The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Re: old problem 11th Nov 2015 with test version‏

To: Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback.
    I have tested with EasyBCD, but I can't reproduce this issue. I created 2 boot items by EasyBCD, one with ISO, another with .VHD. but both have no problem. Can he tell me more detail about this issue and how did he operate with EasyBCD?
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Tony

On 2015-11-12 04:38 , Patrick Wrote:

Hi Tony,
    A Wilders forum member says that he is still having an old problem with the test version Shadow Defender 1.4.0.604 (SD1.4.0.604_Setup_Test.exe)

best wishes

Patrick

He says

New
    Thanks Patrick and Tony. Test release does not work for me. Still same problems I posted earlier in this thread. Went back to 519 and no problems I could tell.

His previous posts were

huntnyc
    I briefly tried the newest version but have the same trouble that i have had with all versions after 519 which I still use. Even after I have upgraded my laptop to a new machine, the same trouble exists running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit using EasyBCD to edit BCD. If I try to edit BCD when C is in Shadow Mode, all goes well and there is no change to BCD. Then, exit Shadow mode, try to edit BCD by deleting a boot item. Reboot and then the item still shows in BCD bootup screen, click on the item and it says that it cannot be found or some sort of message like that. This happenes when no shadow mode is involved. Reported this to Tony a long time ago but no solution. Maybe it is user error, but with 519, I have no such problems with this type of actions related to BCD editing. Anyway, I will stay with 519. Not trashing the program because it is one of my favorites. Just reporting what I am seeing here and any help is always appreciated.

Security Setup - Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Windows 7 Firewall, Shadow Defender, Sandboxie Paid, MBAM Pro (on demand), HitManPro Paid (on demand), Chrome, CCleaner, Macrium Reflect 6
    Answers To Your Bible Questions at Biblesearch dot com
    Oct 10, 2015
    .................................................................................................................

and also

.................................................................................................................
    huntnyc

Registered Member

My point is, it is not about EasyBCD, that is my program of choice to use to edit my BCD in Windows 7. The point is, the behavior of 519 and any later versions are not the same even across two different hardware systems.

519 behavior when C is in shadow mode, any edits to BCD are not retained on restart as is expected. When you take C out of shadow mode, all edits to BCD are retained on restart as expected.

591 behavior and any version after 519. When place C in shadow mode, all edits to BCD are not reatined as expected. When you take C out of shadow mode, edits to BCD do not function correctly, entry that is deleted is still shown but when clicked cannot lauch the program it is associated with.

I find this strange behavior for a program that is supposed to guarantees the system will not change in shadow mode and should revert things back to normal when out of shadow mode. It does in 519 but not in later versions. Now that I have seen this on two different mahcines, I believe somehting has changed in later versions that cause this. Again, have communicated with Tony extensively but did not find anything to solve this that I could do on my end. Thanks again for all input. Still happy for now with 519 although if ever going to Windows 10, this could be challenging.

and

Thank you Patrick. Again, I love this program but every time I have tried to upgrade, I just see the difference in behavior between 519 and later versions. Hope Tony can find why the difference is there and what is the meaning of it.

............................................................................

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks again Patrick and to tony for responding. I do not know if I can explain it any clearer than my previous posts, but will repeat if that helps. Should I repost here or should I send an emalil to support that might reach Tony. thanks again.

3. sdmod

Hi huntnyc,
    Do both, then everyone can see what is happening and I'll pass it on too. If you do get some feedback from an email that you send, I would be obliged if you would post it here then we are not left hanging in the air wondering what the outcome was. :)

Patrick

4. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Patrick, thanks again. Will try to explain this in detail and clearly. Note - will first explain test under version 519 which is the one I continue to use on my Windows 7 64 bit pro laptops. Then, I will describe what happens with versions after 519 including latest test version Tony sent the link to patrick. Have communicated with Tony via email in the past but no joy on this as of yet. First some general info about my setups that are almost the same although two laptops are several years apart in age. Does not matter as to what happens in Shadow Defender. Bother are the same in this.

General info about partitions

My system drive is an SSD on which there is the C drive that has Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and the hiden unlettered System reserve partiotion that contains Lenovo and Windows stuff related to recovery and boot. I believe my BCD files are on the C drive which shows a Boot folder when Hiden System files is unchecked in folder options. This is the drive I shadow when I do not want any changes to occur. Also, I have EsayBCD installed that handles BCD with several boot items to ISos on another internal drive.

SD version 519 behavior which seems fine to me.

When system drive is shadowed, any changes in EasyBCD to BCD cannot be made. When rebooting in shadow mode no changes to BCD stick.
    When exiting out of shadow mode and making changes to BCD, all changes are recorded as expected

Later SD versions newer than 519 behavior which seems not to work to me.

