The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

2. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

But do those updates actually do anything? I mean sure you can download and install them, but are they actually functional?

3. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Yes, for regular paying customers. As DT would say, fake news.:D My point was that there is still a version of XP that is supported via Windows Update on XP until April 9, 2019 and that I use SD on that system. So sdmod's post still applies as a source for experiences related to SD in conjunction with XP

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Yes, they do something. They update your system.:D The link to the Update Catalog was only to show that updates are still being produced for "XP". I let Windows Update do the updates for me and do not download from the catalog.

5. askmark

askmark Registered Member

I very much doubt that you're using XP POS Ready 2009 on your machine as it can only be supplied and installed by OEMs. More likely is you're running the regular unsupported version of XP and have altered the registry to fool Windows Update to give you updates that are not intended for your version of Windows.

6. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Okay, whatever. I assume it's the same codebase. otherwise the fixes would not apply. I made my point on SD and "XP", so it's time to get back on track since this is starting to get OT.

7. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Hello,

Heeeelp I can not update my SD to the latest version on Windows 7 Pro

System Requirements:
    Windows 7 SP1 with KB3033929 installed

Ok downloaded it buuuut...

SD.gif
    I read this about KB3125574
    The Win 7 “SP2” convenience rollup KB3125574 might actually be worthwhile
    https://www.askwoody.com/2016/the-w...llup-kb-3125574-might-actually-be-worthwhile/

And There’s no reason to install the “KB3125574 , unless I have a brand new Win7 installation, which is not my case...

I don't know why I need KB3185278 also

So what now? :cautious::cautious:

Thanks
    Came

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I've used SD for quite some time, but have never really figured out how to simply and effectively use "COMMIT" Any simple instructions you could share?

On a daily basis, I usually 'compose' a lot of stuff that needs to be saved -- as well as downloading things from time to time that I also need to keep.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Simply right click on the file in question an select committ

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Tom, I am not using SD now but using the Commit function was pretty simple. If you want to save files you download in Shadow mode, save files you created in Shadow mode or save changes to files you modified in Shadow mode, you right click the file and select Commit.

You also have the option to by pass Shadow mode by adding folders or files to Exclusions in Settings. If you add a folder to Exclusions, files downloaded to that folder would by pass Shadow mode and go straight though to the real system. Same with files, for example, if you want to save Firefox bookmarks out of Shadow mode, you add places.sqlite there.

Bo

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

"Bypassing" is rather not proper word...better is to use "excluded locations are not protected by SD". It means that excluded folder will be never virtualised in SM session...whilst when you use command/option "commit now" it means that whole content of needed folder is virtualised in SM and protected by this way and potential changes are saved to real disk on our demand.

12. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Hi Camelia,
    I've emailed Tony about your problem and will post here if/when I receive a reply.

Patrick

From the Shadow Defender page I just see
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/download.html

'System Requirements
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Windows 2003
    Windows Vista SP2 with KB2763674 installed
    Windows 7 SP1 with KB3033929 installed
    Windows 8, 8.1
    Windows 10'

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  13. sdmod

The way that I use commit is, when in Shadow Mode

I right click a file or a number of selected files or complete folder in Windows Explorer (File Manager) (not Internet Explorer) and choose 'Commit by Shadow Defender' from the right click context menu.
    I've always done that so I have not a great deal of experience of other ways.
    I mostly just 'commit' a file or a few files at a time

The best way to try it out is create an unimportant folder for testing and put a few files in it with maybe sub folders with files inside too
    and try all the ways that I mention above until you are comfortable with the outcome.

As I mentioned above, I generally just use 'commit' to save individual files or a number of files.

Patrick

14. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Windows 7 requires the installation of these two updates KB3185278 and KB3125574.
    Without this I pressed YES, the installation continued, and the SD worked fine.
    Create a recovery point for Windows and try it. SD install and uninstall easy and without problems.

15. camelia

Thanks @sdmod, I will wait for a Tony's reply :)

Thanks for your advice @aldist buuuuut.... Installing and uninstalling service packs is not the correct way or is not normal to install a simple app!
    Do you agree with me?

