that you have returned well. Thank you for this great software, Shadow Defender. We are looking forward to its future. :)

16. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Welcome back. :D :thumb:

17. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Yeah the desktop might not be a safe place to exclude, because a lot of malware can attack generic directories, i.e. temp directories, user app directies and the like. It'd be best to store thank kind of stuff on a separate partition.

18. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Tony, it's great to have you back here among the most loyal Shadow Defender users in the world. While many of us anxiously await the SSD-compatible version we really appreciate the improvements in the latest version!

We are all thrilled with your continuing development and support. :D

19. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Welcome back, Tony! Great news about the SSD and finally, your re-appearance will bring peace of mind to many loyal Shadow Defender users.

20. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I'm glad your back...your product is awesome and I can't wait for new updates, thanks

21. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Great to see you back at Wilders Tony, with you signing in at Wilders now it can be safely said that the conspiracy theories have been put to rest :thumb:

22. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Update on my refund:

I received an email from Tony the same day he posted on this thread, and I'm happy to say that today I received a 100% refund. Thank you Tony, and good luck to you. :thumb:

23. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Shadow Defender Exclusions

Can someone tell me if i'm doing this right?
    I'd like to exclude my security software from SD so it doesn't wipe away my definitions, updates etc.

The extension is adblock just so you know

http://i.imgur.com/X1Ix2.png

24. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

Re: Shadow Defender Exclusions

No,
    and you have to do this:

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
    Click the View tab.
    Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

"C:\ProgramData\
    "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\
    "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming

search security software programs and place exclude.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  25. Divenow

Divenow Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.