The pros & cons of alternative browsers

Discussion in 'polls' started by slammer_JvA, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

For IE 6.0

The Pro ... errm ... it is a fine browser BUT ...

The Cons ... errm ... I need to sleep and not constantly being paranoid by virus etc. Security is a major problem here. So I ditched it for Firefox.

It's getting a bit boring now after looking at M$ and IE for so many years ... really getting bored with it now.

For Firefox 0.9.3

The Pro ... a refreshing start for me with far better security feature than IE 6.0.

I love the simple thing ... the Tab browsing.

I love the minimalist approach. The Firefox Safe Mode is very good. I think adding some extension can be alright but not too many as it will be bloated.

The cons ... if you click "back" it will not go to the last thing you view but rather back to the top of the page. Not a major problem but that is a small Must Have feature which is not available now.

The font magnifying feature i.e. increase text size or decrease text ... should remain at the size you want once you have increased or decreased the size.

Extension can be difficult to manage at time if you have too many of them or keep changing them. I don't have any extension but I foresee this as a problem for many.

The story.

I have been using M$ and IE for a long time. I don't know other system ... errm ... until recently when my system got infected by VX2 virus and Backdoor downloader KL etc.,

So I started looking around and found Mozilla Firefox (someone introduced it to me on another forum as I asked for help dealing with virus) ...

Then I installed it (by the way, I have never installed any software until I found Firefox 0.9.0 at that time) ... woww! what a refreshing start. I got hooked and my desire to learn more had driven me to the conclusion that ...

Security is my prime objective when on the net.

Firstly, I will switch browser to other safer browser forever i.e. to the most / more secure one rather than IE 6.0 ...

Secondly, I am in the process of learning other OS such as Linux SuSE 9.1 Pro and KDE etc., or Mac if I can afford.

Thirdly, to complete switch to other sytem entirely for good next year ...

The bottom line.

Take the minimalist approach.

If you choose a browser that is "powerful" like M$ IE or a browser that will do everything and come with too many features ... then you better expect more security breach there.

If you choose something that is simple or something that is easy to manage then perhaps the chances of you staying on top of the security issues might be far better than a bloated one.

In my opinion ...

Micro$oft is a solution pre-2000 for many BUT post-2000 Micro$oft will be a problem for many.

You can debate about this as much as you want but that is a fact. Security is a main issue and will stay that way for many years to come.

Imagine if Micro$oft is Defence (I bet Micro$oft wants that too) ... and it has one of its "click" on the long range missile ... Click! Click! There you go. Blame it on virus ... or hackers ... or etc. Too late.

:eek:

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

So far I like FF and I have these extensions:

Attached Files:

3. Ffox

Ffox Guest

So how do you configure adblock? Installed it but couldn't block anything.

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Ok, now, I feel that I am being put into the somewhat uncomfortable position of sorting through some of the disinformation:
    1. If you run IE and install Macromedia Flash, chances are the you are running an ActiveX component. Flash has been programmed both as an ActiveX control and as a Netscape-style plugin (this is called dual-authoring).
    2. Up until IE 5.5 SP2, both ActiveX and Netscape plugins were supported; now, as I understand it, IE only supports the ActiveX methodology.
    3. ActiveX controls are COM components that support specific interfaces. Nothing more, nothing less.
    4. ActiveX controls are implemented as "ocx" files. An "ocx" file is basically the same thing as DLL file.
    5. DLL files run "in-process", meaning as part of and in the context of the process that calls them. Thus, ActiveX components only run in "supervisor mode" (I assume you mean with Administrator-level privileges) if the hosting process has such privileges.
    6. IE runs with the privileges of the current user. Therefore, no, ActiveX controls do not fly off into Administrator level security contexts on their own accord (unless there is some sort of unpacthed process-elevation vulnerability that you are discussing).
    7. Plugins are implemented as DLL files that export specific entry points, and accordingly they also will run in the same security context as the host process.
    8. ActiveX controls are unquestionably a powerful tool, as can be any code that you give permission to run on your system, and Microsoft can be faulted for not always fully and clearly delineating and explaining the risks taken when they do run. Perhaps, like something like a chainsaw, they aren't appropriate for casual use by those not expecting or knowledgeable of the risks taken.
    9. However, I do not agree that ActiveX controls should in all instances be banned. They can be very useful and can often be one of the easiest and most powerful means of providing certain useful features (eg, Windows Update, Online AV scanners, Corporate Intranets/Web Applications, etc.)
    10. Lastly, you claim that you have never seen an ActiveX control downloaded with full specs, docs, and eula. I have. Admittedly, rarely so on downloaded controls, but there are probably hundreds of 3rd party developers that sell ActiveX controls and components to other developers. Just pick a software development magazine that is even remotely affiliated with Windows development and you will find ads for such controls. Certainly, many of these component developers have moved on to the supporting of .NET and aren't technically ActiveX proper anymore, but they definitely were so for at least 5 years. Since they were developed for use by other developers, in many cases I saw much fuller specifications, licensing terms, and operational details on some ActiveX code then I have seen on the generic applications that you install routinely.

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

:) Thanks for your info ;)

Sorry to all for hijacking this topic

6. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D Accepted!!
    PRO- viding my other securities are in place..
    What I'm seeing here is this...
    :) I only have one browser, IE6. ;) In addition to my mailserver, Outlook Express. ( I know my wife keeps telling me )
    In my limited knowledge ( tiny mind ) I find this manageable.

Your not CON-vincing me I should have more than that... How can I learn two or more browser programs, or if I get Opera or FireFox do I do away with all others?
    It seems to me that FF & Opera & others are using 2 or more browsers. Why is that?

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Valkyri001, ;)
    I never use IE, only for online banking.
    Why? Because it's required to use IE.
    For the secure sites, like forums, I'm using Slimbrowser and for others I only use Opera. That's why I need these two.
    Also it's not difficult to learn how to use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.