The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. roady

roady Registered Member

8.1 Pro 64 bit,Dutch.
    I could launch it,but never got to the setup screen.
    After a few times trying,I ran the setup as admin from my appdata\local\temp folder and BINGO!I could install SD....:D

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks for explaining that. Someone had mentioned that malware that was able to circumvent SD was able to do so because part of the disk was not virtualized so that people could commit changes and safe stuff permanently. But I guess I have misunderstood.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I am pretty sure that I read that right here in this thread. So I assumed that it was something that had been discussed. I only pop in here sporadically. I do seem to remember someone posting a video from youtube of a guy that tested SD and found malware that remained after reboot. So are there known forms of malware that can survive a reboot?

I use SD and I also use Sandboxie. Is there any kind of consensus here on what else to add? I am thinking of adding Comodo firewall but I have also read that Private Firewall is good. And maybe some kind of executable. But if SD is going to add something like this I believe I can wait.

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

A firewall would probably be a worthwhile addition. Comodo is supposed to be pretty good (although I've never used it), Online Armor is also very good. I'm currently using PrivateFirewall, which has worked very well for me -- and it's extremely light on system resources (something I was looking for).

If you're interested in an anti-executable, NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro is great! It's inexpensive, but it's not free.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The first thing to say is that, providing you are behind a router, you don't need to add anything else, which isn't to say that you shouldn't add additional layers if you want to. You've already got system-wide virtualization with SD; and you've got application virtualization, policy restriction options, anti-execution options, and a degree of outbound firewall control available with Sandboxie, but for sandboxed applications only.

Here are some additional options to consider which, unlike Sandboxie, operate system-wide and are a good complement to SD: -

• Policy restriction: AppGuard.
    • Anti-execution: NVT ERP or VoodooShield, if you don't want to wait for SD.
    • Real-time AV: Several good free ones to choose from.
    • Firewall with HIPS: Only required if you want outbound application control, otherwise just turn on the Windows firewall.
    The above list is by no means exhaustive, but could be a place to start.

6. roady

roady Registered Member

@pegr,

Are ERP and Appguard compatible??

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I can answer that for him. Absolutely. I run them both on 3 XP and 1 WIn 7 X64 machine. No issues at all. Currently have the latest beta's of both with no issues.

Pete

8. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

I always wonder what's the Point of running security applications together that basically cover the same purposes. I really don't see any benefit apart from restricting yourself.

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you are referring to AppGuard and NVT ERP, there can be a benefit, depending on what the user wants to achieve.

Although there are some similarities, AppGuard and NVT ERP have different feature sets and underlying philosopies. AppGuard is a policy restriction program based on trusted enclaves, and NVT ERP is an anti-executable based on whitelisting.

With AppGuard it isn't possible to block programs in system space from executing, but their runtime behaviour can be restricted by listing them as untrusted. NVT ERP on the other hand can be configured to block any executable, no matter where located, but once running doesn't apply any further restrictions on behaviour.

Also, some people just like to have belt-and-braces protection even if it does lead to some duplication of coverage. I have experimented with both NVT ERP and VoodooShield alongside AppGuard (purely out of interest) and both anti-executables run just fine alongside AppGuard without any performance or other issues.

10. roady

roady Registered Member

@ Peter2150,
    THX for your confirmation,and pegr,thx for your clarification!:)

11. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

If it's not a bother, may I ask what adjustments you made to all programs so no conflicts would occur?

12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

In order to run Sandboxie in conjunction with AppGuard, it's necessary to ensure that the sandbox container folder is in user space so that guarded apps running in the sandbox can write to it.

Other than that, on my system: none.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  13. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Ok I know that part, thanks man :thumb:

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Any hint to the expected new update before December? Working excellent here as always on windows 8 x64.

16. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Hi Easter, :)
    I've written (emailed) Tony three times in the last week or so asking for news etc but (as yet) have not received a reply. I've written once again today, positing that more forum input from him and user/developer interactivity would be a good thing for development of Shadow Defender.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Maybe he's too busy working on the update.;)

18. sdmod

Yes PIInfinity, That's what I try to say to prevent myself from ripping my own hair out. ;) Like a protective mantra
    "Maybe he's too busy working on the update
    Maybe he's too busy working on the update
    Maybe he's too busy working on the update
    Maybe he's too busy working on the update"

19. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Seven new versions have been released in this year. Enough for a year.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well why don't you think it in another way? Tony could possibly be saying a mantra himself and ripping his hair out
    "Work on SD
    Work on SD
    Work on SD
    Work on SD"

21. sdmod

Yes maybe so :)

22. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

What are you guys smoking? ;)

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Shadow Defender ever newer faster expectations syndrome.

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ROFLMAO...:argh:.....

25. sdmod

Joking aside, I get worried,annoyed and frustrated when Tony doesn't answer my emails and then there is no explanation given at all. Historically this has been a big problem and I don't want more of the same. My way of thinking is that if I treat him respectfully then why should I not expect the same in return? To be quite frank this sort of behaviour becomes over time very draining and verges on being insulting. Not knowing his life circumstances and accepting that he is a one man show I try my best not to overload him or get in the way of the development. In fact I try to to be as helpful as possible without being intrusive. I don't think that this is a cultural thing and if it is a personal policy then it stinks. The Official Shadow Defender Forum is only just ticking over between releases because Tony wont post anything (he's posted once).
    I know when I was global moderator on the original Shadow Defender forum that Tony would post at times and that there was some dialogue with members.
    I feel it is essential that there is some will from Tony to engage in dialogue with forum members and Shadow Defender users.
    I know that when you get some momentum of dialogue that you have to keep it up (see Isso AX64 thread as example).
    I'm not rushing Tony or baying at his door for a new release of Shadow Defender, I just need a consistant dialogue and a little bit of input from Tony on The Official Shadow Defender Forum to make it worthwhile.
    To give you an example, I have found out about the last few releases not through Tony (as one might expect) but by reading Wilders posts. This is a matter of manners not ability.
    If Tony happened to be (for example) very physically disabled or had extreme life problems, then I could understand this behaviour but he has never indicated in any way that this is true. When Tony returned after a very long absence (and in that time members, mods, users everyone were left without support or contact) I received absolutely no explanation whatsoever.
    I know that Shadow Defender is a one of a kind classic software and I want to support it and it's developer but he has to show willing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.