The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Set W10 to prompt to schedule the system restart. With updates that do not require any system restart it is kind of an annoyance - because you have no prompt to let you know that such an update was applied.

When you see a Window Update prompt to restart, you can Commit. Just close all open applications and run CCleaner before committing all changes.

2. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@Mister X - when I use SD I boot into Shadow Mode. System always remain clean... fast...

3. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Hjlbx do You use else Shadow Defender ?

4. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I use Shadow Defender "Boot into Shadow Mode."

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

L0L My Win8.1 says no, don't like it L0L
    No really, I don't know but on win8.1 SD doesn't play well "Boot into Shadow Mode".

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

A risky operation, not only because of possible malware infection but because Commit is unreliable. I would reboot in normal mode and start a manual search of updates.

7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

8. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@sdmod

SD 1.4.0.636

These issues have been reported for prior versions as well.

1 and 2 issues below occur intermittently - especially when opening a laptop lid after sleep.

1. System Status > Volume Information > Space Used by SD - does not always report the disk utilization by SD; will report 0.

2. System Status > Write Cache Information > Used - does not always report the RAM utilization by SD; will report 0.

3. Upon installation of Shadow Defender, after initial reboot Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Defragment & Optimize Drives > Status > C:\ will indicate that 2,000,000+ days have passed since the system drive was optimized.

4. When using "Boot into Shadow Mode" option, the user-defined visible tray icons will disappear on a regular basis.

5. Enter Shadow Mode with main system drive, e.g. C:\. Plus in USB drive and then attempt to shadow it as well. SD states Operation Finished, USB is now shadowed, but GUI states that it is in normal mode. Actually, USB is not shadowed.

6. SD Tray Icon > Exit All Shadow Modes - Commit window appears behind Exit and Reboot window; bug.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  9. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

From support <support@shadowdefender.com> To Admin <shadowdefenderforum@gmail.com>

Hi Patrick, Can I get some screenshots of mode setting in shadow defender and of system disk management? Thanks. Best regards, Tony

On 2016-07-16 13:17 , Admin Wrote: Hi Tony, A Wilders Forum member posted this. Post #4683

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-unofficial-shadow-defender-support-thread.293075/page-188 ............................. hjlbx hjlbx Registered Member SD 1.4.0.636 These issues have been reported for prior versions as well. Both issues below occur intermittently. 1. System Status > Volume Information > Space Used by SD - does not always report the disk utilization by SD; will report 0. 2. System Status > Write Cache Information > Used - does not always report the RAM utilization by SD; will report 0. 3. Upon installation of Shadow Defender, after initial reboot Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Defragment & Optimize Drives > Status > C:\ will indicate that 2,000,000+ days have passed since the system drive was optimized. ............................... best wishes Patrick -- Admin <shadowdefenderforum@gmail.com>

10. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

upload_2016-7-18_9-43-13.png

Whether SD shows the Space Used by SD is independent of Write Cache setting or any other settings. It is intermittent issue - and often happens when opening laptop lid after Sleep. Same with Write Cache to RAM usage.

upload_2016-7-18_9-58-21.png

upload_2016-7-18_9-45-45.png

upload_2016-7-18_9-50-3.png

@sdmod - thanks. I am not going to jump through hoops at this point in time and clean install my OS to replicate the SSD last run issue. I have important work on my system therefore I am unwilling to modify it at this time. Besides - these are just minor GUI issues. So no harm, no foul...

Tell Tony I said many thanks for SD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  11. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@sdmod

1. Shadow the system drive (C:\) and a flash drive (D:\)

2. Mode Setting > Select both the C:\ and D:\ drive

3. Select Exit Shadow Mode

4. In the prompt select Cancel

5. The flash drive (D:\) will be Un-Shadowed but the system drive (C:\) remains shadowed

After step 4 the flash drive (D:\) should remain shadowed.

I can't replicate it every single time following the above procedure, but it does occur every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  12. Telos

Telos Registered Member

When I invoke a shadow session involving the OS partition I get a pop-up notifying me that I need to format the disk in drive Y.

2016-07-28_22h57_01.png

I hit "Cancel" and all seems well. What's going on here?

13. sdmod

Reply from Tony
    Hi Patrick, When place system partition in shadow mode, the hidden boot partition will be placed in shadow mode automatically. It seems that there are some error in the hidden boot partition. A disk check may help. Best regards, Tony On 2016-07-29 20:51

14. Telos

Telos Registered Member

How do I perform a disk check of the hidden partition? A basic "chkdisk" of all partitions comes up errorless.

Thanks!

15. sdmod

Telos, If I was in a similar situation I think that I would uninstall Shadow Defender, do my checks and repair or replace the drive (if necessary) and then do a fresh installation of Shadow Defender.

Patrick

16. sdmod

For the last few weeks I have been getting this message when trying to email Tony

Patrick

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

support@shadowdefender.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    read error: generic::failed_precondition: read error (0): error

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are you using Gmail to send it?

18. co22

co22 Registered Member

19. sdmod

Yes, I'm using gmail but as pop3 and smtp from my own machine.
    I'll try sending it from another mailer.

Patrick

20. sdmod

21. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Do you guys ever use this setting?
    screenshot.6.png

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

One can use it if you have quite a bit of RAM, meaning at least 4GB. The advantage is that the whole session is in memory therefore upon rebooting the machine there is not a single trace left on the HD. It is a panacea for people with privacy concerns.

I've used it at times thinking that it might speed up the system, but it doesn't really, and I'm pretty certain that some times when using it, it would hang the rebooting process to exit shadow mode, forcing a hard re-start. It never happens when the write cache is 0 MB.

It would be interesting to know why Tony (the developer) might have introduced the feature in the first place, and my take is that in China people might have to cover up their browsing history for political reasons, but I'm speculating...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In the wake of the Win 10 upgrade and anniversary update I've noticed that turning on "Fast startup" doesn't seem to have adverse effects with shadow sessions and in particular hibernating the system in shadow mode. Definitely a big plus for Win 10 compared to Win 8/8.1.

With fast startup on, my system boots in 20 seconds to see the desktop, without it it takes an interminable 90+ seconds, and in shadow mode the system recovers from hibernation in 15 seconds... Hunky-dory.

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Version 1.4.0.648 - August 5, 2016
    New: Add the ability to exclude HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security Registry Item.
    Fixed: Fix a bug related to the latest Windows 10 updates.
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/download.html

25. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Thanks for that info :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.