The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Was this using Win 11?

2. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Oops.
    Edited my former post.

3. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

No problems with Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.3086 and latest Shadow Defender.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

No problem here with either 11 22H2 1848 or 10 22H2 3086.

6. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Do not think so since nothing of it applies to me. Can not find any info either on the net that anyone else experience this.
    Did a total reinstall and tried with SD first hand, same problem, diskpt.sys - blue screen. Without it - ok.

Very odd.

7. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

I've had blue screens because of SD as well, can't remember if it was diskpt.sys though. Basically the last 3 times I installed it I would get a blue screen, not right away usually within a week or so, once uninstalled the issue went away. So I've stopped using it and have no idea why this happened as it worked fine previously on my computer with almost the same software installed. The last time was over a year ago. So I doubt a software issue.

8. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

A layman's thoughts.
    Maybe it's best to install Shadow Defender shortly after the installation of the operating system?
    Tony used to say that it was best to install Shadow Defender early before other programs. There have been conflicts over the years with other software and specifically those that like to run at a kernel level...I'm no expert but what I mean by that, is programs that run at a level with the operating system itself. Some of these kernel apps lock horns at times, vying for dominance and control and fighting over the ownership of 'territory' even disrupting W*nd*ws operation itself and I think that is why it was always recommended not to run more than one copy of an anti virus program (kernel level apps) as that would lock up a system and make it unusable. Sometimes this 'lockup' manifests as system slowdown or sluggishness, glitches or can result in blue screen etc.
    I the distant past Shadow Defender even conflicted with Sandboxie but Tony and Tsuk sorted it out between themselves. Programs that conflicted with Shadow Defender were System Safety Monitor , Zemana and similar programs. Not that many as I remember but all 'kernelish' and 'bossy'.
    Anyway, just my thoughts.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Patrick- I seem to remember that suggestion/recommendation as well. It actually has worked out very well on this end (including Windows 10). I haven't had any BSOD's OR other issues when installing Shadow Defender ahead of most every other software on my machines. I can't recall now, but years ago it was explained very well by a few Ring0 experts of the difference between Driver Filters (lower & upper), their pecking order so to speak, or exact position in the scheme of things deep in the layout of where some drivers maintained their stability compared to when they would not. As in driver filters positioned ahead of SD's proprietary driver placement.

Good info to recall @sdmod

10. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Kernell is most likely the problem as mentioned here: https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...-windows-kernel-bugfix-could-break-something/

If no update comes in the future to SD and Ms will activate, permanently, this function, it will be the end for many SD users.

11. Frib004

Frib004 Registered Member

Which pieces of software does the users that had BSOD problems have installed? SD conflicts with some software products are well known, such as Vanguard anti-cheat, Webroot, Panda, etc.
    The only problem that I had with v.726 is that SD's icon on desktop goes missing, so I'm using v.680 running flawlessly.
    I had conflicts between SD and Chrome updater. Seems like every time Chrome start updating while in Shadow Mode, the system slow down. As I use Firefox, I just uninstalled Chrome and the problem went away.

12. camelia

camelia Registered Member

I love DeepFreeze in my MBP 2013 running macOS Sonoma, but I hate it DeepFreeze in Windows

Tony will not update SD for the next OS, is a great opportunity for a Developer to start coding a very similar app like SD maybe @DavidXanatos?

Thanks
    Camelia

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Would you care to elaborate?
    TIA

14. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Tony is the Shadow Defender developer
    Tony is a mysterious developer (Nobody knows who really is)
    Tony does not respond emails from user who bought the program and with valid license
    Tony only has communication with @sdmod
    Tony has not bought a SSL certificate for his website (http://www.shadowdefender.com/)

Windows 12 is around the corner maybe Shadow Defender will not work in the next Microsoft OS
    The Shadow Defender alternatives are not as good as the original Shadow Defender

Shadow Defender (SD) IS dead

It is a great opportunity for a developer who knows how to program to star coding a very similar app like
    Shadow Defender

Thanks
    Camelia

15. RenoKid

RenoKid Registered Member

Painfully, reluctantly, I agree with you. I love Shadow Defender & have been using it for over 5 years. It works perfectly on my Dell XPS Windows 10 machine but it is time to upgrade to a newer pc as MS will drop support of 10 in the next couple of years. I fear Shadow Defender, not updated in a long time, is truly dead as far as the future is concerned. I would like to see someone pick up the gauntlet & run with it, producing a new product. Unfortunately, for now, that isn't happening.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@RenoKid
    Shadow Defender works well for me on Windows 11.

