The New Norton 2014 Product Line

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c2d, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

2. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

It just goes to show how much emphasis testers put on real-world testing (as they should). Everything else does matter, but not as much.

3. Quad

Quad Registered Member

PC Mag always does this with Symantec/Norton products, overly high ratings...

4. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Norton 2014 is very good. No problem at all in my system.

Kaspersky 2014, on the other hand, slowed down my internet connection.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Wow. Though I have had no troubles with it, that review makes me want to remove it. If it corrupted my machines to an unbootable state I would be highly displeased. :doubt:

This adds a lot of credibility to hawki's posts (not that I doubted he had problems, but it appears more likely they were not isolated).

6. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Nortons main problem is that they can't create something new. They are just renaming their products every year. They should develop new technologys to improve the product performance against zereo day malware and especially ransomware. Sonar is not enough.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

most companies don't create anything new year on year they just develop what they already have on the market,when they do create something new it normally gives end users loads of headaches,take a look back at Kaspersky with their kav/kis6/7 ranges of products

8. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I'm getting NIS 2014 via work, my main concern is, how good is it at blocking PUPs? My dad uses my computer a lot and he's the type of guy to click Next---next.. you get the idea :|

What would be a good complementary protection to NIS, something that wouldn't clash and can reside side by side alongwith NIS on the same system?

9. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Yeah but since the 2009 version they are just polishing their product. A sandbox would be nice. It could cooperate with the reputation system and sonar and put every unknown file in it.

10. steve1955

same with Kaspersky or most companies,they all just polish their products and tend to market as "new" when only really new thing is their GUI,the engine(that's what they seem to like to be referred to!) is usually just the same but with slight enhancements to cope with newer type threats,I've actually uninstalled latest version of Norton and "gone back" to 2013 product due to a pretty drastic crash,this PC has never ever crashed since I built it! and the fact only smart defs are used in updates:-last thing probably a bit of paranoia on my part

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I was just thinking the same thing. Someone had an epiphany and the team created the dramatically improved 2009 product line. Since then they've been coasting - incrementally improving the existing technology, but not developing anything new. They seem to be losing ground now compared with other products. As I mentioned earlier the Norton line doesn't seem to be able to handle ransom/scare-ware and I don't know if it's any good against rootkits either. A couple of years ago it was demonstrated that it couldn't block zeroaccess and I don't know if they ever fixed that. I personally cleaned a system where NIS couldn't remove the TDSS rootkit. And does it have keylogging and screen grabbing protection?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  12. steve1955

when was that? TDSS was a pain originally,it too all vendors months to come up with an effective remedy,some longer than others

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Sorry, but I can't give you a precise date. I believe it was one of the 2011 Norton products which on that occasion did flag the TDSS rootkit as an unknown threat, but couldn't accurately identify or remove it. MBAM did identify and remove.

14. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

If guess your dad is not used with HIPS or BB...what about MBAM pro?I think it would complement 99% your protection against PUPs.

15. rinem

rinem Registered Member

I think this is one of the lightest AVs out there. Zero slowdown while browsing. Only WSA can compete with this.
    :thumb:

16. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

MBAM pro sounds good, but wouldn't it create problems if the realtime protection of MBAM pro is active at the same time alongwith NIS? Honest question as i haven't used this combo before. Also, I'll be setting SONAR (in NIS) to aggressive, just in case.

17. JoeBlack40

I think you will have no problem if you put each program on the other's real time exceptions list.

18. steve1955

that used to be the case but I think both vendors have made their products compatible with each other now,think I read that a few months back but may be best to confirm with them

19. steve1955

you can limit what he can download/install by using tools already built into the OS

20. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Not necessary. I was running Norton 360 along MBAM just fine on Win 7 x64 and Win 8 x64, no exceptions needed.

21. JoeBlack40

It is always advisable to do it,especially when you have two real time AM scanners IMHO,even if there are no "visible" issues.Here at wilderss we should know better.

22. entropism

entropism Registered Member

It's listed as compatible, and so I treat it as such. Please stop with the "Here at wilders we know better" stuff, it's just unnecessary.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Exceptions are usually just about detections, so unless 1 of your programs suddenly detects the other program as malicious, then it will not help. A few programs support process exclusion, in which case they will not scan all files accessed by the excluded process. Using that you can prevent double-scanning so then it is useful with multiple real-time scanners.

24. JoeBlack40

If you treat it in your own way,doesn't mean that the others must do it too and doesn't make you a genius either.In the end,it's the poster's choice.End of story.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  25. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I am trying NAV 2014. Download insight works and webpages are scanned with IE 10 enhanced protected mode even though addons related to vulnerability protection and identity protection are disabled. There is no noticeable system impact even with maximum settings:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.