The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Can anyone say 'FUD'.

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I was getting familiar with SD. Now, I just employ commit. I was running TTF so, I got used to thinking exclusions. SD is much better imo.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

So he is not bypassing SD? I couldn't make any sense out of it. And true, he was just clicking on a bunch of things. I thought maybe I was missing something.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Neither could anyone else! The only avenue for malware to bypass Shadow Mode is by way of ill-advised exclusions or commitments by the user.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  5. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Can I request that mods take down the links above to a download of Shadow defender which is to a warez forum?
    Thanks

Patrick

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A couple of posts removed. Let's stick to the official sites for software downloads.

See this:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/help/terms

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

OK...whole post was removed (even link to download from official forum of SD) but the question still exists...what about those mentioned 2 weeks? Version 1.4.0.579 is not (yet) linked on official SD page.

8. sdmod

I've e-mailed Tony and will post when I receive a reply.

Patrick

9. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

Hello

I noticed new version on some software sites: 1.4.0.579
    Is there any blog when i can find fresh lates versions of SD because it's row time when i can faster got info on sites than main web of shadow -,-

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  10. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

a) It's a "typo"on Softpedia.
    b) Sometimes these download sites (eg, MajorGeeks) comes out with a new version of something, but it's not actually available off the developer's website right then. It seems to come out just a little bit later on (guess - maybe half a day to a day...may be a time zone thing). Example...Blender 2.73a was shown on MG's. I immediately went to the blender website, which still showed 2.73 only.

I suggest staying with just checking the developers website from time to time.

f

11. sdmod

I've had a reply from Tony, Shadow Defender 1.4.0.579 is legitimate but only a small change was made from the previous release. I've emailed again to ask what the small change was.

Patrick (Admin The Official Shadow Defender Forum)

12. Zapco_force

Zapco_force Registered Member

Hey guys, I did not understand this:
    can Shadow Defender protect (virtualize) also the MBR, yes or no ?? :doubt: .....is able to repel malware attacking the MBR disk?

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As far as I know yes, but only the recent versions do.

14. sdmod

'Version 1.4.0.519 - April 25, 2014
    New: Track 0 virtualization.
    New: Hidden boot volume will be shadowed automatically when system volume is shadowed.
    Fixed: Some minor bugs.'

http://www.shadowdefender.com/history.html

15. Zapco_force

Zapco_force Registered Member

Version 1.4.0.519 is the one that I'm using!.....Forgive me for my poor expertise, but track 0 is the MBR ??

Moreover, what exactly is meant by "Hidden boot volume will be shadowed automatically when system volume is shadowed"?

16. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The MBR is on the first sectors of the track 0.

"Hidden boot volumen" means the boot partition, either in BIOS or UEFI systems. In BIOS systems this refers to the case when the boot partition is different from the system partition (also called the OS partiiton, or the Windows partition, or C: ). In UEFI systems, the boot partition is the EFI System Partition (ESP), always different from the Windows partition.

17. sdmod

Hi Patrick,

SD changed registry NoDriveAutoRun value when enable shadow mode.

Best regards,
    Tony

On 2015/1/24 0:37, Patrick wrote:

">Thanks Tony,

What were the changes?

best wishes

Patrick

18. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Presumably it will be official (the SD web site updated) soon?
    :doubt:

f

19. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

How do I manually check for Updates. Are updates over installs ?

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Could you tell why it is and what are the pros and cons of this change?

21. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

22. ichito

ichito Registered Member

@TheQuest

I think I already know...more or less...what that function is but
    - I don't know how this value was changed...to "what" (enabled/disabled)
    - does it have influence on protection of USB flash or all disk/partition protection?
    - or could play a role in exiting from SM or next SM entering?
    - maybe are there some others reasons of this change?
    Thanks for caring about me :D

23. sdmod

My 'take' on this is that it might be part of an ongoing problem that I identified years ago and have written to Tony many times about with no real permanent resolution. I feel that Shadow Defender somehow overwriting/overriding Windows settings and leaving them at default settings. This is not a problem tha happens at every re-boot.

