The new, "friendly" TDS forum

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Phil, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Does anyone know how to access the TDS forum without being accused of wrong doing? I followed Paul's link in the Port Explorer forum and was greeted with the following at TDS:

<quote>
    You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
    </quote>

So I think, "Well, maybe Paul put the wrong link". So I register, get my response via email, and follow the link provided in the email. Guess what I get when trying to access any forum or even the search function:

<quote>
    You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
    </quote>

I guess it's a good thing I am a paying customer. I wonder how they treat people that just drop by for information! o_O

I think somebody at TDS needs an attitude adjustment. :D

Phil

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

and so it starts how sad

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Phil,

I'm sure it's just temporary. You know how things go right after a change is made. ;)

The wording of those messages is standard for that type of forum. Most of us use pre-packaged forum software and that one just uses that wording. It sounds a lot tougher than it is.

It'll be fixed soon. DCS won't let you down!

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

4. LowWaterMark

It appears that after you register, and receive your activation email, and click on the link provided in it to activate your account, the next web page you see says:

Now, this sounds like you need to wait on specific Moderator action, and a second confirmation email, before your full membership is activated. This is not out of the norm for forums that require registration. In fact, it is very common.

So, it's only a matter of time I'm sure. :)

Edit: Oh, and one other suggestion, that type of forum software (like this YaBB SE board) works best if you put the domain in your browsers trusted zone. Some of the functions on the pages use JavaScript. Adding "*.diamondcs.com.au" ought to do it.

5. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I'm not sure "tough" is the word I would use. :D :D

Phil

6. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Humm -- somehow I didn't see that page -- just straight to the "you are a criminal" page. Maybe because I am using Phoenix and not Exploder. <shrug>

THANK YOU for checking it out. I wasn't real sure what was going on. Maybe I should give it another go with IE -- or maybe not. If I have to jump through too many hoops, they don't need me there. I assume they still answer email support questions, although I sent one to Jason a few days ago and am still waiting. I'm sure he will get around to it.

Yeah, maybe so, but when I do use IE, I don't have ANY site in the trusted zone except one. If MS Update would work without being there, I wouldn't even have one. :D

Thank you for your help!
    Phil

7. Mr.Blaze

Phil looking at your post makes me realize as a newby the importants of haveing TDS on this bord as well i mean its not a good ideal to put your eggs in one basket.

and this is why we need tds here as well for newbys like me and you to get suport no mater where we are at :D

8. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Yeah -- it would be *nice* if TDS was still on this board, but things change. It really doesn't matter to me where they are as long as I can get there. At this point, I can't. Oh, well.

Phil

9. Mr.Blaze

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Phil.

I get to the private forum with Phoenix or Mozilla.
    You don't have to use IE to get there.At least not in my experience.

I seem to recall having problems getting in when I registered.
    DiamondCS support took care of it for me.
    I e-mailed them and they did something from their end.
    Regards,
    the Tester.

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Same I use mozilla/ Pheonix. Just email them phill.

12. LowWaterMark

Confirmed. There is a second confirmation email from DCS support that you receive to tell you your account has been activated. At this point, you'll have access to the forums.

As I said before, this is all pretty normal stuff in terms of registering on that type of forum software. Definitely contact DCS Support if you have any problems getting in, or if you don't receive your activation / confirmation emails, as I'm sure they will fix any problem quickly. :)

13. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I just got a note from Wayne -- you are correct, the verbiage does belong to the forum software. It will be changed to something we are a little more used to seeing from DiamondCS. There is still a little boo-boo with my password. I'll get there -- eventually. ;)

Thanks again for your help.
    Phil

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm sorry for all having problems accessing the DCS forums.
    When i came from another computer recently so without the forum cookie on it, i noticed problems too when using the normal URL
    www.diamondcs.com.au/forum/index.php
    It worked better for me to go to the DCS site
    www.diamondcs.com.au and from there via the navigation bar to the forums. Why? I don't know, only i know they are building on their sites and forums and DNS things have to be solved.
    In one of the DCS threads here about the removal (think it was in the WG forum) i posted the little Forums script, change TXT extension into SS3 and load it from TDS; it should give you the jumps with a buttonclick to either of the original DCS forums here and there, while playing your favorite jukeboxmusic.
    If you really want, you can use from TDS the "custom browser" script and make your own browser. Works fine, i used it for sites which kept giving access problems due to their own errors or not IE6 ready.
    So with all this, and your password added etc hope to see you all back soon in the DCS forums. Always interesting stuff there, family, fun, security is made fun too with DCS. See the forums! Don't miss a moment!

Added the little Forums script here too. Don't forget to change the extention into SS3 before loading it. In the TDS private forums (registered operators only) in SS3 section is the additional image belonging to it.

15. Yupp

Yupp Guest

Rubbish. People have a right to ask questions without revealing their identity. TDS is demanding identification - and will decide on unknown parameters if one is "granted" to join their so called "open" forums. In plain words: it sucks.

Wilder's has offered support no matter what - and that's [/b]real[/b] support in my view. Gotta hunt for another AT now - and that's a real pitty.

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Yupp,

We were originally a closed forum, and users didn't mind a semi anonymous name - I could have used Gavin C :)

Due to the change, we are changing ! It is an issue we are taking care of. Aliases will soon be allowed, and forum signup will be immediate without moderation. Users will still need to let us know who they are to get into the Private TDS section, where there will be little goodies and perhaps even giveaways in the future with the forums being all over there ;) I'm sure the board software and ISP can handle the load if we have a huge number of members coming on board with the new less restrictive signup system.

Jason is working on a custom mod for the forums now, so current users can have a "display name" as this forum allows :)

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yupp, if you have urgent questions in the meantime till you have gained your access --layered protection it is, for sure! :) --feel free to email either the DCS support team or me as a dedicated supporter --hey, the colors of my stars changed, but not my person or intentions to help you out as ever!
    The most urgent general info is still in the DCS parts overhere, so i hope you'll find the first necessary info to have your products going well, but we lov support you in the best way and this will be now in the special DCS forums. Closest by the fire with the dedicated DCS families, please know you're welcome to join.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.