The Rise of the Anti-Ad Blockers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 14, 2016.

1. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

It needs more management than ublock but I wouldn't call it micro management by default. If you want to go there, you can, but most sites just require a bit of adjustment to allow auxiliary domains and I find it very easy to tweak compared to a lot of other script blockers. I have multiple browsers on multiple computers with varying extension setups and I find the combination of ublock and umatrix to be very fast and powerful. On anything I've set up recently, that is what I've got. Adblock Plus, Noscript, Scriptblocker, Script safe and Ghostery are on my older setups. All of them work but Gorhill's are by far both the easiest to use and the most effective.

I don't visit many sites that have anti adblockers but a few that I have have thrown in the towel and stopped using them after a while. That suggests to me that the benefits were less than the negative reaction of the sites visitors.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

We know what the unit prefix means but its meaning in the uBlockO name most certainly has nothing to do with micro-managing, yet everything to do with it being lean and fast.From the thread started by Raymond himself, uBlock, a lean and fast blocker is a quote from Raymond's first post:

I think it's safe to say he uses the micro symbol to infer its lightweight footprint on system memory and cpu.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

4. To me the tip of Sempei Nihira to block an anti-adblock by using the element picker and manually changing a rule, looks like a classic example of micro managing a filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  5. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

In that view, may be you can say that! But those are the things are common in other types of ad-blockers too! (ABP with Element Hiding Helper add-on, Adguard,..)

However, the level of options it does provide, one can do the same things for anti-adblock like an example, i have given before, which can be compared with script-blocker for chrome you have given. Also, because of its granularity towards dealing with network requests it will give you more proper blocking with these kind of anti-adlocking/complex annoyances.

6. @harsha_mic @wat0114 @Nightwalker

Raymond did not wish to descend from his Hill, so I will take your word for it: micro = light.

Compared to other ad-blockers the element picker of uBlock is more user friendly than viewing page/frame sources and writing your own rules (element picker offers to create rules also). uBlock offers more control and more assistance to create your own filter rules. On top of that it has a script/iframe blocking feature (which is opt-in for advanced users).

I edited this post, so let's rephrase carefully: I have played with uBlock, but prefer a blocker with less options. I accept that less options comes with less granularity, but as shown with NYPOST example the solution is only one click away with ScriptBlocker for Chrome (either blacklist or whitelist).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  7. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

;)

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use MVPS Hosts file. It works fine for me. Am I totally out of date?

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The problem with ads is not just in-your-face. They are useless. I think that's the big problem.
    Imagine if ads actually took you somewhere nice, useful and you did things to better your life.
    Mrk

10. Advertisements are the business model where all internet and "free" services and content are based on. You can't have one without the other.

Adblockers were working fine when block rates were below double digit numbers. Ad blockers allowed a limited percentage of party peepers (including me) to have one (free) without the other (ads). Problem was Adblocking itself became a business model when acceptable ads were introduced and Adblockers themselves tried to dominate content delivery.

The luring perspective of the Adblocker being the man in the middle and the broker who determined which advertisements were allowed to pass, sky rocketed the number of available adblockers available (Rayond Hill being the only exception not wanting to make money out of the million downloads of his adblocker).

So now everybody is using an adblocker and it is just an accident waiting to happen: the business model of the free content will react, because

YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER

11. haakon

haakon Guest

It's unlikely anything can be done with this type of that's been showing up that look and deliver exactly like the legitimate content. Here's an example from a popular news service:

AdScam.jpg

This ad is exactly what ad blockers are all about. Because yeah, that's exactly what that 50+ gal looks like. :rolleyes:

While the image and text is pulled from the news site server, the link opens goo dot gl/redacted which directs to redacted dot com/alpha-numeric.php which opens a page containing one Flash (of course) video and a link that opens redacted dot com/redacted/free_ship1.php.

Why not a picture of the product, a bottle? The name of the product in the title and an interesting caption? Quite acceptable.

Anyone is free to sell any legal product whatever they want for whatever they want with claims about anything they want, but the details of this deal are typical. Judge for yourself...

For $50.94 you get a one month supply of a vitamin D3 dose blended with a couple of amino acids, blueberry powder and green tea extract. The primary anti-aging ingredient is the "miracle" amino acid L-Carnosine, a one month supply selling for $10-12 from big-name supplement brands. The $40 D3, powder and extract is for the hot 50+ babe!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2016
  12. Relatively unknown privacy extension Stealth (but you still need WEB RTC block)

upload_2016-6-22_15-11-22.png

13. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ublock-a-lean-and-fast-blocker.365273/page-13#post-2422294
    #316=

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If you want to be avantgarde, you should pronounce it oo-block, like u-boat.
    Mrk

15. gorhill

gorhill Guest

You have a URL for such page?

16. Sampei Nihira

17. Petrovic

Petrovic Registered Member

18. Sampei Nihira

As shown by the images with Noscript is not necessary.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

20. hawki

hawki Registered Member

The best Anti-Adblocker "Tech" is to stop feeding an offending website your traffic. ****.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.