17. RenoKid

Maybe I'm paranoid (I worked in IT for over 30 years & that made me paranoid;) but I find it difficult to purchase a product that has no solid support, nor has been updated since 2020(?) I believe. When it comes to security software, I need more than a "mystery man" who may or may not exist...but that's just me.

18. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

@RenoKid : I understand your point of view.

Nevertheless I would like to mention two arguments in favour of ShadowDefender:

To a certain degree it depends on the way you use SD: For my needs it is not so much a security software in the strict sense. I use it primarily for testing some unknown software, in order to find out how it works, if I like it and so if I should keep it. If I do not want to keep it, I simply have to restart my computer. For this purpose SD has never disappointed me until now. As long as this works in the way described I have no reason to doubt about SD's reliability. But of course that's just me too.

Lack of support may be a problem. But why necessarily frequent updates when a product does what it is determined to do without issues (at least for most of us)? Sometimes a lack of updates may be an indicator that a software is solid and stable. To my mind this seems to be the case with SD.

19. sdmod

I wouldn't be surprised if later or current version of Shadow Defender work with W#nd#ws 12.
    I have tried Shadow Defender on most versions of the operating system including xp and latest versions with success.
    Yes 'Tony' saga is a mystery and I've nearly burnt my brain out over the years trying to find a conclusive answer to this riddle but many users on this forum have used Shadow Defender without problems.
    I think maybe it was taken as far as it could go in development under the circumstances of constant changes and 'updates' from the Operating System developer which would commit Shadow Defender developer to an ongoing task of 'keep up'.
    I think that Shadow Defender is in optimum development. I trust it and use it every day on my various systems.
    Getting rid of 'fast boot' might be needed in upcoming OS version as was advised by Tony some time ago 'fast boot' creates a situation where you do not have a real boot.
    There are conversations and explanations of 'fast boot' in earlier posts on this forum.
    I have noticed over the years that 'fast boot' has caused problems for other programs at times.
    The problems that were a 'bit of a mystery', then, have subsequently, become, more commonplace.
    I am no expert but these are my thoughts.

Patrick (sdmod

20. RenoKid

Points well taken. Thank you. I was about to pull the trigger on Cyber Monday special on Horizon Datasys' Rollback RX Pro. I think now, I'll ponder it a bit more.

21. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same here, use it on a regular basis and never had any problems.

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

What happened?

23. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I seem to remember seeing reports whereby SD and Macrium Reflect should not be be run together. That is, to exit Shadow mode when taking an image, but I can find no reference to it now.
    I am imaging it, or could someone point me to any info.
    Many Thanks.

24. sdmod

@kennyboy
    As far as I understand it.
    I don't think that it's that Shadow Defender and Macrium Reflect shouldn't be installed on the same hardrive or are incompatible with each other, it's just that you need to go out of Shadow Defender 'Shadow Mode' when making your Macrium Reflect Image of your drive and when using your Macrium Reflect made image of your drive to reconstitute/restore your drive..
    Generally a rule for Shadow Defender is All software and software updates and these sorts of operations should be installed and run, initially, outside of Shadow Defender 'Shadow Mode'.
    When you go into Shadow Defender 'Shadow Mode' after installation of software or software updates are completed, Shadow Defender will pick up those changes, according to your settings.
    I will check later today to see if I can find you some verifying information to confirm my thoughts.

sdmod Patrick

25. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have created images using both Hasleo and Macrium while in Shadow Mode, haven´t found any problem. I don´t do this normally, just to test.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.