The Symantec/Norton Thread.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Without plugins there is no phishing/web protection, just exploit/drive by download protection.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It's debatable how needed it is. Years ago, there was no web protection. It's another line of defense, but the resident AV should take care of it regardless.

3. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Years ago, there were no malware injection into "safe" webpages. Years and years ago, there were no antiviruses because there were no computers. Technology advances and these things are necessary now.

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

There was always malware that came from webpages. That isn't a 2015 invention. Resident shields work for that.

I disagree. The resident shield is enough.

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Well two things: 1.) A Resident shield will not help some uninformed user that has stumbled onto a phishing site; 2.) NS, when its firing on all cylinders, which it currently isn't on FF, is far better at blocking malware and preventing visits to phising sites and sites known to have contained malware than it is in detecting it once its on your system.

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

7. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Does Norton still deletes some detection without quarantining?
    Have it ever deleted anything important/critical without quarantining on your system?
    How good is Norton's PUP detection/protection?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes, I think so.
    Not so good at PUPs.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@yesnoo I haven't used Norton for a number of months, but as far as I can recall, everything gets quarantined. However, it is not possible to get it to always prompt for a choice instead of auto quarantining. There will always be some items that get quarantined automatically.

10. khanyash

Are you sure?
    Coz in this thread here & Norton forum I see posts mentioning deleted file without quarantining.
    Checkout page 8 of this thread.

Anyone running latest Norton?
    May be they have changed things like option to always ask, quarantining all detection instead of deleting some, etc...

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@yesnoo Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure, as I have not used Norton for a while. But that is how I recall it worked. I'm quite happy with my current antivirus right now. If I wasn't, I would install Norton again to check.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes, I am, and although I personally haven't experienced it I too have read threads on the Norton forums about Norton deleting files without quarantining them.

13. khanyash

Couple days back I had tried Norton Security under Shadow Defender. If I remember correctly there were options to set it to ask for Sonar, Download Insight, etc... Does setting those options to ask gives alert with options like quarantine/delete/ignore, etc...? If Yes then deleting files without quarantining can be prevented, right?

And if the delete prob is only with new files i.e files you try to download, etc...then guess not a major prob. If it doesn't deletes files (files already present on the system) without quarantining then good. But then how does it treat files on external devices?

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Sorry, but I don't know. I have had some files quarantined as they should be but so far never any just deleted outright and most of my settings are in their default value. Maybe someone here who has had files just deleted can answer you.

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  16. khanyash

Thanxx for the links.
    I think will go with other security software.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

yesnoo,

As I've said, it hasn't happened to me. Maybe not a reason to use an alternative.

18. khanyash

But with such design there's always a risk.
    The system has bro's office files/projects & other important stuffs. Though every week or 2 we do backup but you never know when anything important Norton will delete that was not backed up yet.

User dont like autoquarantine & heres a company that autodeletes...simply dont understand the behavior.

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Fair enough. I can understand that it's not worth the risk for you. If Norton started just deleting files on my machine with no way to restore I'd be peeved and would start looking for an alternative too.

20. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

I'm not sure, if Norton does that auto-deleting anymore.
    At least I haven't noticed it during the last weeks.
    It still does auto-quarantaine...

AVIRA and Kaspersky always ask.
    Kaspersky is superior, because it classifies files best.

21. khanyash

The links mentioned by Hawki above are for the latest Norton.

22. snippits

snippits Registered Member

I had a couple files detected on a flash drive that are considered malware, and then auto quarantined by Norton. I just opened the logs, and then restored the two files right back to the flash drive, and then excluded them. Was easy as pie.

23. khanyash

Norton doesn't deletes everytime but sometimes & dont know on what basis deletes sometime.

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Go through Settings to confirm your preference. For example. "SONAR Advanced Mode > Remove Risks Automatically or Remove Risks if I Am Away". And. "Low Risks". Maybe avoid options like Always n' Remove. I prefer Ask Me/Ignore. And for example > https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6846961#comment-6846961 > https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6847091#comment-6847091

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  25. khanyash

Currently have uninstalled Norton. If I remember correctly not all the options have "Ask Me" choice but only remove or ignore & thats bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.