The Secret Life of Icons

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by toploader, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

the last couple of days i've had a few glitches with the icons in the system tray.

yesterday the volume icon disappeared - but there was still a blank space which if you clicked on it brought up the volume sliders panel. that was relatively easy to fix - i simply went to the appropriate panel in the control panel and clicked to deactivate and reactivate the icon - and it reappeared. today it came up at boot as per normal.

today my modem icon has disappeared - this normally flashes away merrily to let me know i'm online. today it's gone and there is no blank space where it should be. it's no biggy - perhaps it will reappear at reboot/reconnect - the question is why have my icons suddenly started playing up? - are they getting bored? or do they have a secret life?

2. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hya top,

I think maybe your PC is protesting to been overworked with all the testing etc lol !

Have you tried a restore ? I know it doesn't solve the prob, but i can't think why it should be happening, unless you've been tampering somewhere !

Hope you get it fixed anyway,

StevieO

3. toploader

it's probably entropy StevieO - i'm told that one should re-install windows every six months to keep the system stable. there's no chance of that in my case as i don't have an XP install disk so it will just run until it gives up. hopefully the icon will return when it's finished it's vacation - it doesn't really matter that much if it's there or not - one just get's used to it and wonders why it suddenly goes AWOL.

i had a windows 95 system which ran for 2 years before it's first BSOD - i didn't have the disk for that either - had to purchase a new copy of win95 and reload - but it was never the same after the BSOD - IE gave up working and wouldn't uninstall/reinstall - the audio gave up along with various other applications - i can just about connect to the internet with it using an ancient netscape browser but it crashes every other website - there is no 95 support anymore and very few browsers/apps are 95 compatible now. still i had 7 years out of it.

4. toploader

i just rebooted the system and the modem icon has returned holding a suitcase with stickers for paris new york barcelona and milan - obviously had a nice vacation :)

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.