@bo elam, Just curios why do you stop using SD? Do you find something better?

Thanks
    Camelia

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. bo elam

Excluded might sound better but when you exclude a folder, you are for all practical purposes choosing to bypass Shadow mode effect on those folders. So, it means the same.

Bo

17. bo elam

No, I haven't switch to something else. Since I use SD rarely and to keep the system cleaner with lesser chances of developing issues, I decided not to install it in W10 and uninstalled it in W7.

Bo

18. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Yesss...but actually we don't bypass protection...because that location has no protection :) We protect everything except that small thing :)

19. sdmod

Re Camelias problem post 5407. I haven't heard anything from Tony yet.
    I've sent off a reminder email

Patrick

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As a diehard crapware test fanatic SD remains and will remain a vital component. I've run some very rugged ransomwares/viruses/wipers that done everything from scramble files/extensions-change settings-to try to fudge the disk, even once it toasted all files of SD :eek: and I thought it might be the first ever image restore time (after a malware session), BUT with a single hard reset (froze panel/screen and all) the whole shooting match went away on fresh boot up as though nothing even happened in the first place.

SD is still some piece of work and time tested for sure.
    Dunno how that vanishing act actually works tony puts in it but it does still work after all this time.

Always a pleasure Patrick to follow your replies and watch you provide assistance on behalf of Shadow Defender over the years.
    You're a loyal credit to the forum, the industry, and glad to see your interest as high as ever when it comes to SD. :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  21. camelia

@sdmod

Thanks! :thumb:

+ 1 :-*

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  22. sdmod

Thanks camelia and EASTER for your kindness. :)

best wishes

Patrick

23. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i've been using Version: 1.4.0.648 quite happily on XP, but now i'm on 8.1 the SD Tool Tip that used to float on the top of my desktop fails to always appear when in SD mode. If i toggle it off

then on before i engage SD mode, it sometimes makes it appear !

Is this a known issue ? If so, how to fix ?

By the way, i always have encrypt ram enabled, not that it should make any difference, i would have thought.

24. korben

korben Registered Member

Steam- it is added to the exclusions however smtms it work smstms it doesn't - Besides residing on C: is there another folder to add to the exclusions guys?

25. Dan4

Dan4 Registered Member

Hello guys!
    I have this really frustrating problem.
    This is my configuraion: fresh and clean Windows 10 Home x64 with the latest updates, latest version of Shadow Defender, latest version of Google Chrome, nothing else.
    All settings of Shadow Defender are default, except one entry on the folder exclusion list: C:\Users\user.
    Windows and Chrome settings are default too.

Now, the problem: I go into shadow mode and reboot. Then I open Chrome, add a bookmark (or change any setting within Chrome). Then I reboot again (still in shadow mode) and open the browser once again. And it says my profile is corrupt and all my settings (and sometimes bookmarks too) are reset to defaults. [note: Win10 fast boot/hybernation has been disabled and besides I use "reboot" button so it shouldn't matter anyway]

Why is it being corrupted? After all, the Chrome profile folder, located in AppData\Local IS added to the exclusion list of Shadow Defender, in fact all Windows user profile folder is!
    This behavior is the same on several (all) PCs under Win10 that I tried, plus on a VM (VirtualBox) that I specially set up to check that.

On the contrary, the same configuraion of software works like a charm under Windows 7 - user can do whatever he wants inside his Windows profile folder, change settings and store bookmarks in his Chrome's profile and it all stays after reboot - but he can't damage the OS or change anyting system-wide. That's what I want to get! It's so easy under Win7 but seems impossible under Win10!

note1: I tried the same without excluding user's folder - it works like it should - Chome profile doesn't get corrupted (and isn't changed) no matter what you do to it in shadow mode.
    note2: using Firefox I don't have this problem. Changes to its profile are commited as they should during shadow mode.
    note3: I didn't have this problem on some old verion (maybe from around 2016) of Windows 10, even with the latest Chrome.

It seems that some changes to Chome's profile are commited and some aren't - maybe that's why it thinks that the profile was corrupted.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Daniel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.