The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Last night I entered shadow mode, surfed a bit and then entered the SD menu. I then exited all shadow modes by shutting down from the gui. Today when I booted up I was still in shadow mode. Is this a bug that others are seeing?

My specs are in my signature. I also have Macrium Reflect free installed.

Also, when does SD dump the changes when exiting shadow mode. Is it during shutdown or at boot?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I think the discarding of the hidden diskpt0.sys control file that is created on a partition when it enters shadow mode is done at shutdown. It is the existence or non-existence of this file that determines whether a partition enters shadow mode at boot time. If it were not deleted at shutdown when exiting shadow mode, the partition would automatically be in shadow mode again at the next boot.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

From the Help:

4. coffeetime

coffeetime Registered Member

Pat yes of coarse as always :)

But letting the list wait this time to finish testing new test routines. Which will also run on other LVs I've yet to try, minimizing back and forth. Found a great collaboration on another forum with similar LV set-ups.

Really liking these multi layer combos, I'm just beginning to realize you can do/try things that wouldn't be possible with only one or two! gosh I'm slow lol

5. innerpeace

Thank you both for your replies! So it appears that the changes are dumped at shutdown. It also totally slipped my mind that I'm using 2GB RAM for the write cache. I guess nothing could stay in RAM after shutdown or reboot.

I'm pretty sure I selected exit shadow mode when shut down. It seems like I remember it booting into shadow mode once before. I'll have to try it again in the future when I get a chance.

Edit: I did get to try the exit by shutting down twice last night and everything worked fine. I either missed a check box or it was a fluke. From what I see the correct boxes are checked by default so I don't think it was my mistake. I will definitely keep an eye out to see if it happens again in the future. Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. topguynow

topguynow Registered Member

I am giving away my pc to a relative. All my banking, financial transactions, stock purchases, trading etc have all been done on this computer while using Shadow Defender (v. 325) in Shadow Mode. I have uninstalled SD but I would like to know what info might remain that would be wise to erase-such as the SD partition or otherwise-that may contain the records of all those financial transactions, etc?

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

it would be wise to use a drive nuker, such as DBAN, before you give any hard drive away. You just never know what can be one a drive that you thought was gone, and I always err on the side of caution.

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

DBAN certainly works, but you need to know that it totally wipes the drive -- including the operating system.

9. topguynow

topguynow Registered Member

I am not really wanting to nuke it and erase the entire drive. I want to keep it as ready to use as possible. Would using something such as Privazer as well as wiping the free space take care of the financial/banking browsing activity traces?

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi innerpeace,
    It actually happened to me as well, I was even thinking that perhaps the new SD might inadvertently behave like the old ShadowUser Pro from Storagecraft which could be set to save sessions across reboots. At the time I thought maybe I did something wrong unwittingly, although like you, I was fairly certain it did happen. We also have the same OS in common. I rarely use SD nowadays, therefore I don't know how often it might happen if indeed we are dealing with a bug. Time will tell.

12. innerpeace

Hello Osaban,
    Thanks for the confirmation. I was also wondering if changes might carry over so I put a text file on my desktop but I couldn't duplicate bug. I'll keep a close eye on my future sessions and see if it happens again. I'm using version 1.3.0.455.

Perhaps this is related.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2259129&postcount=2721

13. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Shadow Defender Version 1.3.0.457 - September 13, 2013
    What's New: Supports Windows 8.1.
    What's Fixed: A GUI bug related to Registry Exclusion List

Download here

14. sdmod

re Shadow Defender Version 1.3.0.457

support@sh​adowdefende​r.com
    5:32 AM

To: Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, this version doesn't include the full disk virtualization.

Best regards,
    Tony

On 2013-09-13 03:05, Patrick wrote:
    > Hi Tony,
    > Congratulations on the release of Version 1.3.0.457 - September 13,
    > 2013
    > A member asked "Does anyone know if this version includes the full
    > disk virtualization?"
    > I told him that you would have included it in the release notes if
    > that was the case.
    >
    > best wishes
    >
    > Patrick :)

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Is this latest version pretty stable on XP SP3? Does it require a clean install or can it go over the top of a previous version?

16. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Tom,

Fwiw I run v1.1.0.331 on my XP SP3 machine and it works flawlessly. Subsequent versions primarily incorporated changes for Win 7/8 and SSD compatibility as well as registry exclusions (not of value to me). Use of memory for SD cache was also introduced, but I can't say that I see any noticeable performance improvement after enabling it. :doubt:

TS

17. sdmod

Yes I agree Shadow
    I run 1.1.0.325 and use XP SP3 (by choice) with no problem, I don't have much ram (and it is limited by ram ceiling in XP) and don't see any noticable benefits when running more recent versions. I have used versions with SD cache but I can't say that I see any noticeable performance improvement after enabling it.

18. iibao

iibao Registered Member

Do you have the "fast startup" feature on? That might be causing it.

19. innerpeace

Hello iibao,

The Windows 8 install I did 3 weeks ago is not a UEFI install so Fast Boot wouldn't be an option. Thanks for your input though. It was a good idea!

20. kupo

kupo Registered Member

You have fast start up turned on. It's default on in Windows 8. Basically when you shut down, it just logs off and then hibernate. The reason you are still in shadow mode is because it just hibernates and not actually shutdown. Try to restart, and see that you will get out of shadow mode.

21. innerpeace

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about Fast Boot in the BIOS/UEFI. I looked into what you suggested and I'll give it a try. The SD issue doesn't happen every time so I'll keep an eye out.

22. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

23. sdmod

News Update 19 Sep 2013

support@sh​adowdefende​r.com
    1:10 PM

To: Patrick

Hi Patrick,

The next version will support Track 0 virtualization.

Best regards,
    Tony

24. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Patrick,

Thanks for the update - I know that Wendi (who first suggested this important addition) will be pleased to hear the news!

TS

25. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What exactly is track 0?

In traditional (512 bytes/sector) and AFD (512 bytes logical, 4k physical) disks, track 0 is the name given to the first 63 sectors.

Does this definition apply also to 4k disks? That is, in these disks, track 0 is 63*4096 (=252 KB), or is still 63*512 (=31.5 KB) ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.