The New Norton 2014 Product Line

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c2d, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Works for me on Outlook 2013 64-bit.

2. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Is there a way to turn off automatic Quick Scans? I always starts when im doing an image of my system...
    If its not possible to turn off im going to uninstal NIS. Im getting tired of all this babysitting NIS thinks the user needs.

3. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

No, there hasn't been a way to turn those off since they were introduced in the 2009 version. They run after every Live Update updates the signatures, usually three times per day.

4. malexous

malexous Registered Member

You could add the imager to the Quiet Mode list or, so a Quick Scan never runs automatically, an executable that is always running.

LiveUpdate and other things will not run automatically during Quiet Mode, though.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

that's not correct:-if it ran after every live update it would run over 100 times/day,are you sure its not a background scan starting because you PC is more or less idle or the idle time optimizer?quick scan only runs if you start it yourself,check history?sorry I forgot:-I'm back on 2013 product so what I have said is related to that ,2014 may run differently

6. King Grub

I am not talking about the pulse updates. The Live Updates with full definitions updates only happen three times a day.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/multipledaily/

7. steve1955

that's the business products,home products do update more frequently,not talking about pulse updates either,norton doesn't run a "quick scan" after updating, a "quick scan" is instigated by the user from the gui,it does however run a scan in the background,along with a few other tasks,if and when the pc is idle

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. King Grub

9. steve1955

how frequently the updates are available on the server is different from how often by default the product is set to check for updates:-by default nis is set to update every hour(or check every hour)pulse updates are more frequent

10. King Grub

It's set to check for Live updates every hour. They are only released a couple of times per day, at most, though. After each such, a quick scan runs. A quick scan doesn't run after Live Update checks for updates if there is no update to download, only after a succesful update.

11. steve1955

doesn't run a scan on any of pcs it is installed on here after any updates,if any are left for any period though it does start what it says is background tasks,possibly a scan of sorts,but running a quick scan manually removes a few cookies I need for some sites this never happens when it runs automatically so it is either not scanning same areas or possibly not actually running a scan at all,there are modules in nis to do other tasks apart from that,they just call it idle time optimizer,it even sets off defrag if disk is above a certain threshold

12. King Grub

The optimizer is not remotely the same thing.

The quick scan after a live update kicks in once the system goes into an idle state, forgot to say.

13. steve1955

a quick scan will show in the history,you know:-the little thing in the gui under computer protection if you have the gui set to advanced!,none shows in the list,hence it hasn't run

14. King Grub

Then something is amiss on your system. The way it is coded is a quick scan runs when a system enters an idle state after a succesful live update.

15. steve1955

does it show in history on yours? not just one system here,19 in total,all showing same info in history,its actually coded to run when system is idle,not after an update as these pc's are very rarely idle then its prob that that is stopping them initiating a quck scan in the background,our employees are instructed to turn of their PC's when finishing shifts not to leave them permanently on,hence very little down/idle time while turned on

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  16. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Been running NIS 2014 for something like 2 weeks now on Win 7 64-bit, and it has been simply awesome. Very smooth. Its hard to tell for sure, but things seem even faster than they were before.

I really like the cloud-based Norton ID-Safe integration, especially they way it works on iOS devices.

Definitely a keeper.

17. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Norton is definitely the most polished and advanced AV, maybe not protection wise, but features, performance, and usability for sure. The most practical, non bloatware piece of software atm :thumb:

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't tried the latest version, but based on the 2012v I'd mostly agree. I've never found "performance monitoring" to be of any value and always turn it off since it adds overhead. I like the UI and I especially like the fact that it both installs and uninstalls very quickly. Unfortunately Norton AV/IS/360 continues to do a poor job with scareware/ransomware in my recent experience. Does the new 2013v do any better?

19. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

smooth runing, good protection, almost Everything you need !!

Symantec - Norton

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Based on what I have seen on their forums it probably isn't great with those things, but I have been using it with EMET, MBAM (on demand) and AdblockPlus and have not had an issue with anything getting through in many years. Though I believe there is better protection to be had from other suites, NIS is the only 2014 suite I have used that is not horribly broken in some way, while still keeping up with Firefox updates.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'd be interested to know which other suites you've tried and found to be "broken". I've tried a couple of other things which have worked pretty well (though I can't say unequivocally that they offer better protection than NIS). Feel free to PM if you feel it's too off topic.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

PM sent. My only gripe with Norton in recent years is the way it handles false positives (deletes them without asking) but in all fairness, I have seen very little of that in the last 2 years.

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just upgraded to Norton A/V 2014...one small issue, I tried too set-up a Scan Schedule for Quick Scans during the week...but when I try to enter Quick Scan in the Schedule box it's greyed out and defaults to Full System Scan...which is already set-up for Saturday's. Any feedback on how you set-up the Scan Schedule? Sincerely...Securon

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

25. steve1955

did you use custom scan option?you can schedule a quick scan via that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.