The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

No and yes, respectively. ;)

2. co22

co22 Registered Member

it now support registry exclusion in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    and its very good but not support
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It'd be great if there was automatic update.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Amit,

It's not as if SD is updated all that frequently and it's very easy to manually check for updates. If found, it's a quick download and you can install it over your existing version (it's not necessary to uninstall older version).

Furthermore, you might not even want the updated version if the changes are not relevant to your situation and your existing version is doing the job. ;)

Cruise

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Exactly, I can definitely vouch for that.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I have a license of Shadow Defender, but I forgot if it's lifetime or not and if I can install the license on more than one machine.

It's been awhile since I used it, which is why I ask.

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

It's a lifetime license.
    I believe its 1 license per machine if I'm not mistaken.

8. Tyrizian

Thank you LoneWolf, I appreciate the info :thumb:

9. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I thought the author of this program was missing in action?
    What is this new SD, is he still the boss?
    I remember reading it was taken over by an impostor.
    Sorry to lazy to search through all 100 or so pages.

Thank you much.

10. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

The author ('Tony') has reappeared after MIA for a couple of years. A few of us have emailed him and have received replies from him. He has even made a (scarce) appearance on The Official Shadow Defender Forum.

TS

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

In that case, it's okay.:) Thanks for explaining it to me.:D:thumb:

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah he's back. I've received rapid response to my email support queries just a couple of days ago.

13. Tyrizian

I just want to use this tool to test out software, What drive do you recommend for testing, C:\ drive (System), or secondary partitions (D:\, E:\, etc.)?

And...

Let's just say I enter Shadow Mode on E:\, and install some test applications, can shared dlls break free from SD and commit changes to C:\ during install?

If I do test on secondary partitions, do you recommend entering Shadow Mode on all drives, just to be safe?

I haven't used Shadow Defender all the much, Which is why I have questions.

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Irrespective of where the software you are testing is running from, if you want to ensure that no traces are left behind on the disk when you have finished testing, you need to put all of the partitions into Shadow Mode before you start testing.

15. Tyrizian

I'll definitely do it this way then, Thanks for your help pegr, I appreciate it.

16. ichito

ichito Registered Member

As regards your question...I have similar and permanent situation; on system disk I have all most important app for my work and daily activity on internet with Firefox included...on disk D:\ i have special folder called "Services" where I have tools like 7-Zip, Autoruns, Blowfish Advanced CS, CCleaner, CDBurnerXP, EmsisoftEmergencyKit, Everything, FormatFactory, FreeCommander, FreeOTFE, Geekuninstaller, PhotoFiltre, ProcessExplorer, RegSeeker, SumatraPDF, System Explorer Portable, WinContig, XnView. So as you can see there are not only portable apps but also installed by specific installer. All apps create folder/files, registry entries, dll files, drivers, services (even portable like for example System Explorer)...everything what they need to proper work not only on disk D but also on system disk (C) what is obvious.
    So...if you want to test some apps installled on disk other than C: you should include both into Shadow Mode because some files have to be droped on C and D. In my opinion and by my experience i can say it's much easier to test apps installed only on system disk...all files and entries will be created only on one disk for sure.

17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

18. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Please note that Shadow Defender is not suitable for when you want to test programs that require reboots in order to become functional. For software that don't need a reboot after installation, SD is fine. For hassle-free need-to-reboot software testing you should be looking at snapshot software.

I would recommend to put all partitions in Shadow Mode when you are testing non-certificated software or programs of unknown origin. If SD says that some files are open on the volume when you are putting it in Shadow Mode, then it's best to schedule Shadow Mode for that volume and reboot before installing the stuff you want to test.

Also, some software may add stuff to your personal folders (e.g. favourite entries). If you have moved your personal folders to a different partition, then make sure to put both C: and that other partition in Shadow Mode before testing unknown stuff. Best thing to do is to schedule Shadow Mode for both partitions, reboot, then install the things you want to test.

Have a look here for my light virtualization/snapshot technology guide and SD review, contains all the usage tips you'll need. If you like the articles please comment!

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5...erall-safety-net-for-your-computer/index.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/52...e-review-and-guide-shadow-defender/index.html

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Tony may or may not realize it, but this newest beta is such a tease. Can't wait to see (and use) the other new features when he impliments them.

SD just keeps getting better!

20. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I'm intrigued EASTER, what do you mean by a tease? :)

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

That sounds like a good idea CM, I am going to start doing that. I dont remember seeing the message ever in my W7 but I see it sometimes in my XP. In the past what I have done when I had "some files open" is wait a couple of minutes and then put the PC in Shadow mode. Very nice.

Bo

22. CyberMan969

Thanks Bo! :thumb:

23. Tyrizian

This helps a ton, thank you very much :thumb:

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I don't think Shadow Defender was ever intended to eventually serve as a program tester for apps requiring reboot.

But who knows it might reach that point one day, i dunno. It's. Tony's call on that.

It does offer it's own unique protective shield though with the virtualization it impliments. And although very gradually adding even more useful/protective features, it's in a class of it's own we can live with.

It's even more exciting now since Tony is actively retooling it to offer us ever more useful features while keeping it completely stable and lite as air on our systems.

25. CyberMan969

I am proud to announce that the official Shadow Defender Facebook page is now up and running. I thought that SD desperately needed Facebook representation and Tony agreed, so I created it. I imagined this as our very own SD community, a place where we can connect with each other and discuss all things SD - and Facebook offers networking features that are not available in a classic forum.

Tony cannot access Facebook from China so I will be managing the page. I am in frequent contact with Tony via Skype, and I will be able to relay information from him directly to our Facebook members.

Please note that the purpose of the SD Facebook page is for general discussions on the present and future of SD, and also for discussing light virtualization/snapshot tech in general. For bugs, please e-mail Tony directly.

So, come on in folks, spread the word and lets start talking! :D

http://www.facebook.com/Shadow.Defender.Official.Page

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.