The Triple Threat

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A realistic analysis indeed.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s like running two AV or two FW at a moment.

3. waldovanlaeken

waldovanlaeken Registered Member

Hmmm...? o_O

Need more than one tool ? sure, Firewall + ISR

(First-defence/DeepFreeze/EAZFIX/returnil/shadowdefender/shadowuser)

But that's still more than one program according to you ?

Offcourse installed on a clean system !

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Not strictly true. DW is a policy based HIPS and Sandboxie is an out and out sandbox. I do believe it's overkill and i've already said that. Tbh, I will likely drop DW in the near future as I honestly don't believe it is adding anything that Sandboxie is not already doing. My only problem is to find something to use in it's place that 'adds' to my currently protection.

Sandboxie, Defensewall, Browser Sentinel, Ad Muncher. The choices at the moment that I have paid for versions of are: KAV7, A-Squared Pro and SAS Pro. But I'm planning on keeping them for on-demand only and really was looking for something that doesn't require signature based protection. I'm on the lookout and welcome suggestion's...

muf

5. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

You would not need more than one tool that actually does a specific job...

Also one of he issue with any type of virtualisation is that you will eventually need to install something outside of it... For example a new messaging tool. Then how do you know if it's not infected? Of course you could always scan it at virustotal.com or Jyoti.com but humans being the way they are unless the "scanning" is automatic they probably wont do it.. thus you also need an AV as well. Also given that your AV will not block or detect certain types of scripts while you use your web browser you probably would be wise to use Firefox with no scripts... because once again you will eventually need to do some browsing outside your virtual protected scheme... And since you probably wont know how to recognize a script when you see one as it's invisible to the user you will need it to provide that "layer" of protection...

There are good reasons to use layered protection... Only not the way some here promote it. Take the time to identify your own need and the potential pitfalls ahead of you and close those gaps with the appropriate combinations of tools for the job... Done intelligently it will provide almost 100 % Protection...

Also read the pages on the links in my signature... they will provide ample explanation for you to understand the risk and some of the solutions... Use your discernment and you will make your own environment as tight as necessary.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ThreatFire, any calssical HIPS etc

7. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

And you fail to realize that people who BORTHER to read these forums are obviously either already security conscious or are on the path already that they don't need scare mongering from the likes of you.

Do any of your clients read forums like this? If they do, I bet they wouldn't use your service!

You are new to this forum, you haven't a clue about the people here, you come in here underestimating everyone. And I'm not the only one to say this.

LOL. if by "here" you mean wilders forum, That must be the most condensending thing I have heard and you really insult the people here.

Even I don't think people here are "intellectually challenged" to the extent that they don't know how to protect themselves.

o_O Who are you talking about... There are people here who indeed do marketing, but very very few care whether they use other products as long as they buy theirs!

In fact, such people encourage the "as many as possible" approach you advocate, because "many" increases the chances of their own product being included in it.

Hmm, that wouldn't be you right? How would commission do you get?

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hello, no use of word war. Better to quit.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Excellent advice. Please HEED it.

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

With Returnil you practically don't need anything else other than the Windows firewall and any competent AV. Just roll back before entering any personal information in a web form. Some would even blow off the AV for performance reasons.

11. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

On my gaming setup it is the only utility I use besides my firewall... and only when I do online games. However because of how it works I wouldn't use it (Or any virtualisation) on my primary system, as the only security, as I need to do constant changes and not only once daily, I need my system full on and on the fly... Besides I hate having to reboot for anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.