The state of Online Security and AV reviews

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Templar, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Templar

Templar Registered Member

Hello..

Any one feel that most of the reivews are severly lacking and unprofessional, even reviews by major sites.

The methology used and general approach seems to be lacking. I don't know how many reviews I've seen where not being free seems to be a "con" haha :)

Simon

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Alot of Reviews are paid for by company's to show it's company in the best light. Your best bet for right now at seeing performance is Thur independent organizations, Like AV-Test and AV-Comparatives. Tho some consider the methodology of the test there outdated, it's still the closet thing we have right now to reliable tests.

3. Templar

Templar Registered Member

Hi Fajo.

Yeah I rely on those sources myself for good reviews.
    Here's an example: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346862,00.asp
    It's a review of Prevx which seems very intersting but in this review for example there are several refrences to "other security solutions" and statements how Prevx faired in comparrison to them. Never however are there any tables or any data presented to give you an overview of how exactly Prevx compared and no link to testing methology. Are we supposed to assume and cross reference from other reviews we see on that same site??

I'd sum that review up like this: Prevx looks great and it scanned great too and found all the bad files on my computer, it was third in my home made scan test that my teen daughter prepared for me and in the eliminate bad files test it was quite good and it was second in that test against the "other security apps" out there which I'm not sure who they are exactly so I'm not posting any link here. Great solution, it felt great and made my teeth whiter.

hehe :)

Simon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.