The modern web is becoming an unusable, user-hostile wasteland

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Dec 22, 2019.

1. guest

guest Guest

The modern web is becoming an unusable, user-hostile wasteland
    December 20, 2019
    https://omarabid.com/the-modern-web

2. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone took notice of this post, but for those of us who've been paying attention this is nothing new and no surprise and we've long since reached the breaking point. Those who push advertising down everyones throats are despicable and those who mercilessly track you across the web should be thrown in jail for stalking.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

facebook wants to be a web within the web and as the example "samsung" points out some companys use this way. no need to build an own platform, just distributing content with a click after writing. you can buy there, you can have support there. easy way.

i know people who are able to build a home, to repair a car, but they dont know how to use a (desktop) computer, only whatsapp, but not typing, only voice messages. and thats all on smartphone for those. and i assume this group is growing, not only because of aging.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

These are the the exact same things that are annoying as hell to me! I hate it that sites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest force you to login. I also hate the stupid new style pop-ups. Not to forget about those dumb sites that make a browser almost crash even when ads are blocked. Think of CNET, I had to disable scripts completely, don't these guys feel any shame?

5. SAustn2

SAustn2 Registered Member

It's depressing.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

When you think of it, the web would be truly unusable without tools like uBlock, we should be thankful we can block most of this crap. I sometimes disable my adblocker because I want to support certain sites, but immediately the site becomes slow to load and you will get to see annoying animated ads. How am I suppose to concentrate on reading the article? And the people who invented auto playing and floating video's should be in jail.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Relevant topic and glad to see it myself.

The gummed up internet is to the degree that it belongs in a junkyard of other scrap material.

Its already so deteriorated for any real usefulness due to viewing content becoming overshadowed relentlessly & nearly impossible to focus on, as more ads are crammed in and other dancing animations which place an additional extra heavy load on resources & bandwidth that amounts to open thievery.

Even something as common that use to be simple to comb over headline topics, Google News, with that recent overhaul bogs my machine down the second it opens and takes gobs of time for the progress circle to finish spinning loading it's contents.

Its all a gummed up horrific mess. Furthermore, personally I find it mind boggling that groups actually get paid for fudging up sites with what amounts to unsightly and resource taxing graffetti that minimizes usability to those addresses.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

We will need a new 'super highway', or is that a 'pay way'?

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

It is all part of what is going with the rabbit hole.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

If your square-headed girlfriend has become more aggravating than ever, leave her alone. Think of something else to do.

11. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Ad blocking is just must these days.

You never know what nice "gifts" the marketing folks bring you.

In addition to loading your browser with tons of pop-ups, several JavaScript frameworks (because the geeks these
    days know nothing but jQuery), behind the scene AJAX requests, cookies and other things, you get a nice malware
    as a bonus too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leemat...lware-that-mines-cryptocurrency/#283a02847866

https://www.blog.geoedge.com/single...-Malvertising-Campaign-Hijacks-Users-Browsers

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ker-serves-up-steaming-pile-malware-ads.shtml

https://www.itproportal.com/2015/08/03/yahoos-ad-network-used-to-spread-malware/

12. SAustn2

SAustn2 Registered Member

And if you really feel like getting depressed about the modern web take a look at some of the software/internet companies listed on this webpage https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/

A very enlightening article.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  13. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Personally, I wish AdNauseam wasn't such a meh extension. Because it's a really neat idea to auto-click tracking ads, draining them dry in the process.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.