I've e-mailed Tony today as follows.
    Please excuse my grammar and crudeness of description of the problem.
    I am no expert in these matters and my comments and criticisms are only as a user with no technical expertise.
    Also I know that my system is not state of the art but it's still my working system where I use Shadow Defender for it's stated purpose.

The reason that I'm putting my email here is that it would take me too long to write out my thoughts again and this is not a private conversation as such anyway. I've voiced my views publicly on this matter in the past.

.........................................................................................

I've been trying version 1.4.0.579 and I am experiencing a couple of problems which I've had using other versions of Shadow Defender. I use Sygate Pro Firewall 5.5. It's an old firewall.
    I also use Becky Internet Mail version 2.69.

This is a problem that has occurred for years

Shadow Defender is overwriting my Firewall settings for my email client so my email is asking me again if it can connect, when I've already told it can.

Another problem that I have is with Password Agent which is more important.

When I re-boot from Shadow Mode the Password Agent is open, not locked as it should be.

These are the sorts of problems that I've had over the years from the old Nero un-registering itself issues in early versions of Shadow Defender
    years ago.
    It seems to me that Shadow Defender is running at a level that undermines kernel level apps and their kernel status position and the authority to keep their own settings sometimes.
    In this last few versions, I've also noticed that Sandboxie sandboxed data came through Shadow Mode and was there after re-boot.
    This also doesn't happen every re-boot, just sometimes.

This is not a new problem and it isn't that it happens every time I come out and re-boot from Shadow Mode. It's always been that way on and off.
    This has not happened with every version of Shadow Defender but over the years it happens now and again. Other people have told me that they experience similar problems now and again like this.

The problem is that Shadow Defender overwrites or over-rules and ignores other apps settings that are running kernel type drivers.

Obviously I am not expressing this very well as I don't understand the workings of Shadow or it's technical aspects. Defender, only from a user's point of view.

A few versions ago, Shadow Defender killed my network ras and I still have not been able to fix it. What happens is that now if I disconnect my Internet, when I come to re-connect I get ras-hangup 668 error which is that the port is locked because the ras thinks that the port is locked and wont re-connect. The only way out of this lock is to turn of the computer and take the electricity plugs from the wall socket and do a clean boot to get to connect again.
    On that same version Shadow Defender killed my sound settings and my power settings and my Windows themes settings. The theme settings were not repairable I had to take out the default theme because setting it back didn't work. After re-boot it would come back.

These are the sorts of problems generally, that people are experiencing.

Of course, I run an older system with older apps XP sp3 ntfs 32 bit but these sorts of problems have happened right back to the early days of Shadow Defender.

The thing is, as I said, It's not all of the time...just sometimes.

I hope that this is of some help.

I'm still using 1.4.0.579 so if anything else happens I'll let you know

best wishes

Patrick

24. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Reading the prob here with SD, I want to mention something of which I am not sure if caused by SD as I am not an expert.

I use Bitdefender free. I have noticed 4-5 times that after working for 1-2 hours under SD & then restarting the system, I have got Bd free product updates. Now I know Bd free attimes provides product updates like some fixes, improvements along with database updates but the product updates are not this often.

Also sometimes I have noticed that after working under SD & restarting system, Adblock Plus settings under IE changes to default i.e by default "show unobtrusive ads" is checked, I keep it unchecked, but sometimes after using SD & system restart "show unobtrusive ads" is checked again.

Anyone with Bd free & Adblock Plus under IE faced this?

25. sdmod

I have not experience of the two apps that you mention but that is the sort of thing that I am talking about that crops up now and again and in some versions more than others. lost Antivirus settings, lost Windows settings, lost theme settings, lost sound settings, often reverting to some sort of default settings or unregistered setttings as with Nero, Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools, a long time ago. The apps seem to lose their authority over the configurations that you make after installation. I've always found this problem unnerving, most it's just a little nuisance now and again but sometimes. when you can't re-configure and make your settings stick then that can be a major problem, particularly in anything to do with security or privacy or the internet connectivity, in my case.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.