In these versions of SD when in Shadow mode, no changes to BCD via EasyBCD are recorded upon rebooting in shadow mode. However, after exiting shadow mode and then making changes in BCD via EasyBCD, the items in the boot menu still display although I deleted one of them in Windows. When clicking on that boot item to an ISO, a screen comes up saying it cannot be found. In other words, for some reason after exiting shadow mode in normal system, the BCD can no longer be reliably edited via EasyBCD. I have no idea why but this is the test I have run on each new version of SD thinking it would match 519 version. Hope it is clear and thanks much to all especially Tony for looking ito it again.

5. sdmod

Here is a new test version which is trying to address an issue found regarding Windows 10 Home edition.
    http://shadowdefenderforum.com/index.php?topic=214.0

nota bene This is just a test edition

Patrick

supportATshadowdefenderDOTcom
    11:38 AM

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback.
    Please download this new version and test it:
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.4.0.608_Setup_Test.exe
    It is delayed to enter shadow mode in this new version to avoid windows update.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Tony

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

These kind of problems were foreseeable since it became clear how Windows Update was to operate in Windows 10. Also, I don´t see why this only applies to Windows 10 Home. It can also happen in Pro.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep. Another easy choice SD or Win 10. SD is the winner for me.

8. sdmod

If anyone is starting with a new installation of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) and and encounters the Windows 10 problems mentioned and happens to try this test version of Shadow Defender (SD1.4.0.608_Setup_Test.exe) then I'd appreciate any feedback. :)

Patrick

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I've been testing .604 and no issues so far when restarting the machine, as expected. However a similar issue appeared.
    It happens when exiting shadow mode and the machine reaches desktop, WhiteList file is emptied yet strangely CommandLineWhiteListWildCard file is fine. See screenshot:

ERP+SD.png

FYI WhiteList file should be 18KB in size.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

What are those files from in your Screen shot? ERP?

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes, ERP.

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What do you mean "ERP"?

13. kakaka

kakaka Registered Member

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thank you for clarifying kakaka.

15. sdmod

I would just like to bring members' attention to this thread on The Official Shadow Defender Forum.
    Another test version has been released for a particular issue.

Patrick

Any feedback/comments would be appreciated

Re: member problem November 21, 2015‏

supportATshadowdefenderDOTcom
    1:11 AM

Hi Patrick,

This issue is due to Windows Hybrid Startup/Fast Startup. When this feature is enabled, system will hibernate instead of shutdown, so all changes will retain after power back.
    Please download http://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.4.0.607_Setup_Test.exe. there is a bug related to Exclusion List.
    It may mess up the configuration.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Tony

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@sdmod
    Thanks. I suppose SD1.4.0.608_Setup_Test.exe includes fixes in .607

17. sdmod

Mister X, I think that is probably correct but I have just heard of 1.4.0.607 test version, so I'm not sure .

Patrick

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Alright then I'll test .607 since .608 addresses specific Win10 Home ed. issues not related to mine.

19. sdmod

Remember it's just a test version, so let us know how you get on with it and if you could post to the Official Forum thread on this issue too that would be appreciated.

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Understood. From now on I will post my issues at the Official Forum. Thanks.

21. Wallofasgard

Wallofasgard Registered Member

A new Version was released:

Version 1.4.0.608 - November 25, 2015

• Fixed: Fix a bug related to Exclusion List.
    • Fixed: Fix a bug related to Windows Update in Windows 10 Home Edition.
    • Fixed: Some minor bugs.
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.4.0.608_Setup.exe

or

http://www.shadowdefender.com/history.html

can someone confirm if we have same hashes? Thank you Guys.

SD1.4.0.608_Setup.exe

CRC32 : 303A9460

MD5 : 402B86CBD6FEC0C63F8F3F9604318953

Sha-1 : 0BFB2E54501FC14AD87671676B0F9051D56657B6

Sha-256 : 9193A970648792DBD9CA31BC5B6469D8F83B3129AF1097080F55825A40033E4D

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@Wallofasgard
    Yes same hashes here.
    Btw thank you for the heads up.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Pete.

I could not agree any more in that same opinion. SD STAYS!

24. sdmod

Yes I agree with both of you. Shadow Defender is 'the top *puppy*
    Hello EASTER, nice to see you again. :)

Patrick

ps Currently Shadow Defender has a seasonal reduction

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same likewise Patrick. SD is one of those few and rare apps that continue to stand the test of time and for me delightfully boggles the mind it has remained rock solid stable while continuing excellent performance in it's normal expected functions.

In short, and you heard from me for years now, Like DriveSnapshot a true jewel and masterful work of software artistry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.