"The Page cannot be displayed"

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by recusant, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recusant

recusant Registered Member

I think I may be too unsophisticated to use this forum -- but here goes. In recent weeks when moving within a link I keep getting at some point "This page cannot be displayed." If I am trying to buy something, for instance, the "This Page Cannot" announcement occurs after I'm all finished and click to the payment page. So I have to find a phone number & buy it by phone, a real drag, or decide not to buy it -- not too bad, after all. I even get eventually a "This Page.." when I'm searching my public library link. I today installed Spybot Search and Destroy, which said it removed all evil things. I went through a Microsoft online tutorial and reconfigured ALL my Internet Options -- By the way, I'm a writer and only user of my cpu which runs Windows XP. However, even when I was running the Search and Destroy program I got the dreaded "This Page..." at one point. This began happening about four months ago. Tonight during insomnia I spent about seven hours on it, including telephone help from my dsl folks and so on. Is all this somehow too lame a question for you folks?

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi recusant, welcome to the forums :)

I have moved your thread from test forum to here for better attention. ~ TAS

If you are getting the "This Page Cannot be Displayed" message when trying to purchase something online, it may be because you have blocked Java Script from running within your browser settings.
    While blocking can be a good thing, it can also restrict certain web functions while browsing, using online payment, etc for one thing.

Or simply, your ISP is having troubles, etc.

Another thing you can try, completely empty all your temporary internet files and cookies, something may be corrupt in there causing this blocking.

One more thing that comes to mind, are you running a HOSTS file, maybe sites are being blocked from access there also.

Trouble is the problems can be caused by a number of things.

Someone else may step in and offer more advice here.

Cheers, TAS

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Tas
    i'm having the same problem,accessing my bank info,I checked and dont have java script blocked and have emptied all temporary internet files and cookies and i even went and restored all ie defaults and still receive this message.funny thing i can access it on the computer i rarely use.What is a host file--its the only thing i havent checked out.
    thanks
    rita

4. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Recusant

There is no such thing as being to un-sophisticated to post....no such thing at all.........so post away...
    The problem you are experiencing is not so un-common....but finding the proper answer can be...some good suggestions have already been make.
    On thing....a pre-caution....what looks like a "real" link...could be just another way to obtain your personal info...credit card number etc.....so watch you bill closely..............just a pre-caution.
    This error you mention could also mean nothing more than that the website that you tryed to access no longer exsists....the url is bad.....I get such displays often at the older websites..when trying to download a program.......
    You mention the "evil" having been removed......an that you purchase on the internet..........not a good combination...if your computer was infested.
    So again..as a pre-caution...watch that credit card billing////
    may I respectfully suggest you take some time to read the numerous posts in the forums.......just to see if perhaps you can enhance your security to prevent future infection.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

6. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Rita

A host file is simply a folder that contains certain "addresses" of sites that you don't want your computer connecting to....in short..a hosts file contains a LIST......(this is a very simple explanation).
    In your case...have you requested the help of your bank?? Their tech support should be willing to guide you through this...if not....go in person an ask "why not"

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Gerard
    thanks for the links,i'll go check them out
    Rita

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Snow Guy
    Where can i find the folder of my restricted sites?I know its something in this computer because i can access it from the other one,i just wonder whats wrong in this one.I figure its something i must have it blocked someway but i have restored defaults in ie and it still wont work but i know within reason its something I've stupidly done.i guess i need to leave things alone.i'm always changing things--expermenting--learning trial and error but how else can a person learn.thanks for your reply
    rita

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

RITA

LOL..you are much to hard on yourself.....you have courage.....an the willingness.......that you can be very proud of..

About your question......actually there are two answers...but I will only give you the easy one.......internet explorer has "ZONES"....one of those ZONES is the RESTRICTED ZONE.....there is where you will find every address that you have placed in the restricted zone.

To located these "ZONES" within internet explore....right-click on the IE icon....you will see "PROPERTIES".....click on that....a new window will open an you will see TABS.....click on the one that says SECURITY....an look for RESTRICTED ZONE......SITES

Thats as far as you should go Rita...yes, there is another way of locating "ZONES" in the registry....not a good place to play LOL...not suggested.....

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hey snow guy
    I went and checked and the site wasnt in the restricted zone and while i was there i added it to the trusted sites and tried again to access it and it still gave the message page cannot be displayed.hopefully i'll figure it out sometime but in the meantime at least i can access it from the other computer.thanks for your help--appreciate it
    rita

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

RITA

Actually I would have been very surprised if the site was in the restricted zone...you did well to place it in the trusted zone....but also, personally I would not leave the trusted zone "wide open"

my guess is..the site you are trying to reach "wants something".....perhaps to download a cookie........your security setting may be to high to allow the site a connection.....all in all I would again suggest that you contact the bank....its in their best interest to help you..a customer.......being the particular site you mention its not something you would want to take for granted....it needs corrrecting..........
    For now I must shut-down for the night.....one thing you may try is take a look at the security settings on your "other" computer that can access the site...an then apply those setting to your newer computer.....

good wishes RITA.....

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Good morning Snow Guy
    Today i am going to try and see if there is any other setting on the other computer that is different from this one.Also I will call the bank and see if there is anyway they can help.thanks so much for helping me.you have a good day.
    rita--I will post back if I get this solved.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi, Recusant, a couple of things:

First, I need some more information, are you on Broadband, are you using a SOFTWARE firewall?

At the bottom of the Page Cannot be Displayed message do you see something like this: "Cannot find server or DNS error".

Also, if you are using a Popup Stopper of some sort try turning it off for that site.

Good luck,
    Acadia

14. dannyboy

dannyboy Guest

15 year old son fixed it. I was asleep, so I am not 100% sure what he did. Says he found references to receive window (RWIN) being set too small & something about MTU. Went to www.dslreports.com "Tests+ Tools" and ran "Tweak Test" and downloaded something to set registry options. Everything works now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.