The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. aldist

aldist Registered Member

To camelia
    If the FastStart is enabled:
    - turning off the computer - changing the shadow mode is saved (hibernation);
    - computer restart - changes in the shadow mode are not saved;
    If the FastStart is disabled:
    - turning off the computer - changing the shadow mode is not saved;
    - computer restart - changes in the shadow mode are not saved;
    This works on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.
    First post here.

2. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Since I didn't see the option at all, because hibernation is not enabled on my machine, I have to open Command Prompt as Admin and type:

Code:
    powercfg /hibernate on
    And Reduce the Size of my Hibernate File

Code:
    powercfg /h /type reduced
    03FastStartup.jpg

I hope my computer doesn't hibernate :cautious:

I will post if I am still having problems

Thanks
    Came

Update 1

Now i am lost :confused::confused::confused:

3. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Click here ScreenShot_02.png

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@camelia
    It is considered to be better to run SD on Win 10 with Faststart disabled.

As you will know with Faststart enabled shutdown is just a 'pretend' shutdown, a sort of hybrid sleep so that the machine starts up so fast people are amazed :D In fact it wasn't really shutdown at all !!

When you boot with Faststart enabled Windows and some 3rd party apps can be a bit confused as they don't know if the have really been turned off or not.

With Faststart disabled it's like the old days before Windows 8 and 10, when you say SHUTDOWN it means just that.

Quite a lot of people do disable Faststart and find it can cure out all sorts of odd little issues.

5. camelia

camelia Registered Member

@stapp
    @aldist

Thank you very much, working all day, rebooting several times no issues until now :thumb::-*

Came

6. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced degraded drive performance when Shadow Defender is protecting your C-drive? It so happens that when SD (build 672) is protecting my C-drive it totally clobbers the performance of the drive (an otherwise fast SSD)!!! :eek:

Below are benchmark performance comparisons of my drive with and without SD enabled (all other conditions are the same):

ATTO Benchmark with SD enabled. ......... ATTO Benchmark without SD.
    atto.png atto-noSD.png

AS-SSD Benchmark with SD enabled. .................................. AS_SSD Benchmark without SD.
    as.png as-noSD.png

As you can see, my results are quite dramatic! While it's entirely possible that what I'm experiencing may be unique to my system, you just may want to find out if (and by how much) SD impacts your drive's performance. ATTO and AS-SSD Benchmark apps are readily available on the internet for download and do not require installation in order to run a test.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't see any impact. In fact I always change the desktop image as a rerminder I am shadowed.

8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Casual observation may be deceiving. Why not run a benchmark comparison (as I have) and post the results.

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

@Cruise If I use ram only case (no matter the size allocated) I have similar results when copying data over 500 megabytes. But on that machine I rearly do (so does not bother me).

10. Peter2150

HI Cruise. If I saw any slow down that would be one thing, but I don't see or feel any difference, so the bench mark doesn't matter. That being said, tell me what bench mark you are using and I'll give it a whirl.

11. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

If you use your HDD/SDD instead of RAM for SD's cache don't you get similar results?

12. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Pete, as can be seen in my OP, I used the ATTO and AS-SSD benchmark apps as they are readily available on the internet for download and do not require installation in order to run a test. But use whatever benchmark app you prefer.

13. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Have not tested it without ram cache so do not know.

14. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I would expect using RAM for SD's cache to result in much faster HDD/SDD throughput for large data copies/transfers, wouldn't you?

15. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Pete, I imagine that whether or not one notices a slow-down while SD is protecting the drive depends on what you are doing on your PC. For example I don't notice any slow-down when posting on forums, receiving and sending emails, or word-processing. But I definitely see data-transfer degradation when performing database and photo-editing operations!

16. Peter2150

Hi Cruise

Ah, no surprise there. I just use SD when I am dealing with flakey internet things. No large data transfers. But come to think of it one large data thing I did was the mistake of committing a VM whose folder was gb's Took all night.

17. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Ah ha, there ya go!

18. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

To use SD, the system and the data must be separated in different partitions. If data is kept on the OS partition, all the work done in a session will be lost after a reboot. SD is intended to shadow the system partitions, not the data ones. So, it may be that some data operations are slower when using SD, but this is irrelevant in practice.

19. Peter2150

That's an option not a necessity. Work can be done while shadowed, but you just have to remember to commit it when you are done. Then it's not lost.

20. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

@Robin A. I'm well aware of that issue (notwithstanding Pete's work-around). In any case I do store my data in a separate partition, but my database and photo-editing programs maintain their 'scratch-files' (where complex data operations are conducted) on the system partition. Consequently those programs often transfer data between data and system partitions and performance is impacted when SD is protecting the system partition. I plan to try excluding those scratch files in SD to see if that eliminates performance degradation.

21. Peter2150

HI Cruise

Using commit isn't a workaround. It was designed for just that purpose.

22. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Poor choice of words on my part. How about we change work-around to alternate method? ;)

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here, I can't see any difference, I'm using standard hard drives on 5 machines, and there is no change whether it is a fast CPU or slow one.
    I have however noticed that if I use RAM Write Cache, downloading more than 10 GB (a very rare event) tends to slow down the whole computer even though I assign 4 GB to RAM Cache out of 12 available. It never happens using SD without RAM Write Cache.

I also use 'commit' systematically without any problem.

24. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I understand that there is a commit feature and can see the benefit for this to be used occasionally. But in general is the idea not to avoid doing work that is intended to be committed while in Shadow Mode?

25. Peter2150

No Reason to do that as long as you don't forget the commit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.