The New Norton 2014 Product Line

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c2d, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I have to agree. Norton is very very light. I'm using an app called DI Radio wich is a tiny and simple radio streaming app and when i open a new page in Chrome the music slows down and it's very annoying. Also check with youtube. The audio is very bad when you open new webpages under Kaspersky, BD or Avast but no problem under Norton. Maybe it has to do something with their webfilter?

2. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

It has a lot to do with how the webfilter works. Some are just based on simple URL / IP blacklisting, whereas others scan the content of a website in detail. The latter method needs more hardware resources and may cause significant delays in the rendering of the website. Certainly your hardware, the complexity of the website and the amount of simultaneously opened tabs are another major factor in the experience of slowdowns.

Regarding Symantec, I don't know how their webfilter operates in comparison to Kaspersky and others. Kaspersky is very thorough and definitely noticeable, quite possibly annoyingly so. If this kind of in-depth web scanning is even necessary, is another topic and I don't want to kick off a debate about the necessity of web scanning.

3. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Norton does not have a web-filter per se. Not similar to the other AV vendors, which have http/https scanner.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well then I keep my lips :blink: ;)

5. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I agree with you. Norton browser addons block malicious URLs whereas scanning of contents of web pages is done by Intrusion Prevention System (IPS). IPS can be tested by visiting this page meant to test Kaspersky web av heuristics: -www.kaspersky.com/test/jim.htm- Norton will block this page:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.