The New Norton 2014 Product Line

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c2d, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinem

rinem Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424118,00.asp

:D

2. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Thanks Steve1955...I think in my case...it was simply a matter of adjustment to the new layout...I located Custom Scan and the old Scheduler appeared...so everything is back to a semblance of normalcy...by the way the new Norton has to be one of the most responsive apps on the market...very impressed. Sincerely...Securon

3. forumhound

forumhound Registered Member

I was going to ask this question. Most annoying that it still doesn't give you the option. pretty much the only reason I stick with Eset Smart Security is because it lets me decide what to do when a threat is detected.

4. vojta

vojta Registered Member

You can set it to 'ask' for real time protection. In an on demand scan Norton only asks when it considers that the risk is low (PUPs and things like that, I guess).

5. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

On the first item, when KIS is normally running (i.e. you are not going into settings, whatever) personally I donot think it is a memory hog.
    However, once you are going a bit deeper into the settings (for example: Firewall->Configure application rules), well, then you have to wait for a while ... (with me 20 seconds)

=
    SnagIt-23092013 103930.png
    =

You may indeed be right as far as the setting details is concerned.
    On Kaspersky forum there is some talk about it, see:
    "KAV 14.0.0.4651 some useful features removed, merged with same"

=
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=270839&st=40
    =

6. Norton360

Norton360 Registered Member

Hi, mate can you point me where to change this?

I can only set to ask the SONAR protection, but not "Auto-Protect", which is the one which basically empty my whole computer and hard disks of files :'( because I can't tell it what to ignore when I'm moving and opening files.

It simply deletes everything assuming they are true infected files.

I don't want to use whitelists, I want to be asked when norton thinks a file is dangerous and let me decide the action to choose.

7. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

You can't.

8. Norton360

Thanks King Grub.

One thing, I wonder since many years ago why when norton antivirus detects and removes a virus, most of times it needs to restart computer to completely "remove and clean" the computer (even with false positives).

I mean, I have not seen any other antivirus wich has to restart computer almost each time it detects a virus with its real time protection (I can talk about the same "files", and different antivirurses, and only norton has to restart the computer).

Honestly I can't be restarting my puter every time I get a warning :'(

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Honestly,did you ever think to try something else?:D

10. Norton360

If you had read my post you would have seen I did.

11. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Don't get me wrong,i have an unused license for NIS and i like it,really.But when it comes to do whatever by itself with no settings...bye bye,no matter what.That's why i'm using another AV...

12. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

13. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

I noticed that too. Considering they suddenly pulled out of AV-C not long ago because they opposed detection tests (and did horribly when allowed), it might just be overrated here for being so light and stable. Other tests show the protection (not detection) is very good though, so the 2014 version is probably designed just to keep the system clean but not to be that effective when it hits the fan.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It would be nice to get clear information about this. According to the PCmag.com review Symantec's objection to the AV-C tests was they weren't an accurate assessment of how the program actually works. I don't know if that's true but the program performed quite well in the pcmag.com tests. Neil lays out quite clearly what his tests consist of and how he scores the results. People may not all agree with his methodology, but it's a whole lot better than the typical youtube review where someone just throws a bunch of malware samples at the machine. That said I've seen Norton do poorly in the past with scareware/ransomware and I don't know yet if this latest version is any better. I would like to see it tested against those types of threats.

15. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  16. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Got a problem here with my Chrome extensions.
    NIS2014 installs one or two extensions in Chrome?
    Cause FF and IE there are two but in my Chrome thers only one ext.
    Also Chrome isnt blocking harmfull websites, just showing positve/negative search results in google etc.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

There seems to be just one extension.

18. Norsi

Norsi Registered Member

That's correct - there's only the "identity protection"-addon 'cause Chrome doesn't need an extra vulnerability protection (unlike IE or FF).

I gotta say that the Norton toolbar for Chrome tends to crash sometimes unfortunately.

19. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Anyone having issue w/ Live Update *not* updating on NIS 2014?

I just checked the "Live Update" menu and it said that it had not updated in the last 16 days (since Oct. 4th). I manually did a live update and it downloaded 152mb worth of updates including a patch (which I applied).

Did a restart and waiting to see if Live Update will actually update itself this time. Is this a known issue/bug or is it just my NIS that is messed up?

20. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

LiveUpdate works just fine on my system.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nope. What build number do you have installed? I am on 21.1.0.18.

22. RamGuy

RamGuy Registered Member

How is Norton fairing compared to the competition these days? Ever since Symantec dropped the ball and left the AV-Comparatives reports I have no real clue about how their latest offerings are comparing to the competition.. And I find it somewhat suspicious that they've decided to not be a part of the AV-Comparatives awesome reports and tests anymore.

All I've got to judge from these days are the Norton forums (which of course consists of Norton users which either love or hate their offerings...), AV-test.com which don't really make any in-depth comparisons and matousec.com which only tests out the firewall portion which tend to be rather rubbish no matter what you chose and I would normally go for a separate Anti-Virus and Firewall solution anyways.

I'm having a really hard time picking between Norton Anti-Virus, Kaspersky Anti-Virus and BitDefender Anti-Virus (Plus?) to go with my Malwarebytes and Comodo Firewall. I work at a retailer so I can get Norton 360 Multi-Device (aka Norton 360 Premium) free of charge but it includes a whole bunch of features I have no interest in.. Sadly Symantec have stopped offering PROMO's of Norton Anti-Virus for their retailers... I could still get a free PROMO of Norton Internet Security and simply disable the firewall and live with all the nagging about my system not being secure due to the fact that I have disabled the firewall even though I've got a superior solution in Comodo Firewall going anyways but I'd rather pick up Kaspersky or BitDefender instead if they actually offer superior protection these days compared to Norton. But there is really no way for me to compare as I don't know of any half-decent website that actually have Norton in their comparisons anymore.

How do people find and rate Norton 2014? Should I go for Norton as my Anti-Virus option, or should I pick Kaspersky or BitDefender instead?

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! RamGuy...having just obtained a License for Kaspersky I.S.2014...I was amazed at the lack of bloat on my system. I'm very impressed with the new Kaspersky...so to answer your query...I personally would chose Kaspersky. Go to Kaspersky's website and take it for the 30 day trial run! Sincerely...Securon

24. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Hello, RamGuy,

One thing to consider - Kaspersky AV is quite picky when it comes to 3rd party firewalls. I have used Norton AV with outpost firewall, I think it will go OK with Comodo too. One of the strengths of Norton AV is that it has vulnerability and exploit protection (IPS) included and it does an excellent job at network level. For example, even with the IS suite, when you do a port scan at GRC Shields up, the port scan is blocked by this, not by the firewall, Norton AV also blocks port scans and other intrusion techniques and exploits. As Comodo doesn't have this included it will be a nice addition.

25. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Bitdefender and Kaspersky are ressource hogs, just watch the cpu with the task manager while you open multiple webpages at once. With Norton (turn off Performance Monitoring) the cpu stays at 0%-0.5% most of the times and offers the same protection like BD and Kaspersky.
    Also if u reboot often then the whitelist cache must be rebuilt every time you launch an app for the first time causing very very high CPU usage. Thats not the case with Norton. If you reboot with Norton and launch even multiple apps at once the CPU stays very low at 1% maximum. Do the same with BD and Kaspersky and u can go make a coffee. Nortons whitelisting is amazingly efficient. Only Webroot comes close. Im running ESET now and to get similar results i need to turn off scanning of all files (scan only default extensions), scan only while writing new files and turn off Advanced Heuristics. Tweaking Kaspersky and BD doesnt reduce much CPU usage imo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.