The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Does SD work if I want to install and try an AV program, which then needs to reboot itself to complete the install?

Then after reboot, I can scan my system for virus and reboot out of SHADOW MODE and then my Windows 7 is back to a state it was BEFORE I installed the AV program?

And by the way, if I do a Scan when in Shadow Mode, will the AV program scan my proper C: drive for virus, or will it scan some Shadow Defender virtual drive instead and not scan my proper C:?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

No Mozart, SD is not a solution for testing programs that require a reboot to complete their installation (it can only serve that purpose if no reboot is required to complete the installation). Rollback Rx is a much better app to use for testing software.

It scans the virtualized environment, which btw is very worthwhile because although any malware that infects your system while in shadow mode will be discarded when the system is restarted, that malware could compromise your privacy while in shadow mode!

Scott

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I tested and installed some programs, and then rebooted to get back to normal, and everything was back to the way it was, very impressed with SD :)

However I did have a problem with SBIE after a SD reboot, and got this error message:

http://i46.tinypic.com/3499vr7.jpg

Does Shadow Defender interfere with SBIE once a Shadow Mode is stopped and the PC reboots?

But it was fixed with ANOTHER reboot.

4. Scott W

Mozart,

Sorry but I can't help you there as I'm not an SBIE user (I don't see why you would use SD and SBIE concurrently). :doubt:

Scott

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So when we are in Shadow Mode using SD, things can "jump out" of the virtualized mode and infect the rest of the system?

If that's the case, isn't it safer then to use SBIE to test and install software, because nothing jumps out of the SBIE? :doubt:

Sorry, Im trying to understand as I think I am not understanding SD properly yet.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I use SBIE to browse using Firefox and then use my W7 as normal. It's a lot easier than turning on SD everytime I want to browse the internet and then having to reboot. Or am I missing something here?:doubt:

So you are in Shadow Mode 24/7?

And if you are browsing in Shadow Mode when using Firefox and you add a bookmark, then won't you lose the bookmark when you reboot?

7. Scott W

No they can't and that's not what I was getting at. While you're in SM and on the net your privacy could be compromized by the likes of a spying trojan!

8. Scott W

You may have a point there (I simply prefer the 'bigger umbrella'). ;)

Just when I'm surfing the net.

That's right, unless you commit the folder.

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So throughout the day, when you decide to surf the web, you turn on SD. Then when you finished surfing you reboot? And then 20 minutes later you decide to surf the web again, and then you need to reboot again after you finished? And this can mean 20+ reboots every day. Won't that get tedious?

And how would you commit a firefox bookmark that you just added whilst being in Shadow Mode?

10. Scott W

Well, it's a matter of organizing your PC activities (and fwiw, I don't enter shadow mode for trusted websites). In actual practice I average 2 - 4 reboots a day.

I'm not a FF user, but just locate the folder that holds the FF bookmarks and either exclude it or commit it (the latter method is the safer approach).

11. genezis

genezis Registered Member

Hello,

I have problems installing Shadow Defender v1.1.0.278 on a pc that was previously using DeepFreeze 6/7.

After I remove DF (with the uninstall option inside DF) and proceed installing SD, i can´t get to the desktop screen (black screen after Windows logo), so i have to reset and choose "the best configuration settings" (when i press F:cool: to see the welcome screen again.

I´d search the thread but i can´t find the answer, if any.

I kept the thawspace disk made by SD.

I have windows xp.

Thank you! :)

12. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hi genezis, welcome to Wilders! -- I have two thoughts...

First of all, you must disable DF before uninstalling it; did you do that? - it seems like it didn't uninstall cleanly.

Secondly, why install SD build 278 when build 325 is a later and more prefered build?

TS

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

That's a LOT of reboots for each day. I only reboot once per week, as I hibernate.

14. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

It doesn't seem to me that you would 'get along' with any LV program!

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Back when I used SD,I rebooted once a week.It's rediculous to reboot that many times a day,not to mention hard on hardware inside the PC.

16. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear TheMozart,

Keep your SD on Shadow Mode, "On Reboot". And, then on every time you reboot for whatever reason, you will still be in Shadow Mode. You don't even have to reboot for a whole week.

Surf with SBIE if you want, or surf without SBIE if you want, it doesn't make any difference as you are still in Shadow Mode. Everything will be deleted.

Neither SD nor SBIE protects your PRIVACY.

Once a week came out of Shadow Mode. Do your maintenance, update Windows, update your Virus Definition, update Programs, install new Programs you want to keep, delete Programs you want permanently deleted, and so forth.

Back to Shadow Mode for one week again.

The above is the idea for a Virtualization Software.

Best regards,

KOR!.

P.S. While in Shadow Mode for one week, whenever you reboot for whatever reason, everything will be deleted. You don't have to reboot for almost a week.

P.S. You have misunderstood Scott, on how to use SD.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  17. genezis

genezis Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Finally i´d use the 325 build instead of the 278, and now it´s working great!

I didn´t do it before cause on other (very similar) pc of mine , the build 278 was working fine.

Thanks again The Shadow! :D :argh:

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

KOR, thanks for your comments, I may reconsider SD and use it again.:thumb:

And I had a thought.. I use portableapps, e.g Firefox on an TrueCrypt partition, so I can leave that partition NOT shadowed and so can save my bookmarks etc. Is that right?

But if I don't reboot for a week and have picked up an unknown infection or a known infection, then it will "jump across" and infect all my partitions that aren't shadowed right?

And how can I check to make sure the Shadow Mode is not infected?

And being in Shadow Mode, won't it slow down or affect my online gaming, e.g Battlefield?

And here is a screenshot, but NOTE, my TrueCrypt partition is J: which I store firefox, opera etc that I run, and for some reason J: doesn't show up in Disk Management:

http://i50.tinypic.com/9gegw9.jpg

19. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

To my mind it makes a difference because using SBIE with the right configuration for example can help you to avoid keyloggers. That's something that Shadow Defender cannot do (not beacuse it is a bad program but because it is not its function).

But the longer you don't reboot, the longer you will have potential malware on you computer. For example: If you do not reboot for one week a possible keylogger could steal your passwords for a whole week.

---> So to my mind
    - it is better to make relatively short sessions with Shadow Defender rebooting from time to time
    - it makes sense to combine Shadow Defender and Sandboxie because Sandboxie can give you additional security.

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Any sensistive information should be started clean,New browser session,New sandbox,New shadow mode period.

Test software in shadow mode for as long as you like then reboot its gone.Let friends or family use your computer in shadow mode and at the end of the day reboot its gone.SD is not meant to go surfing all over the net then go log in to your banking account.

21. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I agree with this...I have Sandboxie, Shadow Defender and Private Firewall running on my wife's XP Pro SP3 setup.

Sandboxie is set to be very restrictive in terms of what can start/run and reach the net.

It should greatly enhance the prevention and filtering of unwanted intrusions before the final step of removing remaining potential threats via reboot.

In the same fashion, PrivateFirewall is there to monitor both outbound connections as well as any new processes.

It runs very quietly with low resource usage (RAM/CPU) on her system and has the added benefit of not requiring daily updates to any of those three great apps. :cool:

22. aladdin

I don't use Shadow Defender anymore as my computers are all on SSDs. Right now I am trying out Deep Freeze.

I personally own licenses for:
    1. Sandboxie
    2. Zemana AntiLogger
    3. SpyShelter with Firewall

Basically, I was telling TheMozart who was rebooting more than 20 times a day that it is not necessary, but you have a habit jumping in the middle of the thread without reading the thread at all.

23. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

o_O o_O

24. aladdin

Read my dear, read!

My response was about the above!

Best regards,

KOR!

25. aladdin

Dear TheMozart,

As promised in the PM, here are screen shots from my daughter's computer.

The first screen shot, you want to be in "Enter Shadow Mode on Boot":

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.