The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Exceptions have been the hardest thing to figure out for me. If I wanted to run SD with Sandboxie, Hitman pro and Malwarebytes on damenad, would I just exclude these folders from SD and that would still be a tight enough system security wise and thanks.

Gary

2. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I never use any exclusions for paranoia's sake. I've made a folder on my taskbar and placed in it shorcuts pointing to folders of the programs I want to commit manually. For example:
    C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    C:\Users\*YOURUSERNAME*\Favorites
    C:\Program Files\COMODO
    C:\ProgramData\Comodo

After adding/removing favorites or after a Comodo or Malware Bytes update I just right-click on the corresponding shortcut and commit manually. I also never install Windows updates from the Control Panel applet. I always download the updates as executable files from the Microsoft download center. Then go off-line, turn Shadow Mode off, install the updates off-line one after the other ignoring each update's prompt to reboot. Once they're all installed I reboot, then turn SM back on and go back online.

Also remember, if you deleted some files and you want to keep them deleted (e.g old favorites) remember to tick the "commit deleted files" option when commiting, otherwise you'll get them back after rebooting.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Those programs will work just fine without exclusions. Are you set on excluding them? It only takes a few seconds usually for those programs to download signature updates. I've been using SD for about 4 years now, and the only exclusions I have are the file for my bookmarks in my web browser and I have a folder excluded for downloads. Anything else I save I save to an external drive. Its worked great for me thus far. Iv'e Never been infected with anything that i'm aware of, and I do regular scans with Hitman Pro, MBAM, and a few others.

4. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks for clarificaiton. I understand your use of eclusions and sounds reasonable. My favorites are on another partition so no problem there. Thanks much.

Gary

5. usertee

usertee Registered Member

my sd version 1.1.0.331 & win xp, why other pc cannot access my shared
    folder in LAN, but i have no problem to access their shared folder. If I uninstall
    sd, every become OK. ( they can access my shared folder )
    who can help me to solve this problem ?
    thank you...:rolleyes:

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Maybe you should try the latest official release: .325
    However,as far as i know, you can't get it from the official site (you´ll be redirected to .331 version). Perhaps someone here can post a link for you.
    Good luck.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Here, you are.

8. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Personally, I come to you for help.

I'm using Shadow Mode with Shadow Defender on all the time. Mamutu I use in real time, it uses a white list which is updated twice daily.

I found the two folders it uses to update and run and put it in the "Exclusion List" but it's happening as you walk, every time I restart the laptop all the updated definitions of Mamutu is erased.

Sen so I tested the "Commit Now" in the options of Shadow Defender, I put the same two folders, if I click "Apply" all of Mamutu is placed in the orignal volume and I do not lose anything.

Could anyone help me to fully exclude the Mamutu from Shadow Defender, so it can stay updated and outside from protection of the SD?

It is possible to create these exclusions?

I thank those who help me! :thumb:

Sorry for my English.

9. Athletic

Athletic Registered Member

I tested my SD 1.1.0.325 downloaded one year ago from SD site. There is no phone home outbound connection from SD.
    Tested with Private Firewall and Look'n Stop. No risk with the newer version than .325 (for me).

I don't like that after every shadow session of the C partition there is few MB smaller free space on C. I didn't set exclusions folders and nothing commited. Before and after shadow session temp files have cleaned with CCleaner. I saw that other people here marked that.

Is there any tool that can find out what files are now bigger or new ? That also Mrizos on youtube video about SD have asked..

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Make sure you are not in Shadow Mode when you create the exclusions.

11. Athletic

Athletic Registered Member

O.K. it's not MB, it's about kilobytes...
    I found folder that is only 0.2 MB bigger after every session.
    C:/WINDOWS/Prefetch

Files in that folder can also be deleted:
    http://www.adminspy.com/Windows-Tips/Deleting-files-from-Prefetch-Directory-in-Windows-XP.html

Perfect app for find out changes, new, or modified files is TreeSize Professional :-*
    Can save .xml file before and after something, then you can compare it.

Similar free app is http://www.mindgems.com/products/Folder-Size/Folder-Size.html

Shadow Defender :thumb: :thumb:

12. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Is 1.0.325 version compatible with Win7 x64?
    I don´t find a "1.0.325 x64" version. The last time i used Shadow Defender it was the version 1.0.326 x64, that i´m not sure if it’s official...
    Thanks

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i have both the 32 and 64 bits for .025

PM me if you need it.

14. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I´ve send you a PM, thanks!

15. roady

roady Registered Member

1.0.326 and 1.0.326 x64 are beta versions.....the last releases Tony posted on his forum b4 he disappeared.....

There is an "official " 1.0.325 x 64,upped it to HotFile: Here

16. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks roady, i´ll go for 1.0.326 x64 then. I´ve used it before without problems, i was just not sure that that version was legit.

17. Cutting_Edgetech

I've been using version V1.0.325 since Windows 7 was released without any problems. I would recommend that version.

18. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I am using this version on win 7x64 since it was available with no one single problem. :thumb:

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I second that! 1.0.325 on my W7 Laptop has been awesome! :thumb:

20. rebelscum0000

rebelscum0000 Registered Member

Can someone please post the MD5, Size, Release date and Publisher
    of their installers for
    SD 1.1.0.320 [64 bit]
    SD 1.1.0.325 [64 bit]
    SD 1.1.0.326 [64 bit]
    Thank you

21. CyberMan969

I've been using v325 for a long time now and on two very different Win7x64 Ult. systems. I also recently installed Comodo Time Machine and it works great with SD. Had to remove SD first before adding CTM - otherwise CTM gives a warning that it detected SD and refuses to install. During installation it asks which disks/partitions to protect; you can choose all of them but I only ticked C: as I got stuff on the other drives that frequently change. It also takes a baseline snapshot of your chosen partitions during install (but this one obviously didn't include SD).

Once it finished installing I rebooted, then re-installed SD. CTM didn't bother me with warnings about it anymore. Rebooted again, cleaned up C:, then replaced the initial baseline snapshot with a fresh one including SD.

Creating and restoring from snapshots is ultra fast, just mere seconds. Overall I think CTM and SD go very well together despite CTM's installation warnings about SD. There are certain times when I want to undo weeks of commited SD actions and revert to a clean state again, but SD doesn't allow for that. With CTM I can revert to that state in seconds at boot time without having to restore it from my Acronis backup. If you drop Sanboxie into the SD/CTM mix as well, then we have triple protection. Sort-of like a toothpaste. Can't be a bad thing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I've uses SD on its own (= alone).
    I've never been tempted to use SD together with an ISR App.

23. CyberMan969

Well, for me they work well together. And CTM saves me having to load my Acronis backup everytime I want to revert to a clean state.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

Why would one need Comodo Time Machine with SD? I mean what are you using it for? I have never used CTM, but i'm wondering what the added benefit would be?

25. CyberMan969

I've already explained it more or less. SD is great to keep the system unchanged between reboots; but over time you may install new apps which require a reboot. In these cases you have to commit the changes with SD, and once you do it there's no turning back. Sometimes you may want to undo these installs and revert back to the clean state of the system before some software was introduced. SD doesn't provide such functionality.

If I use Acronis to restore my clean backup it takes much longer (8 to 10 min when feeding the huge backup file from my Raptor eSATA drive). It takes no more than 5 seconds to save a snapshot with CTM and about the same time to restore it. I think that SD is greatly complemented by CTM. SD gives you a clean live system and the capacity to undo all actions that don't require a reboot. CTM goes one step further by giving you the ability to revert back to any chosen state that you have saved as a snapshot. Just save a snapshot before installing some new software; then you can safely install/test before rebooting and reverting back to pre-install state if you so wish. I test a lot of software each week so this functionality is invaluable to me.

I also gutmanned about 15gig of files from C: and on next reboot I restored the snapshot and the CTM brought it all back in 5 sec flat. That's the beauty of snapshot technology when compared with classic backups: CTM stores the snapshots at the target drive's empty space, there aren't even any files involved, no copies made, just drive sector maps. So taking/restoring a snapshot of a drive is just so much faster that creating/restoring a full backup, as there are no file transfers involved like in a classic backup scenario. Of course for ultimate safety a full backup of C: on one or more different mediums is essential. This way even if the disk goes south you can restore on a new disk. But for every-day restores, snapshot technology is just so much faster.

Malware-wise I don't know how the latest version of CTM fares against the latest rootkits, probably it'll suck like almost everything else. But these are rare, and with Sandboxie, Comodo anti-execution and and SD already active, there aren't many bugs that can manage to get through to CTM. For me the chance to undo software installs in 5 seconds flat is the best thing about it. And it's free.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.