"The service cannot be started"

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by janetb, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janetb

janetb Registered Member

I installed a new HD for backup. Opened with backup.exe to make the initial backup because none of the other .exe files opened anything. There is no launcher in the Program folder with the usual Paragon icon. The backup was completed, but I still cannot open the program.

When I click on dbhagent.exe, I get a window saying:
    "The service cannot be started, either because it has been disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

When I first got the program, the program informed me that I had no space big enough to do a system backup. I eventually did something to stop it from opening a window to set up the system backup every time I booted up. But I can't find anywhere that shows it disabled.

AnVir Task Manager shows DBH Agent to be Enabled and to open at Startup. The window quoted above comes up at Startup. How can I access the console?

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

forgive me, could you please give more information on this issue as well as what version of software you are currently using and how you are attempting to access the software.

3. janetb

janetb Registered Member

App: ParagonSystemBackup10.5 SE

Set to open at Startup. It does--by giving me the window saying:
    "The service cannot be started, either because it has been disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." All I can do is click the OK, and it closes. If I double-click the dbhagent.exe file in the Program folder, I get the same window. According to AnVir Task Manager, dbhagent.exe is Enabled.

Backup.exe opened the Backup Wizard, thus allowing me to make a backup, which seems to be OK (judging by the size).

Neither pelauncher.exe nor plauncher_s.exe (in the Program folder) do anything.There is no launcher in the Program folder with the usual Paragon icon.

I got the app a long time ago, but was not able to use it due to lack of sufficient storage space. Now that I got a new external HD, I was very much looking forward to using it.....

I do still have the .msi file and the PRODUCT KEY and SERIAL NUMBER, but am afraid the key may not still work (?), and I didn't want to lose it. I imagine a reinstall would fix it--unless you have an easier way.....

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

I know that version is designed as a 'set it and forget' operation, the software is looking for what backup location it is assigned to, that is why you are receiving that initial error, though I will tell you it sounds like there may be more issues than just that.

5. janetb

janetb Registered Member

Matt,

You write:
    I know that version is designed as a 'set it and forget' operation"

1. But the program does have a GUI where you set it--at least the first time! I simply would like access to the GUI!

2. It already made a backup. If it still doesn't know the backup location (??) there should be a way to tell it i.e., in the GUI options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.