The Secret Life of Icons

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by toploader, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

the last couple of days i've had a few glitches with the icons in the system tray.

yesterday the volume icon disappeared - but there was still a blank space which if you clicked on it brought up the volume sliders panel. that was relatively easy to fix - i simply went to the appropriate panel in the control panel and clicked to deactivate and reactivate the icon - and it reappeared. today it came up at boot as per normal.

today my modem icon has disappeared - this normally flashes away merrily to let me know i'm online. today it's gone and there is no blank space where it should be. it's no biggy - perhaps it will reappear at reboot/reconnect - the question is why have my icons suddenly started playing up? - are they getting bored? or do they have a secret life?

2. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hya top,

I think maybe your PC is protesting to been overworked with all the testing etc lol !

Have you tried a restore ? I know it doesn't solve the prob, but i can't think why it should be happening, unless you've been tampering somewhere !

Hope you get it fixed anyway,

StevieO

3. toploader

it's probably entropy StevieO - i'm told that one should re-install windows every six months to keep the system stable. there's no chance of that in my case as i don't have an XP install disk so it will just run until it gives up. hopefully the icon will return when it's finished it's vacation - it doesn't really matter that much if it's there or not - one just get's used to it and wonders why it suddenly goes AWOL.

i had a windows 95 system which ran for 2 years before it's first BSOD - i didn't have the disk for that either - had to purchase a new copy of win95 and reload - but it was never the same after the BSOD - IE gave up working and wouldn't uninstall/reinstall - the audio gave up along with various other applications - i can just about connect to the internet with it using an ancient netscape browser but it crashes every other website - there is no 95 support anymore and very few browsers/apps are 95 compatible now. still i had 7 years out of it.

4. toploader

i just rebooted the system and the modem icon has returned holding a suitcase with stickers for paris new york barcelona and milan - obviously had a nice vacation :)

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.